Freeview signal/aerial problem

Hi

I thought it would be a good idea to buy a freeview box for a portable tv upstairs - so i did - but i assume, due to the portable aerial, it doesn;t get a strong enough signal to transmit the channels - it finds them ok but there's no picture/sound, or its very blocky.

Is there any equipment that i could buy to solve this, dont really want to fork out to have the main aerial from the roof adapted just for this.

I've seen in dixons that you can get "aerial boosters" but am wary of buying from dixonsesque places as they aren't famed for the customer service, and as i aint sure what will work, thought i'd ask for some advice. There's also things on ebay like "2 way aerail boosters" and "digital aerial boosters" but again not sure what i should be looking for.

Thanks

Comments

• Is there any equipment that i could buy to solve this, dont really want to fork out to have the main aerial from the roof adapted just for this.

Depending on signal strength in your area you may get away with an amplified indoor aerial from somewhere like argos (see this product) which you may get away with, failing that i'd suggest buying a loft mount aerila kit, and just drop the wire down from your loft into the bedroom.

J
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    See this thread from a couple of days ago Freeview Problems

If you have a Lidl nearby they have an amplified indoor aerial for £7 on the 14th Nov Lidl advert which may just be enough if you are border line on signal strength.

:think:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • gizmoleeds
    gizmoleeds Posts: 2,232 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you check the box on your downstairs TV (with a roof aerial) to check that you get a good picture there and it is not just that you live in an area with bad freeview/have a defective box? :confused:
  • jon_r_2
    jon_r_2 Posts: 344 Forumite
    go to bbc homepage,then into freeview,do a postcode search to confirm freeview is ok in your area.A strong analogue signal does not guarentee a strong digital one, therefore an indoor aerial is NOT recommended.ALSO an important point the actual channel numbers are slightly different and in some areas a totally different aerial 'group' is required.also the aerial is mounted horizontally or vertically, The group refers to the blocks of channels in the uhf tv band ie 21-37 is group A 37- 50 is group B, 48-66 is group C. etc,.... a booster is only good if the signal is reasonable, below a certain level it will be useless...hope that is of help
    never put off buying a bargain today,it may be gone tomorrow
  • jon_r wrote:
    go to bbc homepage,then into freeview,do a postcode search to confirm freeview is ok in your area.A strong analogue signal does not guarentee a strong digital one, therefore an indoor aerial is NOT recommended.ALSO an important point the actual channel numbers are slightly different and in some areas a totally different aerial 'group' is required.also the aerial is mounted horizontally or vertically, The group refers to the blocks of channels in the uhf tv band ie 21-37 is group A 37- 50 is group B, 48-66 is group C. etc,.... a booster is only good if the signal is reasonable, below a certain level it will be useless...hope that is of help

I DID THIS AND IT SAYS NOT AVAILABLE I HAVE LOOKED FOR AT LEAST A YEAR NOW AND STILL NOT AVAILABLE DOES ANYBODY WHO SAYS IT IS NOT AVAILABLE GONE FOR IT AND FOUND IT IS?

THANKS pAUL
    have no fear go ahead and do it!! :cool:
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So what did this website tell you about your predicted signal strength and suggested antenna then :question:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • paul4798
    paul4798 Posts: 146 Forumite
    espresso wrote:
    So what did this website tell you about your predicted signal strength and suggested antenna then :question:

the following: by the way means nothing to me?

DTT transmitters within "local" range of OS grid reference SE029390
    Transmitter 1: BBC 2: Digital 3 & 4 A: SDN B: BBC C: NG Transco D: NG Transco Gp Pol OS grid ref. OD
    m Field
    dBµV/m Distance
    miles Bearing
    degrees Antenna
    (suggestion)
    UHF ERP
    W AOD
    m UHF ERP
    W AOD
    m UHF ERP
    W AOD
    m UHF ERP
    W AOD
    m UHF ERP
    W AOD
    m UHF ERP
    W AOD
    m
    Keighley 48 100 354 68 100 354 66 100 354 53 100 354 30 100 356 34 100 356 W V SE069444 303 46 4 37 Amplified extra hi-gain
    Emley Moor 52 10k 565 40 10k 565 43 10k 565 46 10k 565 50 10k 565 49 4k 565 B H SE222128 256 30 20 144 Amplified extra hi-gain

Notes
    The results from this predictor should only be used as a rough indication as to which transmitters might be available at a specified location. Please note that the calculations take no account of local surroundings (e.g. trees and buildings), the directional radiation patterns of some transmitters ( e.g. coastal restrictions) nor sources of interference (e.g. strong adjacents). For points in Ireland, the effect of the intervening terrain (e.g. mountains and valleys) is also currently not included. Where the prediction shows a choice of transmitters giving similar field strengths, it is usually worth considering the closest first.

Please note that for combined analogue and digital reception the choice of a different aerial or even a different transmitter might be necessary: [Link to UK analogue TV reception predictor]

[Link to full table of transmitter information]

Transmitter information copyright BBC, Crown Castle UK, ITC, NTL and SDN 1998-2005. Public domain information only.

Key: Aerial groups: A 21-37 red, B 35-53 yellow, CD 48-68 green, E 35-68 brown, K 21-48 grey, W 21-68 black; Pol = polarisation (H horizontal, V vertical); ERP = effective radiated power; AOD = aerial height above Ordnance Survey datum; OD = site height above datum (metres); Bearing is from Grid North (Magnetic North is a few degrees West of Grid North - check local OS map for present variation and add it to Bearing for precise compass direction)

"Antenna suggestions" are a rough guide only; a minimum height of 10 metres is normally recommended. Where an "amplified extra hi-gain" system is suggested, the minimum would probably be a good multi-director Yagi array with a low-noise masthead amplifier.

Some postcode areas are rather large - better precision is possible using an Ordnance Survey grid reference, if available. Also, some postcodes have not yet been included in the database.

New: the transmitter OS grid references are now hyperlinked to our transmission path predictor. This is an experimental facility which might be liable to failure or other problems during its further development. In particular, the graphical output produced is currently Adobe PostScript ®, which might not be displayed correctly with certain browsers. To view the output with your browser, it will require a plug-in or helper application such as GhostView ® or Adobe Acrobat ® plus Distiller ®. Alternatively, the output can be saved as a PostScript (.PS) file for subsequent use. It is planned to make a different format available in the future.
    have no fear go ahead and do it!! :cool:
  • gizmoleeds
    gizmoleeds Posts: 2,232 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    paul4798 wrote:
    I DID THIS AND IT SAYS NOT AVAILABLE I HAVE LOOKED FOR AT LEAST A YEAR NOW AND STILL NOT AVAILABLE DOES ANYBODY WHO SAYS IT IS NOT AVAILABLE GONE FOR IT AND FOUND IT IS?

THANKS pAUL
    Back in the days of OnDigital I was told that my postcode wan't covered by digital. As I had a good picture normally I just ignored them and got it anyway and used it fine (initially with an indoor aerial too - although it did need adjusting for Channel 4).

I just tried the website posted by espresso and it told me I need an "Amplified extra hi-gain" aerial. :confused:

I think these sites tend to be ultra-cautious about advising people of their signal because they don't want them buying the boxes then complaining if they don't work.
  • tigermatt
    tigermatt Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    A friend of mine needed to buy a signal booster to get a Freeview box to work. Once he bought it, everything worked fine. He bought a TV Aerial kit and dropped the cable down into the bedroom where the box was.
  • 2ax
    2ax Posts: 645 Forumite
    paul4798 wrote:
    the following: by the way means nothing to me?

Keighley 48 100 354 68 100 354 66 100 354 53 100 354 30 100 356 34 100 356 W V SE069444 303 46 4 37 Amplified extra hi-gain
    Emley Moor 52 10k 565 40 10k 565 43 10k 565 46 10k 565 50 10k 565 49 4k 565 B H SE222128 256 30 20 144 Amplified extra hi-gain

~

Key: Aerial groups: A 21-37 red, B 35-53 yellow, CD 48-68 green, E 35-68 brown, K 21-48 grey, W 21-68 black; Pol = polarisation (H horizontal, V vertical); ERP = effective radiated power; AOD = aerial height above Ordnance Survey datum; OD = site height above datum (metres); Bearing is from Grid North (Magnetic North is a few degrees West of Grid North - check local OS map for present variation and add it to Bearing for precise compass direction)
    The table format has not come out here, but you can see it on your original. The Keighley 100W transmitter is 4 miles NE of you; Emley Moor's 10kW is 20 miles SE.

They are recommending a rooftop hi-gain aerial; we have that here and the two transmitters are 20 (10kW) and 24 (20kW) miles away, similar to Emley Moor for you; I very strongly doubt that an indoor aerial would be sufficient for you - in fact I'm tempted to get a higher gain one, with more elements.

The channel numbers will determine which of the aerial groups you need - some are tuned to different ranges of channels. It looks like your digital multiplexes run from ch 40 to 52 on Emley Moor; I checked your analogue channels which are on 37 to 51. Then a group B aerial is the one to go for for Emley Moor, which will probably be the better option than the weaker nearer signal of Keighley (group E) - check which way most of the aerials point in your area.

I think you'll have good reception as long as you get, or probably already have, a good enough multi-element aerial.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure