Santander loan settlement

Hi,

I have a personal loan with Santander. I went through a DMP but then came out and liaised with them directly.

They froze the interest on the loan, which was taken out for £8k. I pay £90.55 per month and the current balance is £1871.19.

I was thinking of writing to them and offering a full and final settlement of £750, which I will be able to pay by the end of the month.

I just wondered if anyone has any experience of them accepting offers, and if so whether there is any precedent in terms of the % of outstanding balance they may accept. I don't want to waste my time offering if they will just refuse it.

Thanks.

Comments

• I've been trying to get Santander to accept a 50% payment as a full and final settlement. They acted like they didn't know what one was. When I final understood what I meant they told me they prefer just to keep receiving my monthly payment.

Good luck my friend, do everything by post its a waste of time speaking to them on the phone.
    DMP - JAN 2016
    [STRIKE]Estimated DFD - August 2018[/STRIKE] December 2016
    100% Paid
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,724
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Full and final settlement offers only work well, when the debt has been passed around a bit, through various DCA's.

Original creditors show little interest in doing deals as there is no benefit to them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • gjs6385
    gjs6385 Posts: 295
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've written offering F&F of £750 on the o/s amount mentioned in my 1st post so will see what they say....I'm not holding out much hope but you never know...In the meantime I've stopped making my monthly payments whilst they are considering this offer.
  • I would suggest you keep on making the monthly payments.
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure