The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Gas meter capped when I was on holiday - help!

Comments

• rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What a horribly inefficient boiler you're burning gas with and creating NO2/CO2 etc with that harms all of us.

Tragedy of the commons I guess.
  • mouseclick
    mouseclick Posts: 236
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    rtho782 wrote: »
    What a horribly inefficient boiler you're burning gas with and creating NO2/CO2 etc with that harms all of us.

Tragedy of the commons I guess.

We are not all privileged with enough money to buy the latest and newest equipment, rho792. So apologies if I do not meet up to your high standards. However, at least the Ideal Mexico goes on and on and on, without breaking down, so I guess there are some savings in the respect of the equipment having to be replaced less often. But you can rejoice, as it is now out of action, and it seems as if it will be for the winter.
  • Thanks to everyone's help, especially Hengus, MrGenerous, House Martin, and Norman Castle. I had a chat with a friend, and I think it's best I cancel the appointment on Monday with the original engineer, and wait until I have some money. I don't want a lodger now, because I don't want someone I don't know inside my property, and I realise it was a bad mistake I made to get this test, I was a bit naive. I believe I can also now stop paying the standing charge on the gas, that will save some money. It will be fixed at a future date. Thanks again
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    mouseclick wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone's help, especially Hengus, MrGenerous, House Martin, and Norman Castle. I had a chat with a friend, and I think it's best I cancel the appointment on Monday with the original engineer, and wait until I have some money. I don't want a lodger now, because I don't want someone I don't know inside my property, and I realise it was a bad mistake I made to get this test, I was a bit naive. I believe I can also now stop paying the standing charge on the gas, that will save some money. It will be fixed at a future date. Thanks again

Is the meter still there?

Our daughter had to have the meter taken out in order to stop paying the standing charge.

You will need to check with your supplier they may insist you do the same.
  • mouseclick
    Forumite
    edited 8 October 2017 at 1:12AM
    MeterMan wrote: »
    I dont really understand what all the commotion is about on this thread.

Your gas was cut off because the fire had a crack in it and the boiler flue is too close to an openable window?

Is there any other issues at present here, because why would he not just disconnect the fire, because a flue being too close to an openable window does not constitute an immediately dangerous situation.

Ah, MeterMan, I just noticed this. No, there are no other issues present at all. I am told the inside CO test was only done with the window wide open, the boiler on full. There was no seepage when the window was closed.

Is there anywhere where I can get what you said in writing?

All I can find is this https://www.emergencyplumber.uk.com/plumbing/fanned-flue-too-close-openable-window/ but it seems to relate to fanned flues only.

I will recap the story, again:

The original telephone agreement was that he would disconnect the gas fire if there were any problems at all, because I knew this had a faulty backplate, and I said I did not want it to fail on that. Then I asked him to service the boiler, he said this could be done with the £50 test fee.

He did not turn up on the day due, so my neighbour had to stand in for me.

But he went straight to the boiler, and took pictures of my kitchen window, and put these on Facebook. He said there were fumes coming in, but there weren't. I had a CO meter inside that did not go off zero.

So he opened the window wide, put the boiler on full, and put the CO meter just inside the window. Of course, CO registered. But I don't know how much, I just have to take his word. He then said I could be killed if I washed dishes in the sink, and ran the hot water. On the DO NOT USE document, it said exactly this: "FLUE TO CLOSE TO OPENING. SPILLING INTO BUILDING"

Then he tested the fire in the living room, and condemned this too. Then he capped the meter, but he didn't tell my neighbour he did that, or me. He told my neighbour he would phone me, but he didn't, and when I got home after 12 hours travelling, I was confused, cold and angry.

So that's the reason, in capitals, and the sequence of events, according to my neighbour.

I have asked for a receipt etc, but not given and no address on the newspaper advert or even in the Gas Safe Register. Just a company name, no phone number. And only a mobile number in the advert, which seems to be registered to several different addresses. The one nearest to me is a disused house. I think he lives quite far away.

I am kicking myself for not using a local engineer, but I thought he was, because it was a local paper
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433
    Forumite
    Well unfortunately Products of Combustion or CO coming back through the window(to give the fear factor a bump) would constitute an immediately dangerous situation.

Your best bet is to get a second opinion before forking out for a new boiler. If you can't find anyone locally to have a look. You'll be able to get one of the Wilbur team to take a look within a short space of time, but they charge a premium for that.

As for the capping without permission being given, You weren't there to give permission. If permission had not been given, your gas engineer would have had to contact national grid, who would turn up and either cap the meter with permission, or dig the road up and disconnect your gas in the street and then charged a re-connection fee. This process exists to stop gas engineers from saying you need a new boiler when you don't (not saying you do or dont need a new one)
  • mouseclick
    Forumite
    edited 8 October 2017 at 12:31PM
    Well unfortunately Products of Combustion or CO coming back through the window(to give the fear factor a bump) would constitute an immediately dangerous situation.

Your best bet is to get a second opinion before forking out for a new boiler. If you can't find anyone locally to have a look. You'll be able to get one of the Wilbur team to take a look within a short space of time, but they charge a premium for that.

As for the capping without permission being given, You weren't there to give permission. If permission had not been given, your gas engineer would have had to contact national grid, who would turn up and either cap the meter with permission, or dig the road up and disconnect your gas in the street and then charged a re-connection fee. This process exists to stop gas engineers from saying you need a new boiler when you don't (not saying you do or dont need a new one)

Yes, I understand, thanks. I have emailed the Gas Safety Register, and will await their response. I presume you realise that the "spilling" seems to have been measured with the openable window fully open, the boiler full on and the meter sticking outside the window? In other words, it was an outside measurement, for all intents and purposes. So, I think I will wait to see what the Gas Safety Register says. I am sure that even a modern flue would fail this test, with a 600mm gap, if the probe were placed in the updraft

As for buying a new boiler, this is impossible, I cannot afford it. I will have to live with a gas fire. To install a new boiler would mean tearing out the kitchen. The house is up for sale, but I cannot move out for 6 months to a year, and whoever moves in will renovate the kitchen anyway. So, if I cannot get the old boiler repaired, I have to suffer for a year or so. I needed some income from a lodger to pay off debts.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,416
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I believe I can also now stop paying the standing charge on the gas, that will save some money.

Unless the meter is removed, the only way to avoid the standing charge is to switch to another supplier - Ebico do a zero standing charge tariff which would be ideal for you. You'd only pay for the gas used (all be it at a higher unit cost), and there are no exit fees should you wish to change to another supplier.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433
    Forumite
    Yes, I understand, thanks. I have emailed the Gas Safety Register, and will await their response. I presume you realise that the "spilling" seems to have been measured with the openable window fully open, the boiler full on and the meter sticking outside the window? In other words, it was an outside measurement, for all intents and purposes. So, I think I will wait to see what the Gas Safety Register says. I am sure that even a modern flue would fail this test, with a 600mm gap, if the probe were placed in the updraft

As for buying a new boiler, this is impossible, I cannot afford it. I will have to live with a gas fire. To install a new boiler would mean tearing out the kitchen. The house is up for sale, but I cannot move out for 6 months to a year, and whoever moves in will renovate the kitchen anyway. So, if I cannot get the old boiler repaired, I have to suffer for a year or so. I needed some income from a lodger to pay off debts.

If you're really in doubt, get a second opinion. You are allowed to do this.
  • mouseclick
    Forumite
    edited 8 October 2017 at 4:43PM
    If you're really in doubt, get a second opinion. You are allowed to do this.

That's absolutely the best thing I have heard so far, thanks. I have emailed some local engineers, but as I mentioned, they are all extremely busy, no responses from any of them yet. I'll wait.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure