buyer claiming damaged item, what can I do?

I sold a boy's winter coat as used, it went for significantly more money than I was expecting. Like three times as much.
The buyer messaged me at midnight last night saying it had arrived but the little scrap of leather on the zip that you pull, fell off when she pulled the zip.
She said she wasn't happy.
I said i can see how that would be disappointing and how could we resolve it?
Bear in mind the zip works, just the pull allegedly fell off. I was thinking tops of giving her a 20% refund so she could get a leather shoelace to use as a pull, seeing how leather was the trim...
She's asked for a full refund.

I'm thinking she's had buyer's remorse having paid way over the odds for a used coat. The zip was fine when I posted it out, I pulled it to make sure, I described the coat as used, it was clean and unmarked condition.

Not sold on ebay for a long time having heard horror stories about scammers.

Where do I stand please?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sallyrsm wrote: »
    I sold a boy's winter coat as used, it went for significantly more money than I was expecting. Like three times as much.
    The buyer messaged me at midnight last night saying it had arrived but the little scrap of leather on the zip that you pull, fell off when she pulled the zip.
    She said she wasn't happy.
    I said i can see how that would be disappointing and how could we resolve it?
    Bear in mind the zip works, just the pull allegedly fell off. I was thinking tops of giving her a 20% refund so she could get a leather shoelace to use as a pull, seeing how leather was the trim...
    She's asked for a full refund.

I'm thinking she's had buyer's remorse having paid way over the odds for a used coat. The zip was fine when I posted it out, I pulled it to make sure, I described the coat as used, it was clean and unmarked condition.

Not sold on ebay for a long time having heard horror stories about scammers.

Where do I stand please?

The easiest way to stop a scammer is to ask them to open a case so that you can supply a returns label, and on safe receipt just refund. Don't negotiate on percentages as buyer seems to be angling for a full refund, just agree and point them towards a case. No case, no return = no refund.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    When you 3 times as much..........did you check completed listings history it might not be way over odds
    As previous post just tell them to open a case
  • sallyrsm
    sallyrsm Posts: 339 Forumite
    I've had a return request but there is no option to dispute it.

The item was described as used, didn't even say it was good condition although it was.

Should I reply to her and tell her to go through the resolution centre?

I'm so annoyed.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    No, just accept the return.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Accept the return, otherwise Ebay may refund the buyer from your PayPal Account. You will then have to try and get the coat back. If they did not return the coat then you can close the return and Ebay should remove any feedback they left/leave. If you got the coat back then its obviously got value so you could sell again. Regardless I would add them to your block bidder list.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't waste your energy getting annoyed (or try not to) - it isn't worth it.
  • Just regard yourself lucky if you get the coat back in one piece.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure