PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Milton Sterilising fluid

Comments

• Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I thought it had a life of 24 hours and then wasnt effective after that time - hence why you change the baby sterilising solution every 24 hours?
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have always used Milton to clean my microwave with as i read years ahgo how it was very good for getting rid of the 'nasties' that lurk in there.
  • Dippypud
    Dippypud Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Sylvan wrote: »
    I haven't used Milton for decades. Used to use it all the time.
    Went looking for it yesterday and neither the bottles nor the tablets give any instructions for using it to make water safe.
    There's a warning on the bottle saying it's highly dangerous and should not be ingested.

Does anyone know?

Been looking on line, I think Milton have changed their recipe.

Camping shops sell Water Purification tabs, (iodine), some online sellers sell bleach type tabs, but I don't know much about them.

Hope this helps, Pud
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    student100 wrote: »
    Milton is dilute Sodium Hypochlorite solution - otherwise known as BLEACH. If you buy THIN bleach in the supermarket it is exactly the same chemical composition as Milton, although a little more concentrated. (Bleach is usually a 4-5% sodium hypochlorite solution whereas Milton is about 1-2%). And bleach is a lot cheaper!

So how can you use Milton to make suspect water safe to drink, but you couldn't use bleach?
  • MrsEm
    MrsEm Posts: 49 Forumite
    We use the supermarket version for our toothbrushes about once a month - even rinsed they taste vile the first time you use them afterwards but at least you know you've killed off any nasties living on them!
    MFW 2011 #170...£3800 OP YTD - need to reconsider my 2011 target (ooops!)...in it for the long haul...
  • Cazzdevil
    Cazzdevil Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My bathroom towels were starting to get a bit on the smelly side and my boyfriend heard somewhere about putting a cap of sterilising fluid in the washer drawer so I tried it.

It's worked, they don't smell any more, but I can't find anything on the net anywhere which indicates this is safe to do. I'm assuming so as it's used for baby bottles and whatnot, but can anyone confirm or deny this?
  • Toodle
    Toodle Posts: 87 Forumite
    I use dettol diluted to the correct requirements for my kitchen and bathroom surfaces, as I have a seaky suspicion the !!!!! cats hop on and off when I'm not around (footprints on my drainer gave me an inkling!) Does this lose its' effectiveness over 24 hours as Milton/sterilising fluid does anyone know, or could I make a quantity up and pop it in a spray bottle to use over the week?

Thanks in advance
    Toodles-SAHM to a beautiful 3 year old DD, Baby #2 on the way!
    Just started comping 02/11/11 Everything crossed!
  • emiff6
    emiff6 Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Post
    Toodle wrote: »
    I use dettol diluted to the correct requirements for my kitchen and bathroom surfaces, as I have a seaky suspicion the !!!!! cats hop on and off when I'm not around (footprints on my drainer gave me an inkling!) Does this lose its' effectiveness over 24 hours as Milton/sterilising fluid does anyone know, or could I make a quantity up and pop it in a spray bottle to use over the week?

Thanks in advance
    Isn't there a warning on the dettol bottle that it is not to be used around cats? (I could be wrong - it's a while since I looked at a bottle)
    If I'm over the hill, where was the top?
  • Toodle
    Toodle Posts: 87 Forumite
    emiff6 wrote: »
    Isn't there a warning on the dettol bottle that it is not to be used around cats? (I could be wrong - it's a while since I looked at a bottle)

I just looked and yes, there is;

"Not recommended for use around cats"...

Hmm, I only use it on the tops, and it's never caused any problems, but I think I'll switch back to the Asda Little Angels Sterilising Tabs I always used when DD was younger. I'd never forgive myself if it caused them any problems. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
    Toodles-SAHM to a beautiful 3 year old DD, Baby #2 on the way!
    Just started comping 02/11/11 Everything crossed!
  • betony
    betony Posts: 176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I thought I'd revive this thread as I've just bought 4 packs of 64 tablets of Superdrug's own brand sterlising solution for 14p each - couldn't resist the bargain:p

Now, I used to use this stuff ages ago for making sure my kitchen surfaces were properly clean when I had 2 cats that had the run of the flat while I was at work. But what other uses are there for it, other than those listed already? I'm sure many people use it without giving a second thought to it being a multi-purpose product, as well as economical and useful.

Let us hear your thoughts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport