our kids should not be the most important

Options

Comments

• My ( young) child is the most important person in my life and I will make no apologies for this.

Actually, I want my child to feel entitled; entitled to a safe home, a full tummy and a family that love her. Every child ( in fact, every person) deserves this.

My child doesn't get everything she wants, she doesn't get the latest toys but I don't think you can measure the importance you place on someone by the amount you spend on them.

I agree it's important not to forget your partner though.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I think one of the reasons that divorce is so common is because many parents put their children and their needs ahead of their partner.

It could also be because people put themselves first; plenty childless couples divorce.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    It could also be because people put themselves first; plenty childless couples divorce.

I think a lot depends on how "high maintenance" the partner is - the only sort of partner who would ever tolerate me would need to be ultra low maintenance :cool:
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »

I think that's always been the case though. Making your child (of whatever age) the centre if your universe is a comparatively recent phenomenon.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    Why? Have you? What did you discover?

You can't just lift a copyright article and repost it in it's entirety.

Under the circumstances in OP's case though, it would likely fall under the fair dealing exception.

Its not as if OP has posted it as a journalist being paid to write a story or a blogger receiving ad revenue or is attempting to pass it off as their own - not only have they accredited it, but they've linked to it also and have posted specifically to discuss/highlight that piece itself rather than referencing it as part of their own article.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Every family member is equally important but we treat each other differently because of age / intimacy etc.
    If I had to chose to fed my husband or child ( and many the world over do) of course I'd chose my child because she is dependent on me more so than my husband. You have to prioritise the needs of a child so maybe that's where the view of 'importance' comes in.
    In my view there needs be more respect in general.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    Anyway, it looks like you've quoted the whole article -- careful you don't find yourself liable for copyright infringement damages.

Utter nonsense. The OP gave the source.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Interesting topic including the replies about putting kids needs first. Some years back I watched a documentary about Polar bears. Mum and baby polar bear had got stranded from mainland when an ice cap broke away. Facing a winter with a lack of food, mum bear eventually came across some. She ate first and only when she'd had sufficient did she give the remainder to baby bear. The reason that she had to remain alive in order to ensure survival of her son.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Options
    Every family member is equally important but we treat each other differently because of age / intimacy etc.
    If I had to chose to fed my husband or child ( and many the world over do) of course I'd chose my child because she is dependent on me more so than my husband. You have to prioritise the needs of a child so maybe that's where the view of 'importance' comes in.
    In my view there needs be more respect in general.

If your husband needed to work to provide food for his family (a situation that used to exist here and exists in many other countries) then feeding him would be not only the priority but a necessity.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ah the "snowflake generation" ;)

All starting to grow up, and beginning to realise the world doesnt actually owe them a living and that the world doesnt revolve around them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure