MoneySaving Poll: The MSE Leaders’ Debate - Pick the key subject for PM candidates

2»

Comments

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 April 2015 at 10:11AM
    marleyboy wrote: »
    Mr Lewis does like to add that "we are including you - and its not a political site - trust me when I say this", before adding, "we thought talking to politicians is in the best interests of consumerism", cue more political claptrap that shows it to be the case. ;)
    Given the objectives of both Martin and the site a good degree of political engagement is useful, not inherently bad. It's also to be expected that this sort of thing will tend to better match the agendas of some political parties than others.

There's one pension-related question that I'd love to see asked:

"A 65 year old today could get a single-life RPI inflation-linked annuity pension income of £1,631 a year, 3.26% of their pension pot. Or they could defer claiming their state pension and get 10.4%, around three times as much at perhaps £5,200 a year with spousal pension and CPI inflation protection. Do you agree that it is a scandal that annuity firms are allowed to sell people annuities without even mentioning the option that pays three times as much and that Pension Wise doesn't even mention the option? What will you do to make sure that people are told about the option that will pay them three times as much income for their money?"

It's 10.4% with spousal pension today. For those who reach state pension age from 6 April 2016 it's 5.8% with no spousal pension but still CPI protection. Still way more than the comparable normal health annuity.
  • Idorego
    Idorego Posts: 18 Forumite
    Speaking as a student, the living costs thing is actually a pretty big issue. I chose cheap accommodation last year and my student loan didn't even cover it. This year I'm renting privately but it's still only just covered by the loan. Nearly all my living costs are completely dependent on my personal savings.
  • Baalmaiden
    Baalmaiden Posts: 91 Forumite
    Idorego wrote: »
    Speaking as a student, the living costs thing is actually a pretty big issue. I chose cheap accommodation last year and my student loan didn't even cover it. This year I'm renting privately but it's still only just covered by the loan. Nearly all my living costs are completely dependent on my personal savings.

I have sympathy with your problem but I do think this emphasizes the need for financial education, which was one of the questions.
    My children did weekend jobs to accrue some savings for when they would be students. Too many young people today are encouraged to see being a student just as a fun time and have no idea of how to manage money.
    I work in a school with a sixth form and recently the school has encouraged a van with trendy and expensive coffees etc to call at break time. When I questioned this, saying that it encouraged students (some who come from poor families) to waste money I was told that the school has to compete with colleges which have such facilities as standard.
    As for healthy eating - all cupcakes and sweets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure