Renovations and Repayments.

Comments

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Time will tell :)

That it will. :) Still no sale.
    maman wrote: »
    Sorry Alex, didn't mean to ridicule you at all. Of course, you're aware that you don't have relevant qualifications. My jibe was pointed at the fact that the government don't seem to think relevant qualifications matter. One of the many policies we're not in control of!

I can't agree with your comment about being too old. Teachers are currently expected to work until 68 so that's plenty of time.

Differentiating between inherited or earned does matter because, as you've said yourself in a subsequent post, the fact that you stand to inherit seems to have taken all motivation away from you and left you with dissatisfaction.

Have you never eaten a selection box for breakfast on Christmas morning?;)

Maman, thank you for clarifying.

From what I've been reading a fair few of the government policies for education are ludicrous and are not informed by practice based research. Personally, I can't say I like what I'm hearing from the government regarding education policy as it seems rooted purely in political ideology and potential cost cutting.

Most would have about 13 years more experience at my age if I became a teacher. I suppose the thing that puts me off the most is the fear of it not working out, having another breakdown and subsequently letting the pupils, employer and my family down. This year I was meant to be getting my mind into a better place and potentially applying for a PGCE place. However, I don't seem to be able to get any better, unfortunately.

Yes, I envy those with enough self motivation to do well on their own terms, without needing their parents financial input. I greatly envy people happy with the type of average life my wife and I have, who don't feel they're failing their children because they had more. I suppose I'd envy someone with a £10k p/a job in a shop and a rented flat if they were genuinely happy, content and could sleep at night. My parents did well and I've repeatedly failed them as a son, hardly something to be proud of. Knowing I'm unable to match their achievements does demotivate and dissatisfy.

Selection box for breakfast on Christmas day morning? No. I wasn't allowed to open any presents before dinner.
    I see you've been busy - great new signature :T
    Well, its now the 1st April - time for Challenge 2

Have you decided, What, time and amount, yet :D

Sorry post is short, still laid low with this awful bug :(

Challenge 2 is to budget properly and make an overpayment of £750. :)

Hope this is OK for a Challenge? :)

Sorry to hear you're unwell. :(
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Did you get to see the birds? I. Back in the UK for a week and was very happy to see some red kites - I miss them :( but will make do with sea eagles and hoopoes (aka birds designed by Disney :rotfl:)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    When to open Xmas presents is such a dangerous subject :rotfl: like you my dh swapped presents after dinner with his family poor thing :p luckily I won the battle of when to open them, and we started our traditions with the kids of letting them wake us up any time after 5am. Breakfast was chocolate in bed :eek:

Excellent plan for a challenge this month Alex :T

GG hoopoes where my favourite bird growing up, my granddad was a a huge twitcher who used to take me bird watching, I never did see one in Essex down the country lanes though :rotfl:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 3 April 2016 at 12:10AM
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Did you get to see the birds? I. Back in the UK for a week and was very happy to see some red kites - I miss them :( but will make do with sea eagles and hoopoes (aka birds designed by Disney :rotfl:)

Yes, we went to Rutland Water, it was a lovely day. :) My son loved it. Next week we've got quite a lot of local walking planned.

:rotfl: Re. the Spanish birds!
    newgirly wrote: »
    When to open Xmas presents is such a dangerous subject :rotfl: like you my dh swapped presents after dinner with his family poor thing :p luckily I won the battle of when to open them, and we started our traditions with the kids of letting them wake us up any time after 5am. Breakfast was chocolate in bed :eek:

Excellent plan for a challenge this month Alex :T

GG hoopoes where my favourite bird growing up, my granddad was a a huge twitcher who used to take me bird watching, I never did see one in Essex down the country lanes though :rotfl:

Won't be having chocolate in bed on Christmas morning but my son does open his presents after breakfast here. :)

Thanks. Had a low spend day of £5.35 on food today, so things seem to be going well.

:rotfl: Re. the birds. Birdwatching with my son only came about when we were heavily in debt and Mrs K cut off my access to our personal money. I ended up buying a bird book from a local antiques shop for under £1 and started to take advantage of our glorious countryside with my son. Luckily, I found something he was very interested in - not just birds but all animals and wildlife. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,928 Forumite
    :rotfl: Re. the birds. Birdwatching with my son only came about when we were heavily in debt and Mrs K cut off my access to our personal money. I ended up buying a bird book from a local antiques shop for under £1 and started to take advantage of our glorious countryside with my son. Luckily, I found something he was very interested in - not just birds but all animals and wildlife. :)[/QUOTE]

That's a lovely silver lining to a difficult situation :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    newgirly wrote: »
    That's a lovely silver lining to a difficult situation :)

Thanks NG. :)

Some of the days I spent with my son when he was a bit younger and I had very little access to money are the fondest in my memory. These days the fondest are when my son and I go walking. Nothing you think is important matters out there.

Had some very special memories made today as I helped my cousin with lambing. My son was brilliant, very proud of him but wants to bring them home! :rotfl: :D

Also, today has been a NSD and we had a nice drive around the peaks in the TR6. :) Overall, it's been a good day despite not feeling particularly well.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    Lovely post, still trying to keep up with you :) Your doing well with the NSD's so far:T

Hope you've not got the bug that is going around. I still haven't eaten anything to talk off since last Tuesday, silver lining to that is - no spends on food as such and still have my stock in the freezer - with the bonus being - losing some weight :D
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Lovely post, still trying to keep up with you :) Your doing well with the NSD's so far:T

Hope you've not got the bug that is going around. I still haven't eaten anything to talk off since last Tuesday, silver lining to that is - no spends on food as such and still have my stock in the freezer - with the bonus being - losing some weight :D

Thank you. :) All is still on track at the moment and we've been spending very little. No more NSDs but each day has been fairly low spending.

I hope you're getting better and eating again.

Took my son to see the in-laws today. I don't enjoy visiting but have started taking my son there each holiday as they are his grandparents, unfortunately. Father in Law was his usual boorish self. Glad that's all done with until summer as we won't be here in May.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Has little K settled a bit into school now?
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Today has been a low spend day of £11.
    Has little K settled a bit into school now?

A little bit, though it's not his favourite place to go. Today I mentioned going back and he said he doesn't want to. He does know he needs to, though. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills