she's only 6!

Today I saw my 6 year old daughter hide a note in her bag, I asked her to show me the note and she had an absolute fit! No mummy no, I can't help it, I don't want you to read it NOO NOOO!

I sat her down and read the note, it was a love letter to a 6 year old boy in her school saying she wanted to marry him and kiss him.
I asked her calmly if she has ever spoke to this boy and she promised no.

I have now sent her to her room and told her that it is wrong to be writing love letters.

Any advice for me as I feel like she is way to young for this and I want to nip it in the bud straight away.

Comments

• Andypandyboy
    Andypandyboy Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2016 at 10:43PM
    Don't make a mountain out of a molehill would be my advice.

Get her out of her room now and cuddle her. Laugh with her and tell her Mummy felt that way about a boy when she was her age and chat about it. Making a big deal out of this could scar her for life.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    sarah_23 wrote: »
    Today I saw my 6 year old daughter hide a note in her bag, I asked her to show me the note and she had an absolute fit! No mummy no, I can't help it, I don't want you to read it NOO NOOO!

I sat her down and read the note, it was a love letter to a 6 year old boy in her school saying she wanted to marry him and kiss him.
    I asked her calmly if she has ever spoke to this boy and she promised no.

I have now sent her to her room and told her that it is wrong to be writing love letters.

Any advice for me as I feel like she is way to young for this and I want to nip it in the bud straight away.

what did she say about why she'd written the note?

my friend's 7-year old told a girl in his school (she's aged 9) that he loved her and he would like her (because she's older presumably) to take him on a date :). When Mum asked him what they would do on their date, he said they'd go to the shop and buy some sweets each.

Your daughter may just have a great imagination and live in a Princess bubble :).
  • jumpingjackd
    jumpingjackd Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    I think most children around that age declare their love for someone and say they are going to marry them, sometimes even more that one! Dont stress over it and dont give her a hard time and tell her its wrong. Laugh with her (and even more so ten years from now when you remind her of it) Shes just acting like a normal six year old.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    sorry but is this a joke?

I can't see that anyone would send a six year old to their room for writing an innocent letter.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    My 5 year old is going to marry Peter.. in year 3...

She is just expressing the safety and affection she has for her friend.. They feel safe with this other child the same as they do with you and their Daddy, many children say they will marry their Daddy.

The innocence of childhood shouldnt be taken away, she hasnt done anything wrong just expressed her affection for a friend..

When I was 6 I was going to marry Stephen.. I loved him immensely.. and had we not lost touch at 13 I maybe would have, it wasnt so easy to stay in touch that many years ago.. I still think of him with great affection.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • cloudydays
    cloudydays Posts: 160 Forumite

Care to explain, I don't understand. Posts from 2011 ???
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post

Someone needs to find the relaxation tablets and take a handful.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The only time I have ever driven through a red light :o was seconds after my then 7yo son had said to me 'How old do you have to be to get married because I want to marry Bethany and I've been waiting ages?' On telling him 18 or 16 with parental permission and exactly how did he intend affording it, he asked if he could borrow some money from me and then he'd look for a job. :D

They are now both 16 at the same school and only because they have spent the past 3 years on the same outreach scheme at a Uni so they've had to travel together a few times a year, have they actually said anything other than grunting at each other.

I really wouldn't worry about it.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Massive over-reaction!

Poor child. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family