PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I rent out my Right To Buy Flat once purchased

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    lol

No need of popcorn too busy laughing!
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    What did you find in the terms of your RTB purchase when you read them?

I doubt very much if the OP saw any words ..... just £ signs
  • Mossfarr
    Mossfarr Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Yes you can but don't expect to get any really good tenants. Good tenants don't rent ex council properties. They prefer to rent properties that have never been owned by any council. So you are going to have to research very carefully the obligations of being a landlord because you are likely to get tenants who don't pay the rent and who wreck the place. If you had wanted a buy to let you should have bought a private property that had never been owned by the council not a council flat. You may find that this particular flat is going to be more trouble to let than it is worth.

I'd be very interested to know what evidence you have to support this ridiculous theory.
    I have ex-council properties which I rent out to excellent long term tenants. I've never had any difficulty finding tenants, in fact I usually have several good applicants to choose from.
    The reality is that my tenants specifically choose to rent ex-council properties as they are in the communities they grew up in and they want to stay close to family. They usually would not be eligible for social housing so they are a perfect fit.
    And just for the record I have never acquired any of my properties through Right to Buy - they were already in private ownership when I bought them. In fact my Local Authority now sells all their older housing stock as soon as it falls empty via auction or subsidised housing purchase schemes for first time buyers.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mossfarr wrote: »
    I'd be very interested to know what evidence you have to support this ridiculous theory.
    I have ex-council properties which I rent out to excellent long term tenants. I've never had any difficulty finding tenants, in fact I usually have several good applicants to choose from.
    The reality is that my tenants specifically choose to rent ex-council properties as they are in the communities they grew up in and they want to stay close to family. They usually would not be eligible for social housing so they are a perfect fit.
    And just for the record I have never acquired any of my properties through Right to Buy - they were already in private ownership when I bought them. In fact my Local Authority now sells all their older housing stock as soon as it falls empty via auction or subsidised housing purchase schemes for first time buyers.

I will admit that it depends on the bit of Manchester. I can think of some bits where you wouldn't want to go really.... The sort of bits where you would be able to afford an ex council flat and buy it with cash.....

The bit of greater Manchester where we let property council housing is hard to sell when it has been bought under Right to Buy because people who had relatives that used to live in council houses want to rent and buy something better. Only poor people who can't afford anything better either rent or buy ex council housing. Also some of the council housing estates are not where people aspire to live they get out as soon as they can.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    GRRRR Rent out your rtb home? Its an outrage GRRRR. You paid cash? GRRRRR.

Posters one and only post designed to provoke very predictable responses with a question easily answered by google.
    Its our regular rtb troll.
  • Doody
    Doody Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    The privet may be a problem. Make sure it is well trimmed so tenants can see their car from the window.
    'Get Brexit done' is a lie[
    "Your deal won’t get Brexit done, Mr Johnson. It gets you to the start line, and then the real tough stuff begins"
    Betty Boothroyd
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    Will you let them bury their dog in the garden?
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GRRRR Rent out your rtb home? Its an outrage GRRRR. You paid cash? GRRRRR.

Posters one and only post designed to provoke very predictable responses with a question easily answered by google.
    Its our regular rtb troll.

Indeed and never to return.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doody wrote: »
    The privet may be a problem. Make sure it is well trimmed so tenants can see their car from the window.

I think that should read so that tenants can see that their car has been propped up on bricks when they get up the next morning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure