IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

MyParkingCharge at Home Bargains Sheffield

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the advice on this forum. I have read the Newbies thread and others associated with Home Bargains and PCNs issued at retail parks, but am unclear about when to complain to the retailer.

My car received a windscreen PCN while parked at the Flora Street retail park in Sheffield. The PCN directs me to visit MyParkingCharge.co.uk, but does not include any details about the issuing PPC. I have not visited MyParkingCharge.co.uk yet.

I am not certain why the ticket was issued, the car park has no pay and display charges and the car was only parked for 15 minutes. I believe it may be because the car was parked in an area without marked spaces. A large region of the car park is not marked into spaces by white lines, but is used for parking. The car was parked next to 3 others also parked in this area at the time (I have photos), all parked in an orderly fashion. Indeed, 2 other vehicles were observed parking in this area while my car was parked. I have also returned to the car park and taken photos of the area being used for parking throughout the day. I did notice some more PCNs issued, suggesting that this is not an isolated incident. If this is the reason for the PCN, I would argue that the car park design is misleading and customers are unaware that the area in question is not for parking.

I want to complain to Home Bargains to try and have the PCN cancelled. There are several threads where this has been successful. The driver of my car was shopping at Home Bargains (bank statement supports this, although the statement date is 2 days later, due to the speed at which banks move money. I don’t have the receipt, but their records would show when I made a purchase, if that was required).

Should I complain now? This is one week on, as I was away in Spain for 5 days.

Alternatively, should I wait for a NTK to arrive in the post then complain? I don’t know who the PPC is as there is no info on the PCN, therefore I don’t know if they are in BPA or IPC or neither.

If I complain to Home Bargains, who should I contact: visit the store and speak to the manager directly, email or post a letter? What if they claim it is not their problem, as it is a retail park with many shops and they are not the land owner?

I am working in the USA for 6 months from December so would like this sorted ASAP.

Thanks for any advice :-)

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The PPC will be either VCS or Excel. This is their relatively new MO to issue these windscreen ‘warnings’, closely followed by a NtK. Both are IPC members with no prospect of any appeal success.

Await your NtK then get stuck into the retailer, but Home Bargains have not done much in the past to help its customers. Dig in for the long haul on this one, I’m afraid.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • The home bargains manager I spoke to last week was abrubt and arrogant.

The complaint I sent this week to their complaints email was a stock reply saying 'tough', from the ubiquitous "Hayley" (she appears with the same cut and paste response I've seen since 2014)

Any further replies sent each day have not even received a reply.

So that avenue may be fruitless.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The home bargains manager I spoke to last week was abrubt and arrogant.

The complaint I sent this week to their complaints email was a stock reply saying 'tough', from the ubiquitous "Hayley" (she appears with the same cut and paste response I've seen since 2014)

Any further replies sent each day have not even received a reply.

So that avenue may be fruitless.

If Home Bargains are so arrogant and ignorant, the answer
    is simple, don't shop with them again and tell all your friends.

You must question, could Home Bargains be owned
    by Ryanair ????

Just wait now, see what happens and then return here
  • DrSPT
    DrSPT Posts: 5 Forumite
    Thanks for all the replies,

The car park is for a retail park with an Aldi and Iceland also. I intend to contact them too as i did browse in these shops. Might try a social media approach too.

The way the car park has been arranged is almost to trap people into making the mistake the driver of my car made. Every time i have visited this retail park cars are parked where i did and even as i attempted to work out why i had received a PCN, cars continued to park up next to me. They must be issuing hundreds of tickets for this. That can't be right. The land owner must have to make reasonable provision to ensure it is clear where you can park and where you can't?

I also noticed that the signs for the terms and conditions for the car park say that even cancelled PCNs will incure a £10 admin fee. Are they serious?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yes, there are some scum companies in existence that think it's OK to charge for no service, if a person cancels.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • DrSPT wrote: »

I want to complain to Home Bargains to try and have the PCN cancelled. There are several threads where this has been successful. The driver of my car was shopping at Home Bargains (bank statement supports this, although the statement date is 2 days later, due to the speed at which banks move money. I don’t have the receipt, but their records would show when I made a purchase, if that was required).

Alternatively, should I wait for a NTK to arrive in the post then complain? I don’t know who the PPC is as there is no info on the PCN, therefore I don’t know if they are in BPA or IPC or neither.

If I complain to Home Bargains, who should I contact: visit the store and speak to the manager directly, email or post a letter? What if they claim it is not their problem, as it is a retail park with many shops and they are not the landowner :-)

You could try the Home Bargains store manager if you're local, if not email head office and complain that you were a customer of theirs, spent money there and are disgusted at being treat this way.

Happybagger post #3 hasn't had a good response but it's worth a try.

I don't think the other stores will be interested if you didn't spend any money with them.

Was there no reason given on the windscreen ticket for issuing it? Perhaps you can post up on here a scan of it (with your details removed).

VCS are notorious and IPC members. An appeal to VCS and subsequently to IAS are bound to fail.
    hx579j.jpg
  • DrSPT
    DrSPT Posts: 5 Forumite
    Thanks RobinofLoxley

I received my NTK today. I believe that the PCN has been issued for the reason i stated (parking in an unmarked bay, but next to a row of cars clearly forming an orderly arrangement as expected in a car park). The original windscreen ticket does not give any info about the reason for issue.

I thought that the PPC had to wait 28 days before they could ask the DVLA for my details. Maybe that is only if they claim to conform to certain rules.

I spoke to the lead sales person at Home Bargains today (most senior person available at 6.30 pm). She told me that i can just ignore the PCN and that the PPC cannot enforce it. She said that is what they had been told to say to customers. I explained that the PPC can chase you for the charge. I asked her for a statement in writing saying the PCN was cancelled, but she said it wasn't her responsibility as they do not own the land or contract the PPC. I explained that they must have some responsibility as the car park is for their customers. She invited me to speak with the manager tomorrow, which i will do.

We'll see how it goes.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I thought that the PPC had to wait 28 days before they could ask the DVLA for my details. Maybe that is only if they claim to conform to certain rules.

If they haven't issued a windscreen PCN they can - and they pretend the piece of paper on your windscreen, to any normal person's mind, imitating a PCN, was not one.
    I spoke to the lead sales person at Home Bargains today (most senior person available at 6.30 pm). She told me that i can just ignore the PCN and that the PPC cannot enforce it. She said that is what they had been told to say to customers. I explained that the PPC can chase you for the charge.
    Wow, that's terrible, they are setting customers up to be sued. Keep going!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    According to "Mamalade67c" in post 14, they won in court against VCS for the same site and reason:-
    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=98198
  • Castle wrote: »
    According to "Mamalade67c" in post 14, they won in court against VCS for the same site and reason:-
    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=98198

And another one

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=107883&st=60
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills