Statement of account regualtions & law

Hi does anyone know about statute concerning provision of statements of account for services provided. eg a ISP!

I am struggling to find any information if a company must provide a full statement of account for the service it has provided me.

If it does provide this statement and I can not understand it and it does not provide a final balance what i can do to force the company to issue and explanation of account. And what it believes I owe it?

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    By a full statement do you mean an itemised bill?

Or do you mean a statement of the entire time you were a customer with them?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Yes i mean a full statement of account for the whole time i was a customer!

The company kind of provided this but i can not understand it because it is a internal document which makes little sense.

I have asked for this again with explanation of its content they have refused.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It's not their job to teach you. They have given you what you asked for, you now need someone to decipher it with you.

Basically I assume they have presented you with a bill which you dispute? If this is the case the only ones who can make them explain it is the courts, they mediate and decide on the facts presented to them, with a little bit of probability thrown in if it's not cut and dried..
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The chances are that they have taken your request as a subject request under the Data Protection Act, and just given you a print-out of whatever information they hold that is related to your request.

I have never known a company issue a statement of every transaction with that company ever. In many cases, companies will simply delete old records when there is no regulatory or contractual requirement to keep them any more.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • There is unlikely to be any legal requirement for them to provide such a statement and so if they chose to do one it can be in any format they want.

If you obtain it as part of Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act they can give you the data that they still hold in exactly the format its held in without having to make it pretty or a customer facing document. There is a limited requirement for them to explain field names/ codes etc in english but thats about it
  • Thanks for the responses

However so far haven't been of any help to me & probably wont be to anyone else!

Firstly A SAR (subject access request) As defined by the ICO.org state a person is entitled to know what information a company or organisation holds about them! In terms of account information a company is responsible for explaining any information which relates to any decisions or charge it may make against you! This does not apply to my situation & i would not consider wasting £10 for something i already know!

I am in a sensitive position but wish those offering advice would think before they speak! I quote "its not there job to teach you" If someone makes a demand for money i do think it is there job to justify the any charge they make. You should never make assumptions! if you don't know don't reply!

I wasn't seeking private opinion but legal facts !

The question asked was does anyone know about statute, if you don't know not much point answering really!

The reason I asked was because i have come across this in the past when the financial services authority were responsible for consumer matters however i believe their role has changed. This doesn't mean i want to open a debate on the accuracy of this statement either LOL.

What i am asking for is factual information on legal requirements to provide customers with account information! ie a statement of account! In this case an ISP! who have a legal duty to maintain records for a period of time as obligatory condition's of service as imposed by ofcom & the communications act 2003.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    What i am asking for is factual information on legal requirements to provide customers with account information! ie a statement of account! In this case an ISP! who have a legal duty to maintain records for a period of time as obligatory condition's of service as imposed by ofcom & the communications act 2003.
    As you appear to be unhappy with the answer's received here from people who are , for the most part, not legally trained then your recourse would be to speak to a solicitor to get a qualified answer.
  • FOREVER21
    FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
    Sorry I don't have answer, but from reading your last paragraph
    My next step would be a call to of com perhaps they could tell you what theISP must provide and in what format.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi does anyone know about statute concerning provision of statements of account for services provided. eg a ISP!

There isn't one.

I do hope that helps.
  • I apologise if you have misunderstood i do tend to get a little impatient when others stray off the point!

I may have misunderstood the purpose of this webstie i understood it to be a money saving website! I'm not sure if you are aware but lawyers tend to charge quite alot of money!

What i was looking for here were people with experience or knowledge on the question not speculation & assumption!

I appreciate people like to try to help but simply replying for the sake of doing so isn't really helpful! If you don't know then what's the point of responding! It isnt helpful to misdirect the threads subject!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure