PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Comments

• I tried to reclaim PPI on an Amex CC which I held from 1996 to c2007. I supplied Amex with all my three addresses and DoB and they have replied stating that they cannot locate my account as accounts more than six years old may no longer be held.
    Can anyone advise on how I can progress matters as I don't have the account number they say they require to retrieve my info?
    Thanks
  • lisawood78
    lisawood78 Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    If they have no info and you have no paperwork then I don't think you can do anything else at all.
    2 angels in heaven :A
  • Have had about 6 loans will Lloyd's over the years. ALL with PPI - told I needed PPI to get the loan every time, though I was getting good pay from work. Tried to claim but have been told by Lloyd's that as they only keep records for 6 years they say I have never had any loans with then....Funny that I had 6 new cars during this time all with loans from Lloyd's! hey are usinng the 6 year rule as an excuse to pay up.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    jodanuke wrote: »
    Have had about 6 loans will Lloyd's over the years. ALL with PPI - told I needed PPI to get the loan every time, though I was getting good pay from work. Tried to claim but have been told by Lloyd's that as they only keep records for 6 years they say I have never had any loans with then....Funny that I had 6 new cars during this time all with loans from Lloyd's! hey are usinng the 6 year rule as an excuse to pay up.

There is no 6 year rule in respect of documents. There is a 6 year timebar but it can only be used if the 3 year time bar is also satisfied. It cannot be used by itself.

I suspect what they have said is that they cant find anything and were giving the an explanation as to why that may be the case. That would include destruction of data that is no longer required. That typically happens from 6 years after the closure of a loan but could be much longer.

If you don't believe them then you can spend £10 and do a DSAR. That will tell you what records they have.

Are you going to the right Lloyds? Lloyds have a number of subsidiaries who lend money but wont know what the other subsidiaries do. For example, for Lloyds Motor finance, Lloyds Bank wouldnt know what they have done. Lloyds Bank only know what the branches have done.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Yes Lloyd's bank for personal loans
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Lloyds (branches) hold records on personal loans going back decades. The agreements may be long gone but the detail, including whether it had PPI or not, will exist (the account code for the loan was different for with and without PPI).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • mggftz30
    mggftz30 Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I had a business insurance policy with Barclays for about 10 years. I was told the insurance was required in order for me to open a business account with them. In 2012 I cancelled the insurance but was still able to keep my business account open! It was only after watching a Martin Lewis TV program that I felt motivated to write to Barclays and claim I was miss-sold this insurance. Barclays initially replied stating my claim was unsuccessful because they could not trace the policy - despite me having sent them bank statements showing the payments. I rang Barclays customer services who had no problem tracing my policy and the case was re-opened. I am delighted that now Barclays have agreed my claim and paid me just over £5,000 to cover all the insurance premiums I paid with an additional 8% interest on top. A huge thank you to Martin and his team who made this happen.
  • Wimbrel
    Wimbrel Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    edited 29 April 2016 at 8:17PM
    What were you reclaiming: PPI on credit card
    Who was the provider: Capital One
    How much did you get back:£3800
    Did you get it back after a letter. I downloaded and sent a complaint form

I was sorting through old paperwork a couple of weeks ago and found an old credit card bill of my Husbands. To my surprise it showed PPI so I talked to him about it and he thoughtt that it had been added when he phoned to activate a replacement card. This was years back ( the statement was from Jan 2000 ). My husband is self employed , has tradesmen's insurance which includes accident and sickness cover and also has an insurance plan which pays a daily sum for any hospitalisation. I dug out the insurances which were in force when he had this card then went to Capital One's website and downloaded a complaints form.

I also had a darned good hunt for any PPI policy or statements and couldn't find them.

We filled in the form honestly, being open about what my husband could and couldn't remember and stating that we had been unable to find any PPI policy documents or statements and, since I file all such documents. wondered if they had ever been sent . I then stated that we believed that, due to my husband's self employed status a claim on the policy would not have been successful and that , as my husband could not recall at any time being asked about his financial status or other insurance products, it would appear that due diligence had nit been followed in the sale of the policy.

I then gave the policy numbers of the relevant insurances

We therefore asked Capital one to investigate whether the product was missold.

Sent that off last Friday. When a letter arrived today I assumed that it was an acknowledgement of receipt so was flabbergasted to find that it was a letter stating that the complaint was upheld and an offer letter for just over £3800!

I'm really impressed with the sheer speed of the response. Apparently the cheque will be sent within 19 days.

Wow! That's a nice boost to husband's ISA!
  • Sounds good - but how do I find those documents?
  • Wimbrel
    Wimbrel Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    jodanuke Sounds good - but how do I find those documents?
    If you don't have the documents you can ask the company if you ever had PPI with them . Take a look at the FAQs in this section of the site and they'll tell you how to go about it and to check if you have a valid claim for miss selling
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback