Brick weatherproofing

Hi all

I've got a problem with my single skin garage absorbing water and in turn either leaving a white powder on the inner walls or when it's bad, making everything mouldy.

I want to treat the outside brickwork to stop this happening but not sure if I'm best going for Stormdry @ £125 for 5litres or something like Thompsons Waterseal @ £ 15 for 5litres. A neighbour has gone down the Stormdry route and although early days it looks good.

If anyone has any experience of either can you let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    I suggest it is a no brainer. Thompsons is a typical product for trade use and does the job. It has been around for years. Think of it this way - if you had doubts about the product and coated the wall twice it would still cost less than the Stormdry.

Be aware that you could ruin your brickwork by the use of any such products - but that is your decision.
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ask a daft question but are you sure this a brick problem and not a roofing or drainage problem that's showing itself as dampness through your bricks?

Where's the water coming from to keep the bricks damp all the time and give you these issues?
  • GJ_WRX
    GJ_WRX Posts: 117 Forumite
    Jonesya wrote: »
    Ask a daft question but are you sure this a brick problem and not a roofing or drainage problem that's showing itself as dampness through your bricks?

Where's the water coming from to keep the bricks damp all the time and give you these issues?

Yep pretty sure it's the bricks, the garage itself is only 5 years old and neighbours are suffering from the same problems. The inner walls are normally damp (like it's sweating) a few days after rain. I will double check the roof and drains though.
  • tony6403
    tony6403 Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Water absorption can be 10% to 20% on facing bricks. London Chilterns for example have a figure of 23%.
    Even if your roof or drainage is perfect the bricks still absorb water when it rains.
    I've used Thompsons water seal on my workshop and my garden store with very good results with just one coat..
    It has not ruined any bricks and I don't see how it could.
    Forgotten but not gone.
  • Furts wrote: »

Be aware that you could ruin your brickwork by the use of any such products - but that is your decision.

how can a waterseal ruin bricks?
  • Furts
    diesel100 wrote: »
    how can a waterseal ruin bricks?
    Hi diesel100
    Bricks have varying capabilities to absorb water - London Bricks made by Hanson are notorious for their ability to soak up water like a sponge. In general these bricks are fine provided there is not an issue with frost. If the moisture cannot escape the bricks, and a frost occurs then the face can blow off - "spalling". Other bricks also suffer this.

The risk with applying Waterseal is moisture could get trapped behind this seal and the spalling occur. With a garage the wall can dry from the inside face - to an extent, so this helps. But the reality is all bricks absorb rainwater, what you are experiencing is to be expected, and sealing the surface does carry a risk - you are interfering with the properties of the brick.

The bottom line is, single skin garages are built to be cheap, not dry. That is why houses have cavity walls.
  • tony6403
    Furts wrote: »
    Hi diesel100

The risk with applying Waterseal is moisture could get trapped behind this seal and the spalling occur. With a garage the wall can dry from the inside face - to an extent, so this helps. But the reality is all bricks absorb rainwater, what you are experiencing is to be expected, and sealing the surface does carry a risk - you are interfering with the properties of the brick.

The bottom line is, single skin garages are built to be cheap, not dry. That is why houses have cavity walls.

The only reason for using such a product is to prevent water getting into the bricks in the first place and it therefore reduces the possibility of spalling.
    If trapping water behind the seal is of particular concern , do the sealing when the wall is dry.
    Any "interfering" is beneficial.
    Forgotten but not gone.
  • Furts
    tony6403 wrote: »
    The only reason for using such a product is to prevent water getting into the bricks in the first place and it therefore reduces the possibility of spalling.
    If trapping water behind the seal is of particular concern , do the sealing when the wall is dry.
    Any "interfering" is beneficial.

In theory this may sound good advice but it is flawed. The risk is that the coating must be meticulous if the bricks are to be sealed from the outside - including around window openings, cills etc. where attention to detail is likely to be lacking. If this is done meticulously then the next problem is the brick cannot breath - hence there is a greater chance of dampness and condensation on the inside face of the garage.
  • Is your garage particularly exposed? Is there a guttering issue at all?

I have used Thompsons on a rendered bay window and I am impressed with it. The water beads and runs off much better than it used to.
    Start Feb 2013 £148,900
    Initial MFD Feb 2043 --- Target Feb 2035
    Current balance [STRIKE]Jan 2014 £146,652[/STRIKE], Nov 2014 £143,509

:beer:Current MFD Oct 2042 (5 Months Early) :beer:
    2013 OP: £255 / 2014 OP: £815
  • tony6403
    Furts wrote: »
    In theory this may sound good advice but it is flawed. The risk is that the coating must be meticulous if the bricks are to be sealed from the outside - including around window openings, cills etc. where attention to detail is likely to be lacking. If this is done meticulously then the next problem is the brick cannot breath - hence there is a greater chance of dampness and condensation on the inside face of the garage.
    You obviously have never used this type of product .
    I have used it on two buildings and it works ; the treated buildings , which had damp ingress , have been totally dry for more than five years.
    My advice is not flawed and is based upon actual experience - not dreamed up at a keyboard.
    Do you have any examples to illustrate your fanciful notions.
    Forgotten but not gone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport