The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.
We've made some changed to Competitions Time. Please see this thread.

Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here

Comments

• rogart
    rogart Posts: 1,572
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Recieved this today, slight difference as no address is given.

Dear Microsoft User,
    RefID: d-1017578
    On behalf of everyone here at Microsoft Inc., I would like to sincerely
    congratulate you on your recent selection for inclusion on the short-list
    for the end-of-year Microsoft Subscribers Prize award.
    Your email with the above ref.ID was selected for a consolation prize of
    $250,000.
    Please send the below information for prize-booking.
    *Names. [ ]
    *Age. [ ]
    *Tel.: [ ]
    *Country of Residence. [ ]
    *How long have you been a subscriber of Microsoft? [ ]
    Send the attested copy of the filled short prize-booking form above via
    email to [EMAIL="microsys2008@hotmail.com"]microsys2008@hotmail.com[/EMAIL] or
    call Sr. Jevon Nolan on +44 703 1907 678.
    On behalf of the management and staff at Microsoft Inc., I wish you all
    the best in your future career and life endeavors, whatever they may be.

Signed by.: Mrs Colleen Payton
    Microsoft Systems Lottery.

Looks very amatuerish, won't be bothering!
  • I had that yesterday - posted it in the winner section - under scam:rolleyes:
    Back and on a mission:cool:
  • Seasons holidays. I received a recorded delivery letter from them this morning to tell me i had won a prize worth £2950. I got all excited and checked out the website, read the small print,became suspicious and then looked on MSE to see if anyone else had experiences of them. Lots of you have. Oh well it was exciting for a few minutes at least! Thanks for all the warnings it saved me the hard sell and the phone call! As you say, if it was a prize surely it wouldnt cost you £350 a year!!?
    What on earth is Linda Robson doing on the site? She must have got free membership too for allowing them to put her face on the site!

I received this letter today except it said I had won £3750 and had to claim by phone between 12 noon and 8pm Monday to Friday. I rang this number and was told all representatives were busy so leave a message and they will get back to me. I then looked up their URL to get some information and came across the warnings. Thanks for this but I am worried that I left my phone number and wondered if this is safe. I am very dissapointed in this company doing this to me as I have been entering competitions to try to win some money as my husband is ill and being self employed not earning so we really could do with some luck and I thought this had arrived when I received this letter by recordered delivery. All I can say is I hope others check this out like I did and I am sending them a letter of disgust for building my hopes up.
  • Today I received an official looking letter from Hamilton & Moore Associates. It read: Congratulations you are the sole recipient of account no. ******* and are now eligible to receive £490,000.00. The prize will be held for you until you respond asap (by post) according to the conditions of this letter. Hamilton Moore Associates has confirmed your eligibility award of £490.000.00 payable to the winner by certified cheque.

There is a reply envelope for which I have to put postage on and reply in 7 days. I also have to pay £19.95 for allocation and processing fee. Alas the address to send to is Toronto, Canada.

What I could do with this amount of money!!!!!! Alas heeding warning advice on this forum leads me to believe this is a scam. Any thoughts anyone?:rolleyes:
  • Today I received an official looking letter from Hamilton & Moore Associates. It read: Congratulations you are the sole recipient of account no. ******* and are now eligible to receive £490,000.00. The prize will be held for you until you respond asap (by post) according to the conditions of this letter. Hamilton Moore Associates has confirmed your eligibility award of £490.000.00 payable to the winner by certified cheque.

There is a reply envelope for which I have to put postage on and reply in 7 days. I also have to pay £19.95 for allocation and processing fee. Alas the address to send to is Toronto, Canada.

What I could do with this amount of money!!!!!! Alas heeding warning advice on this forum leads me to believe this is a scam. Any thoughts anyone?:rolleyes:

I wouldn't like to say for 100% sure but this sounds like a total scam. I think the bin would be the best place for this kind of letter.

As for Season's Holidays, I too had the recorded delivery letter a couple of weeks ago which I promptly shredded...yesterday they sent me a follow up saying that if I claimed the 'prize' they would reduce their fees (or something to that effect). Some prize :mad:
    Thanks to everyone who posts comps, I love winning prizes big and small
    :A:A:A:A:A:A:A:A
  • Text Scam ?

I received this message on my mobile phone twice

Free message: text OK now to 85115 if you want to receive your item now!
    Text OK to 85115 now! stop? text stop to 85115. Info? info.mypengo.com
    From 85115

I don't recognise the name or the number at all. Has anyone else received a similar message. I smell a rat.

Any thoughts please
  • lilias
    lilias Posts: 7,902
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Penny_Pete wrote: »
    Text Scam ?

I received this message on my mobile phone twice

Free message: text OK now to 85115 if you want to receive your item now!
    Text OK to 85115 now! stop? text stop to 85115. Info? info.mypengo.com
    From 85115

I don't recognise the name or the number at all. Has anyone else received a similar message. I smell a rat.

Any thoughts please

I found this

"MyPengoDescription:
    MyPengo is an innovative mobile content provider specialized in premium mobile content and content services through premium SMS"

So it sounds as if replying to them will cost you a fortune. Wonder who sold them your number.

See also
    http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/ukmypengocom-c78012.html
  • Many thanks for that lilias. Naturally I will not be responding to them and I hope this information helps anybody who receives a similar message from them.

Unfortunately I haven't the faintest idea how they got my number. It's a number I regularly put down when entering competitions so it's probably been sent through competition links hundreds and hundreds of times, so it's probably not too difficult for parasites like these to eventually get hold of it.

Thanks again

Penny Pete
  • Don't know if this is on this thread but they're at it again

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=436842

I had a call from them earlier today - alarm bells started ringing at the mention of a deposit (although they were already ringing - I'm pretty damn sure I wouldn't have entered a photoshoot comp - I have zero interest in such!) so told her to ring back, giving me time to look into it... :cool:

Call from number 02076310482
    2011: £30,000 on People's Postcode Lottery, Netbook, £35 voucher, 2x Xbox games
  • wokkies
    wokkies Posts: 8,459
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Dear Customer,

We have been waiting for you to contact us for your Confirmed Package that is registered with us for shipping to your residential location.We had thought that your sender gave you our contact details. It may interest you to know that a letter is also added to your package.However, we cannot quote its content to you via email for privacy reasons.The package is registered with us for mailing by the Halen Foundation, We are sending you this email because your package is been registered on a Special Order.

What you have to do now, is to contact our Delivery Department for immediate dispatch of your package to your residential address.

Note that as soon as our Delivery Team confirm your information, it will take only one working day (24 hours) for your package to arrive it's designated destination.For your information, the VAT & Shipping charges as well as Insurance fees have been paid for by your colleague before your package was registered.Note that the payment that is made on the Insurance, Premium & Clearance Certificates, are to certify that the Bank Draft is not a Drug Affiliated Fund (DAF) neither is it funds to sponsor Terrorism in your country. This will help you avoid any form of query from the Monetary Authority of your country.

Kindly note that your sender did not leave us with any further information.We hope that you respond to us as soon as possible because if you fail to respond until the expiry date of your package, we may refer the package to the British Commission for Welfare as the package do not have a return address.

Kindly complete the below form and send it to the email address given above.This is mandatory to reconfirm your Postal address and telephone numbers.

FULL NAMES:
    TELEPHONE:
    POSTAL ADDRESS:
    CITY:
    STATE:
    FEDEX ACCOUNT NUMBER (if avaliable):

Kindly complete the above form and summit it to the Delivery Manager

Dr. Morris Biden
    E-mail: fedexdispatchcentreintl00@gmail.com

Ensure to contact the delivery department with the email address given above and ensure to fill the above form as well to enable a successful reconfirmation.

Yours Faithfully,
    Mrs Barbara Hills .
    FedEx Online Team Management.
    All rights reserved. © 1995-2008
    This E-mail is only for the above addressees. It may contain confidential or Privileged information. If you are not an addressee you must not copy, distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it or any attachments.
    I'm 99.9% its a scam but half a percent not sure:rolleyes:
    to be updated:;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport