Girls white dress for First Holy Communion

Comments

• Nenen
    Nenen Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    I went to a First Communion Service last year and the prettiest dress by far was the one worn by a little girl whose mum is Spanish... they had bought the dress in Spain where there is apparently a great choice at very reasonable prices.. Might be worth a 1p Ryanair flight to do a day trip to look! She has little white flowers on clips in her hair which looked lovely too.
    Personally I really dislike the little strappy numbers worn by several of the girls... looked really tarty and inappropriate... but maybe I'm just old fashioned!:o
    “A journey is best measured in friends, not in miles.”
    (Tim Cahill)
  • finc
    finc Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    My mum lives in Spain and the Spanish make a real occasion of the Communion Day. There's a big festival in the village and a parade for all the children to show off their lovely outfits. As well as the religious side of course ;)

I like them to look like little girls and not mini brides but then most of the 7 year olds in her class think they're teenagers anyway.
    :smileyhea
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Going off topic, but my daughters friend turned up on a Saturday morning dressed in heeled boots with zips and chains on them, shorts and tights and pony tail on the side, with makeup on. She is 7. We had tears as we were going to the school fair and my daughter didnt like what she was wearing (fine previously) because she wanted the sort of thing her friend was wearing. There's no way she'll be wearing that, but it is so hard to deal with sometimes.

We talked about the communion dress last night and first of all she was happy with my choice, then later on she said she would like a longer dress but not "puffed out"! No further on than yesterday then lol

I did find lots of nice ones in the Tigerlily section on Debenhams website, but all the cheaper ones have sold out in a 7 or 8. Typical!
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Have you seen this one?

http://adams.co.uk/shop/product/products_id/7180.html

ooh and i think this is really pretty to:

http://www.firstholycommunionday.co.uk/#/bridget/4527208745

Good Luck with your Search!
    :love:11th March 2010- Got engaged to my amazing fiance, planning our wedding for 2012:love:
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    tiff wrote: »

I think this is really nice & suitable for first communion. Personally I think it looks stupid when parents go OTT at these type of things. After all it's not really about the dress. :rolleyes:
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• feclmum
    feclmum Posts: 216 Forumite
    was my dd FHC last year and ds1 year before we dropped on with the dress in debenhams sale for £25 was simple but gorgeous,last three years george have done white communion/bridesmaids dresses for about £20 which have been lovely not ott at all.have next directory not done them this year?
    we didnt do the veil thing either,we got a lovely white satin headband with a small bow on from claires(who also do cheap tiaras),curled her hair and she looked gorgeous!
  • ebaybaby
    ebaybaby Posts: 873 Forumite
    I am probably going to get slated for this but I have to disagree with most of you who think it's ok to buy a summer dress and pass it off as a FHC dress.

Before you all start going mad, I dont think it should cost hundreds of pounds either or be too OTT.

But at the end of the day this is a very very special occasion for your daughter / son and I think it's worth pushing the boat out a bit more.

I actually dont follow trend or do what everyone else is doing, but I want my daughter to be/feel comfortable in what she is wearing and although I hate to admit it I would also be worried about the effect it will have on them if other kids made comments.

My eldest made her FHC a couple of years ago and we were lucky enough to be visiting the US before hand so hers was bought there. My youngest makes hers in May and Im still searching at the moment. But It will be a HC dress.

Good luck on your search.
  • bluepricey
    bluepricey Posts: 809 Forumite
    have you tried woolworths got my daughters shoes from there last year but got the dress and veil from a shop that specalised in hc dresses good luck very stressful time for mums
    :confused::confused::confused:
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ebaybaby wrote: »
    I am probably going to get slated for this but I have to disagree with most of you who think it's ok to buy a summer dress and pass it off as a FHC dress.

Before you all start going mad, I dont think it should cost hundreds of pounds either or be too OTT.

But at the end of the day this is a very very special occasion for your daughter / son and I think it's worth pushing the boat out a bit more.

I actually dont follow trend or do what everyone else is doing, but I want my daughter to be/feel comfortable in what she is wearing and although I hate to admit it I would also be worried about the effect it will have on them if other kids made comments.

My eldest made her FHC a couple of years ago and we were lucky enough to be visiting the US before hand so hers was bought there. My youngest makes hers in May and Im still searching at the moment. But It will be a HC dress.

Good luck on your search.

I agree.

My daughter had hers 14 (ish) years ago.
    I had a dress made for her, a beautiful veil with an embroidered cross on the back, pretty shoes, the matching bag & all. The dress had tiny pearls sewn in it. The dress was not OTT naff looking, but beautiful & it looked incredible. The total outfit cost was about £150 to £200 14 years ago.

I only have one child, (fertility problems) so I only get to do each of these things once & I wanted to make it as special as possible for both of us.

So its not all about showing off.
  • finc
    finc Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    MrsE wrote: »
    I agree.

My daughter had hers 14 (ish) years ago.
    I had a dress made for her, a beautiful veil with an embroidered cross on the back, pretty shoes, the matching bag & all. The dress had tiny pearls sewn in it. The dress was not OTT naff looking, but beautiful & it looked incredible. The total outfit cost was about £150 to £200 14 years ago.

I only have one child, (fertility problems) so I only get to do each of these things once & I wanted to make it as special as possible for both of us.

So its not all about showing off.
    I agree. It's a special time for them and there's no harm in them feeling and looking special as well. My daughter also had a veil but she has a condition that stops her hair growing so it's quite short and she wanted to feel more girly. The veil made her feel like she had long hair. I don't like it when they are dressed as mini brides with huge veils, trains and the works, it seems to take away the innocence from it IYKWIM.

From the showing off side, there were at least a dozen mums from my daughter's school who definitely fell into this catagory and could be heard making comments on some of the other dresses etc. I know it shouldn't matter what other's think but if any if the children heard them they could feel upest by the comments.

Back to OP if you don't want a veil you can get some beautiful silk flowers on and a hair comb that are simple but gorgeous at the same time. I used one to hold her veil in place. Also have a look in BHS, I bought some pretty white sandals for about £6.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/clairemh29/DSCN0637.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/clairemh29/DSCN0606.jpg
    A couple of pics of my princess on her day.
    :smileyhea
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport