Learning to budget to make future adventures happen

Comments

• crunch_time
    crunch_time Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    Hi crunchy. Hope all is quiet on the Western Front now with DD!:)

Re your hubby and credit cards - would he consider using his debit card for "spends" and just use the cc for household emergencies and whatnot? Might make him think before he spends as anything on the debit card will come straight out of your bank account.

Ha ha! She is a lot better this week and seems to be listening more. She came out in a cold which might have been the problem.

With regards to the account we have tried this before and he kept going overdrawn. We also have our car payment go it mid month and I used to be worried it would bounce. Three years ago when i started this diary he had to use his own credit card for expenses and the company would take ages to pay back and he wouldn't make regular claims which used to infuriate me. The company he is now with have given him a company credit card and he claims for his food for the day in that it's anything extra. For example, he went out with a colleague one evening when he was away recently and bought a couple of rounds for about £20 and put them on his credit card. I told him I would have to pay it off out of our £100 spending money.

When I'm not working I'm thinking about using my bank account as the food account and giving him the food account which is just a basic bank account for these sorts of spends. He can have an allowance every month to keep him happy.

He is sooooo much better than he used to be.

I hopefully have someone coming this am to buy my pram for £25. I will be pleased as it's been for sale for ages.

Really really really need to do some packing.

Crunchy xx
    19/8/19 vs now Current Total debt £14,188 Savings £2757
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
    House stuff and improvements £4460 Virgin 2 £2740
  • crunch_time
    Oh Crunchy just reading about your daughters tantrums remind me of my DD2... she is an absolute nightmare and still carries on and she is nearly 9 :eek:. Fingers crossed for you it is just her trying to assert her independence. I kid you not we have battling her since she was weeks old :eek:.

2nd children.. i was always under the impression they just fit into the family life not ruled the roost :rotfl:

Yay to the house move, it won't be long now! xx

Mummy to girls - sorry I meant to reply to this a while ago but forgot!! Yes I remember your dd!! My dd is a good girl really but yes definitely exerting independence.

I say to husband if she came first there wouldnt have been another!!

Xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Dishwasher broke so had to fork out £60 to fix it today and had to sit in all day to wait for the man - not good with a three year old!!

I also stabbed myself in the nail bed with something sharp when trying to tidy up - looked like a bit of straw!!! Weird!

It all then got a bit too much so dd and I had a nap on the sofa. I forgot to set my alarm and woke up at 3.30pm - 15 mins after school pick up!!

Parenting fail!!!

I've realised as well that all my readers and marking are up to date at school but I've struggled to help ds with his reading and homework this week. Something has got to change!

Crunchy xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • Willowtree222
    Willowtree222 Posts: 7,696 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Dishwasher broke so had to fork out £60 to fix it today and had to sit in all day to wait for the man - not good with a three year old!!

I also stabbed myself in the nail bed with something sharp when trying to tidy up - looked like a bit of straw!!! Weird!

It all then got a bit too much so dd and I had a nap on the sofa. I forgot to set my alarm and woke up at 3.30pm - 15 mins after school pick up!!

Parenting fail!!!

I've realised as well that all my readers and marking are up to date at school but I've struggled to help ds with his reading and homework this week. Something has got to change!

Crunchy xx

The balance is never ever right. Glad you are making the change.
    x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Hi Crunchy - we "bumped" into each other on another thread, so I thought I would pop in to say hello.

I read your diary and am so impressed with the way you have tackled your debt in such a focused way. You really have improved your families financial position and it is great to see this is now paying off and allowing you to buy a new house and potentially give up work.

Hopefully you might come and join us on the mortgage free wanabe thread soon - we are a very friendly bunch x
  • crunch_time
    Busy_Mee1 wrote: »
    Hi Crunchy - we "bumped" into each other on another thread, so I thought I would pop in to say hello.

I read your diary and am so impressed with the way you have tackled your debt in such a focused way. You really have improved your families financial position and it is great to see this is now paying off and allowing you to buy a new house and potentially give up work.

Hopefully you might come and join us on the mortgage free wanabe thread soon - we are a very friendly bunch x

Hi busy mee! Thanks for stopping by my diary - and reading the whole thing!! I think I am on my third now. There have been various phases in the last few years.

Thanks for your comments too! I guess I do come across as being very focussed. It hasn’t always been an easy ride but it’s been worth the slog and sacrifice. We are not as financially independent as I would like us to be but I guess being able to decide to stay at home with my children after just doubling my mortgage knowing that everything is covered is a blessing and I won’t forget that

I do already follow lots of mortgage free wannabes who are very inspirational!! Still got a way to go to get to debt freedom but the weight of my new £300k plus mortgage will bear down on me sooner than I want to I’m sure!!

Crunchy xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Morning all

Feeling a bit iffy this morning. Work up with a headache and dodgy stomach. I don’t feel sick just very full and dragged down. There is a sickness bug going around both schools and I’m feeling anxious that myself and the kids will get it at some point.

We managed to get some more boxes packed yesterday and husband had filled in all the holes where pictures and shelves used to be. We went to visit the new house again yesterday and absolutely cannot wait to move now! It’s sooo lovely!!

Nothing much else to report!! Just trying not to do anything or spend too much money at the moment.

Happy Sunday everyone!

Crunchy xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • Willowtree222
    Happy Sunday.

Hope you're feeling better now?

I'm hoping for a NSD. X

Starting afresh.

• crunch_time
    Nicnak wrote: »
    Happy Sunday.

Hope you're feeling better now?

I'm hoping for a NSD. X

I don’t actually I feel worse - headache, shivers, body aches, feel sick and the other, chesty cough, drained feeling. Spent most of the day in bed or on the sofa. Had a panic attack about work tomorrow. Husband supportive but cross with me as I keep apologising. Truth is work won’t take kindly with me being off sick again as people won’t get their ppa as they refuse to use supply teachers just higher level tas but I don’t care. I can barely lift my head off the pillow.

Crunchy xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • Willowtree222
    I don’t actually I feel worse - headache, shivers, body aches, feel sick and the other, chesty cough, drained feeling. Spent most of the day in bed or on the sofa. Had a panic attack about work tomorrow. Husband supportive but cross with me as I keep apologising. Truth is work won’t take kindly with me being off sick again as people won’t get their ppa as they refuse to use supply teachers just higher level tas but I don’t care. I can barely lift my head off the pillow.

Crunchy xx

I know that feeling. You have to do what's right for you, although you end up going in when you shouldn't because you feel so bad about being off.
    Be kind to yourself x

Starting afresh.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business