PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• siegemode
    siegemode Posts: 384 Forumite
    First Post
    Hi everyone :D
    Stumbled upon this thread last night and would like to join. Reading other posts I could relate to and others I have learn't from. I follow the alternative news with concern and couldn't believe some of what I saw on youtube prior to Sandy. Shop shelves stripped of meat but still full of non perishables.
    Since I watched Survivors as a child I have had reocurring dreams about me and a rucksack. Over the last 40 years the contents of my rucksack have changed but the dream is still fundamentally the same. I have had to struggle financially most of the time and so all the advice and skills picked up over time and from grandparents have helped. I pride myself with being able to cook and adapt etc but as time goes by I realise how difficult this may be. I instinctively buy in bulk when I see an offer and try and stock up. I have 2 fears that drive me, the shtf survival moment or the no money/income moment. Sometimes my fears/anxiety take over and feel myself becoming obsessive. At times I ask myself if the shtf are we fit or young enough to want to survive. We have plenty of spare duvets and warm practical clothing, candles and a small gas stove and a trangia. We should be ok for warmth and food but it is water that concerns me.
    I have skimmed through the thread and may have missed stuff but has anyone covered water other than bottled ?
    We have thought about filters, purifying and distillers, any ideas anyone ?

Look forward to reading your ideas and sharing mine :)
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Good to have you on board siegemode, look forward to sharing ideas.

dazi thanks for the link, every bit helps.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • Hello SIEGEMODE welcome to the thread, always nice to have new friends come to join in with us. I can only speak for me but, I know it won't matter how fit or young (or not in my case), I have a will to survive, a zest for life that only ceasing to exist will quench. The way may be very tough but I don't think I would stop fighting and working until the bitter end. I'm a stubborn whatname anyway!!!!! Cheers Lyn.
  • siegemode
    First Post
    ginnyknit wrote: »
    Good to have you on board siegemode, look forward to sharing ideas.

Thanks
    Other things that concern my are the emp threat and heath and medical stuff.
    I see people are stocking up with loo rolls etc I have packs of wet wipes and get anxious if we go below 75 loo rolls :rotfl:
    I have books on food for free and survival but without my reading glasses and magnifying glass I have probs with the print !
  • siegemode
    First Post
    Hello SIEGEMODE welcome to the thread, always nice to have new friends come to join in with us. I can only speak for me but, I know it won't matter how fit or young (or not in my case), I have a will to survive, a zest for life that only ceasing to exist will quench. The way may be very tough but I don't think I would stop fighting and working until the bitter end. I'm a stubborn whatname anyway!!!!! Cheers Lyn.
    Thanks, I wouldn't give up as its not my nature or will, but I do get worried sometimes. Being informed is sometimes so scarey. I don't talk about all this as most people I know including family think I'm a conspiracy theorit and a complete nutter.
  • I don't care what other people think pet, I think being prepared, for whatever scenario might happen by having skills and knowledge puts us all ahead of the game. If bad things happen it will be out of our control, but our response to it will determine how we cope. Don't be scared, learn how to take care of you and yours and you'll be in with a fighting chance. Chin up, Cheers Lyn.
  • Welcome siegemode. We all have different reasons for trying to be prepared, in many cases it is because of job insecurity or benefit changes that will really hit hard next year or preparing for food shortages, strikes, civil unrest etc.
    We are a like minded lot and sometimes get sidetracked into drooling over hunks or just having a general jest fest, but that is the way that we cope.
    I am currently looking at opening up the fireplaces in my house and putting a wood burning stove in the utility room which will provide an alternative for cooking if we lose power.
    There is no need to panic, but it is wise to be prudent and be prepared.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    hi siegemode we have indeed covered off a couple of other options on water like filtration and tablets and bleach/chlorine/iodine if I get a chance I'll post some links :)
    Blah
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Blah
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :hello:Hello and welcome, siegemode, glad to have you posting and hope that many more lurkers will come out to play.

It's interesting (well, it interests me, anyway :o) to savour the mood of the times, as it were, that zeitgeisty thingummy wotsit, as media-types are wont to call it.

It seems to me that the mood of the times is one of nagging anxiety and retrenchment. We've had a long time of rising costs outstripping real incomes, whether those incomes are wages, pensions, benefits or a pot pourri of all of them.

Nitwits on the news can say that grocery price inflation is up by X% (usually under 10%) but every observant person who shops knows that some things are more than double the price they were a couple of years back.

So, we cut our coat according to our cloth, and go downbrand in true MSE style, and still find that even modest basics and tiddly little treats are going up 20-50% from one day to another. Prices flicker up and down like fireflies, and I find myself leaping on a bargain with glee only to stop and recall that, not very long ago, what now seems like a fantastic deal was the everyday price.

I mean, I know transportation and energy costs have gone up but why the heck has a 10-pack of Floralys t.p. leapt from £1.27 to £1.89 in a year? Anyone in the t.p. business present? Because I'd surely love to know.

We live in times where the everyday stuff is becoming costly, where are incomes are static or even falling, where employment is precarious and its T & Cs parlous. It's looking a lot like the bad old days and I really don't want to do the 1970s again. Fer cryin' out loud, it was bad enough the first time around.:(

To cap it all, our respective Gubments are unblushing about having our worst interests at heart, and are acting with malice-aforethought towards large sections of society. And I feel it's only a matter of time before they come for the rest.

Not surprising that a sensitive person would feel anxious about the future, wanting to protect themselves, and their loved ones, whether those are a circle of friends and neighbours and/ or your own relatives. Plenty of anxious mums and dads, and grannies and grandads, out there in RL.

Sooo, prepping is the mood of the moment, to try to cover ourselves against some of the predicatable woes. And, if some people feel that there is a great and beneficent Them out there, a BigDaddy or SuperMum, who will ride to the rescue in their hour of need..................

I envy you. Seriously. Because I don't feel safe and protected in that way and think it would be great (in a way) to be so oblivious of potential harm.

OK, the evening essay endeth here.....:rotfl:

Is anyone else here registered with the Environment Agency Floodline alerts? And, if you are, are they bombarding you with emails and automated phone messages to check that your contact details are up-to-date and that you've made a floodplan?

I've been with them for a couple of years and never heard a peep from them and there's all this stuff all of a sudden. Makes me wonder if the EA are bracing for serious winter flooding are trying to get us registered persons to up our game?

Be interested to hear anyone else's experiences.

Gonna have supper shortly and then will play with the scanner to get some more receipts etc onto file then onto removable storage, which shall be removed to somewhere about 200 ft higher above sea-level and a lot further from a river than my pint-sized pleasure palace.

Laters, GQ xx
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills