PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    VJsmum wrote: »
    Light 2 candles sb44 - i am sat marking (ahem!! kinda :o) at my kitchen table with a fleece blanket over the knees and 2 candles lit. I couldn't get over how much warmer the kitchen was compared with the rest of the (unheated) house.

I was thinking about wood and a post on another thread from someone who was delivered soggy wood. I think I may buy a small supply of kindling and put in the shed and some carcoal so that we could boil water on the barbecue or make the 16 brick stove - which is so simple as to be ludicrous. Our supply of batteries is low too, so a visit to the pound shop is in order I think.

Your post about electricity outtage and especially planes made me think, GQ. I know at the time of the "millennium bug" it was said that there was not enough "plane suitable" space on the ground for every plane to be on the ground at the same time and there must be even more planes now. i wonder where they'd all go? :D Hospitals in the short term have back-up generators.

Off to grab a couple of tea lights, we have about 50 of them in one of those Haribo tubs (must admit I only bought them for my hubby just to get the tub, when they were reduced to £1.50).

He would say put the heating on, don't be cold.

Well, I am not now but the house is freezing. However, I have loads of washing to do and so the tumble drier will have to go on later as well, def not putting the heating on until later just before the school run.

You are right about that 16 brick stove being easy to make, I def have to get some bricks this weekend.

I only found it by chance when I was looking for Kelly Kettle vids on YouTube.

:D
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    sb44 wrote: »
    housework, it is too cold, sitting here at the pc with my feet on a hot water bottle, not putting the heating on later until the family come home.

Certainly not boring me, the stove is a fantastic find.
    I'll second VJsMum's suggestion of candles.

A few years back, I had three months living without electric or mains water. Water was carried from a spring about half a mile away, heating and cooking was a wood burner. Biggest issue, being summer was lack of refrigeration - bucket of water with a cloth draped over the items we needed to keep chilled, evaporation works fairly well. I did it by choice which is very different from necessity, and I'm not sure I'd like to be forced to repeat the experience.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I love the cat can stove - though I did have to google denatured alcohol. it is methylated spirits. I am going to get the hole punch and a bottle of meths - have plenty of tuna and no cats so tuna stove for me. I wonder if it would work with those fuel pellets you get in camping shops

I feel like Fuddle cos I really want to try it out.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    VJsmum wrote: »
    I love the cat can stove - though I did have to google denatured alcohol. it is methylated spirits. I am going to get the hole punch and a bottle of meths - have plenty of tuna and no cats so tuna stove for me. I wonder if it would work with those fuel pellets you get in camping shops

I googled it too and I think it said methylated spirits or white spirit ie paintbrush cleaning stuff.
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 December 2012 at 2:06PM
    Video for drinks can stove:

http://pinterest.com/pin/189643834280667783/

;)

Best I send the other into the loft to grab a bit of insulation wool.

This one looks a bit safer than the one in the pics a couple of posts above, it's enclosed and the insulation wool soaks up the fuel.

I may have to give this one a go.

:)
  • Hello all

Hope you are all well and not freezing your assets off!

So blinking cold here even the dog (UO) ran out for a wee and ran back in again. Apologies for spaces or extra letters, I kind of spilt sherry on the keyboard now it won't type proper.... Drinking For medicinal purposes of course!.

SB thanks for the link/photo's fascinating will try to print that out.

Managed to get 2 snugs cheap at TKMxx, ski hats and gloves and snood just beforecold snap hit. JSA ran out and hit the store supplies, as we got alittle o/d at bank. Thank Godfor prepping!

Luckily landed temp job so will restock what we used. Going to stop now as keyboard driving me mad. Any top tips to get sticky alcohol off keyboard appreciated!

BBBB
    My dog: Ears as high ranging in frequency as a bat. Nose as sensitive as a bloodhound. Eyes as accurate as Mr. Magoo's!
    Prepper and saver: novice level. :A #81 Save 12k in 2013! £3.009.00/£12,000
    #50 C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z. HairyGardenTwineWrangler & MAW OH: SpadeSplatterer. DDog:Hairy hotwater bottle and seat warmer!
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Going to stop now as keyboard driving me mad. Any top tips to get sticky alcohol off keyboard appreciated!

BBBB

Found this but not sure if I would have the courage to take off the keys!

http://pinterest.com/pin/189643834280667903/

:D
  • Hello SB

Thank you very (aaghh~) much!

Will log out and have a go today before I get tothe end ofmy tether......

BBB
    My dog: Ears as high ranging in frequency as a bat. Nose as sensitive as a bloodhound. Eyes as accurate as Mr. Magoo's!
    Prepper and saver: novice level. :A #81 Save 12k in 2013! £3.009.00/£12,000
    #50 C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z. HairyGardenTwineWrangler & MAW OH: SpadeSplatterer. DDog:Hairy hotwater bottle and seat warmer!
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Remember I posted about the cardboard boxes appearing in reception asking for donations for the food banks? Well was waiting for a friend and noticed there's now items in the boxes. All big brand names and huge tins of tuna! I couldn't believe it, i didn't see one supermarket brand or value brand it was all big named brands. Now this is interesting as the majority of my colleagues are bringing in their own lunches, cutting down the visits to the starbucks we have in the building and generally saying how tight things are. Whats going on???!!! Is it pure snobbery that those that have given didn't want to be seen to be giving supermarket or basic brands? How silly.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • hunters
    hunters Posts: 827 Forumite
    Silly? No I don't think so but I do think I would be annoyed if my colleagues were checking out what people placed in our similar food bank box.

When I have purchased anything for the box its been a duplicate can of whatever I buy myself and certainly not snobbery.
    :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport