she's only 6!

Comments

• torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    sarah_23 wrote: »
    I have now sent her to her room and told her that it is wrong to be writing love letters.

You may well have killed off any hopes of her becoming another Jane Austin, she will be terrified to ever write anything again :(
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Well. That's helped establish normal loving relationships in her mind as nothing to be ashamed of.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Why would she need to promise that she's never spoken to this boy? Surely she talks to boys in her class?
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    You should read your own title again and again and possibly again.

Choose your battles , if you're sending a six year old to her room for this good luck with the teenage years.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    cloudydays wrote: »
    Care to explain, I don't understand. Posts from 2011 ???
    Read the thread from the beginning . . . the daughter was 1 yr old then.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3277790
  • Dill
    Dill Posts: 1,743 Forumite
    sarah_23 wrote: »
    I sat her down and read the note, it was a love letter to a 6 year old boy in her school saying she wanted to marry him and kiss him.

Six-year-olds can't write very much, surely? They've only been learning to read and write for a year or so. Young children tend to copy writing so that they can get the letter shapes right. It takes a while before they are able to write things on their own, let alone sordid love letters :rotfl:
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Poor child. She probably feels as if she's done something really bad now.

I loved Robin Gilbert (a boy in my class) when I was that age, and had plans to marry him.

It's perfectly normal, yet you've shown her that what she did is wrong and shameful and needs to be punished.
  • Kaye1
    Kaye1 Posts: 538 Forumite
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    Poor child. She probably feels as if she's done something really bad now.

I loved Robin Gilbert (a boy in my class) when I was that age, and had plans to marry him.

It's perfectly normal, yet you've shown her that what she did is wrong and shameful and needs to be punished.

Don't leave us hanging on- DID YOU MARRY ROBIN GILBERT?!:rotfl:
  • Trina90
    Trina90 Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    "She's only 6"... exactly, so why the harsh reaction to such innocent behaviour? No wonder she was scared to show you, what other minor things have you been over the top about!?
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000 2016: £130,000 2017: £116,000 2018: £105,000 2019: £88,000 2020: £69,000 2021: £51,195 2023: MORTGAGE FREE!
  • gayleygoo
    gayleygoo Posts: 816 Forumite
    My DD wrote letters declaring love for a boy in her class at age 6, maybe 7, I thought it was adorable :) She wouldn't have let me read them, I just happened across them while tidying, and put them back where I found them. If she tells me she doesn't want me to read something then I generally don't (well, maybe later, just to check there's no bullying issues etc, but mostly I respect her right to write things down and have some privacy.)

Her feelings were perfectly normal, as was her desire to keep the notes secret. Why on earth would it be wrong? Did you tell your daughter that her feelings and decisions were wrong? Why would it matter if she's ever spoken to him?

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business