PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Had an idea from a blogger on YouTube re taking a rice-cooker with her whenever she travels and thought "Wonder if I could cook rice in my slow cooker?"

Bit of googling later and...yep...in a word.

So rice would be 1 cup brown (thats the type I use) rice and 2 cups water. Rinse rice. Put in slowcooker and cook on high 3 hours (stirring once during it).

Followed by thinking "What about quinoa?". Yep....quarter cup quinoa and half cup water. Rinse quinoa. Cook quinoa in water on high for 3-4 hours.

Hmmm....I can feel some experimenting coming on. Ideal to have a way of cooking that I dont have to pay attention to.

Has anyone tried this or anything similar in a slowcooker? What was the result?
    I have cooked rice in it before and didn't have any problems at all. I've also made rice pudding in it quite often and it always worked well.

I now fancy rice pudding :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 1 October 2017 at 2:19PM
    Has anyone tried this or anything similar in a slowcooker? What was the result?

I'm fairly sure using a slow cooker for rice was mentioned on here a few months back, but that may have been for pud & not savoury as I think it mentioned buttering the pot first to prevent sticking, I paid extra attention because it gave me an idea to try it out, which so far I've not done:o

PS HH beat me to it.

I had sliced banana, Greek yoghurt & honey for breakfast then popped out to Morries, not for food but wanted to get some pansies in for my volunteer garden. Got them, and a pork pie 'cos I was tempted. Plus a nice Coburg cob for my lunchtime HM soup

MY soup is nice and chunky, but a bit paler than I had hoped. Not a problem it is only appearances. It used to wind my kids up if they said stew was pale, I just glopped gravy browning in until it was brown enough or they stopped whinging, whichever came first :D

The bread pud has improved overnight, had a lump after lunch. Now super tasty and certain not to be here by mid week

Bit dull here, rain due later. Did a mini spot of gardening, planted some more daffs, harvested some sunflower & bean seeds ready for 2018

Dinner will be a repeat of yesterday, using last of the dusted fish + chips & peas
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Hollyharvey
    Farway wrote: »

The bread pud has improved overnight, had a lump after lunch. Now super tasty and certain not to be here by mid week
    I had been looking up bread pudding recipes on the internet earlier in the week, and then you said that you had made one :).

I was considering using the Delia Smith one. Do you use a recipe of your own?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    .... blogger on YouTube re taking a rice-cooker with her whenever she travels ..
    They're so middle class aren't they :)

I never travel.... if I do go out for the day then it'd be a real treat to buy a hot pasty, so I'd not be wondering how to rewire a rice cooker to cook at the roadside with a bag of rice :)

If you're doing rice in the slow cooker, the better option is to use it to make rice puddings rather than bog standard rice; more exciting.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 1 October 2017 at 2:28PM
    I had been looking up bread pudding recipes on the internet earlier in the week, and then you said that you had made one :).

The bottom line is they come down to just this:

Use a bread, any sort of bread.
    Butter it with a butter, any sort of butter.
    Make sandwiches, or just layer stuff.
    If sweet, add sugar in somewhere - either in the milk mix or sugar sandwiches or sprinkle it over.
    Layer.
    Pour the egg/milk mix over, carefully, so it spreads as appropriate.
    Let it all soak in for ages.
    Shove in the oven until the top's nice and brown.

Apart from that, you can make any flavour, sweet or savoury, you wish. The trouble, therefore, is deciding and choosing WHICH to make.

I do love B&BP, but don't get round to it often enough. I should add it to my list of "things to make before Xmas".

The trouble with it is ..... custard or not? .. or golden syrup .... or a sweet pouring sauce .... or all of those ....
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 1 October 2017 at 3:10PM

PN, I think there is confusion between bread pud & bread & butter pud.

Mine is bread pud, yours is B & b pud

HH, I use one of my own, but it is based on everyone's ideas. There are no hard & fast rules and it is always edible

Make a pot of strong tea, if you fancy it use Earl Grey for instance
    Any type bread, [maybe not cheese & onion though] any quantity, torn, cut or blitzed into a large bowl
    As much dried mixed fruit as seems sensible, like a handful

Put MF in jug, pour enough tea over to just cover. Leave to soak while you get on with the rest

Pour rest of tea over the bread, not enough to drown it, but enough to soak it. Any excess tea, make a cuppa

There are variations here, use orange juice for some of the soaking liquid, can't say I've noticed difference but who knows

Another variation , add a good table spoonful of black treacle to the bread

Mix the bread up into a squidgy slurry, either hands in, or use a masher

Add one beaten egg, the MF mix, and however much sugar you thing you will like. I use about a table spoonful but I do not like it too sweet. Less if using treacle of course

Mix in about 2 teaspoons or so of mixed spice, more if you like spicy. I also add some powdered ginger. All optional

Then pour into a greased flat tin, I use a Pyrex roasting dish

For a bit of a fancy make tram lines in the top using a fork, Either sprinkle with sugar, or nut meg, or cinnamon or whatever you fancy. I use sugar & grate a nutmeg on top

Pop in oven, gas 4, about an hour. You can tell if done if it is firm & top is brownish. It may take longer depending on how much bread / liquid you started with

I never make the same one twice, but as long as it basically follows the above it works, and it finishes up on your hips
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 1 October 2017 at 3:29PM
    They're so middle class aren't they :)

I never travel.... if I do go out for the day then it'd be a real treat to buy a hot pasty, so I'd not be wondering how to rewire a rice cooker to cook at the roadside with a bag of rice :)

If you're doing rice in the slow cooker, the better option is to use it to make rice puddings rather than bog standard rice; more exciting.

Well - the blogger in question eats healthily and its vegan food and I know it's frequently a problem to get food that even matches one of those criteria - never mind both.

Hence thinking "I'm sure I don't need to buy a rice cooker - the slowcooker I already have must do the trick" (though I couldnt take it "out on the road" with me 'tis true....:cool:).

Personally - I've got myself into eating out on my own if need be and asking for doggybags. So - that's two goals down and one to go. I now need to get my confidence up that if I spot a menu somewhere that just doesnt cater for healthy and/or vegan eating yet - to pick out what bits they do that match my criteria (or at least dont go against it) and ask them to combine a bit from this item, a bit from that, etc, etc and make up a suitable meal specially. Might be doing others a service in the process of getting the pub/restaurant/cafe to think about what they can do to modernise/attract customers they wouldnt otherwise get/etc......
  • Hollyharvey
    Farway wrote: »
    PN, I think there is confusion between bread pud & bread & butter pud.

Mine is bread pud, yours is B & b pud

HH, I use one of my own, but it is based on everyone's ideas. There are no hard & fast rules and it is always edible

Make a pot of strong tea, if you fancy it use Earl Grey for instance
    Any type bread, [maybe not cheese & onion though] any quantity, torn, cut or blitzed into a large bowl
    As much dried mixed fruit as seems sensible, like a handful

Put MF in jug, pour enough tea over to just cover. Leave to soak while you get on with the rest

Pour rest of tea over the bread, not enough to drown it, but enough to soak it. Any excess tea, make a cuppa

There are variations here, use orange juice for some of the soaking liquid, can't say I've noticed difference but who knows

Another variation , add a good table spoonful of black treacle to the bread

Mix the bread up into a squidgy slurry, either hands in, or use a masher

Add one beaten egg, the MF mix, and however much sugar you thing you will like. I use about a table spoonful but I do not like it too sweet. Less if using treacle of course

Mix in about 2 teaspoons or so of mixed spice, more if you like spicy. I also add some powdered ginger. All optional

Then pour into a greased flat tin, I use a Pyrex roasting dish

For a bit of a fancy make tram lines in the top using a fork, Either sprinkle with sugar, or nut meg, or cinnamon or whatever you fancy. I use sugar & grate a nutmeg on top

Pop in oven, gas 4, about an hour. You can tell if done if it is firm & top is brownish. It may take longer depending on how much bread / liquid you started with

I never make the same one twice, but as long as it basically follows the above it works, and it finishes up on your hips
    Thanks Farway :).

I haven't made one for years now, but my brother mentioned it last week because our dad used to love it and I used to make it for him. The other thing he liked a lot was lardy cake, but I'm not making that!

I bought a slice of bread pudding at a small coffe shop/bakery in town but that must have been about 12 years ago now, and have got a fancy for some :).
  • PasturesNew
    edited 1 October 2017 at 4:13PM
    Ah, yes, bread pudding is less well-known, so I tend to assume B&B.... especially when I'm not paying enough attention to detail :)

I made a dumpling in a mug, then scooped it out on a spoon and tossed some jam into the mug then put the dumpling back on top ... and nuked it. Ate from the mug with a teaspoon.
  • Hollyharvey
    I made a dumpling in a mug, then scooped it out on a spoon and tossed some jam into the mug then put the dumpling back on top ... and nuked it. Ate from the mug with a teaspoon.
    Lovely food for this type of weather. It sounds pretty much the same as the steamed jam suet puddings that my mum used to make when we were kids :). Something else to add to my nostalgic food cravings. No doubt I'll be making this in a couple of weeks:D.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure