The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Roll up, Roll up. A New Month, A New Challenge.
    aug-13-estonian-summer-sun-preview.pngnovember.jpg
    SET A
    Target_logo.jpg
    30 days up for grabs!

Everyone Welcome!!!
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    cathybird wrote: »
    Re weight loss, not a subject on which I am any kind of expert but I have managed (for now at least) to substitute those rice cakes with the thin coating of chocolate on top for any other kind of chocolate - they are quite low-calorie and it seems to help.

To be honest my weight gain is probably to do with not enough exercise...I really enjoy exercise but sometimes my life gets so busy I can't fit it in. Seem to be back in the zone...for now...
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • Hi Everyone

31/31 for October Shaggy

and a target of 30 for November please

Don't seem to have a minute at the moment but managing to read the thread but not post.
  • Hi,

Calling in early today but 1/20 achieved for me for November
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    shaggydoo wrote: »
    To be honest my weight gain is probably to do with not enough exercise...I really enjoy exercise but sometimes my life gets so busy I can't fit it in. Seem to be back in the zone...for now...

It's very hard fitting it in sometimes but I feel so much better when I exercise that I see it as really important - good for you getting back in the zone tho Shaggydoo, as it's very easy to get out of it.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • 1/10 for me please. Glass of water on the go here with a slice of lime..
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
  • Paspatur
    Paspatur Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    1/24 for me please.
    Been so busy I never even thought about having a drink
    Been meaning to clear the loft since I retired over 2 years ago and never got round to it
    Cue lots of hangover free days and half of it is done
    My worst time for wanting a beer is between 5pm and 7pm and I was up to my eyes in messages and buyers turning up for stuff I sold on FB
    So no beer, half empty loft and £120 better off to boot!
    I'm liking this a lot!!
  • Please can I have a target of 22 for November please

1/24

The pre-christmas drinking culture is ramped up already. Got a few invites today so will need to try very hard.
    November is the worst point of the year for me.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Slowdown wrote: »
    7/8 for October please. I'm pleased with this as I only joined 8 days ago.

Trying to imagine my 20/30 for Nov. I'm feeling a bit daunted but I'm going to give it my best shot.

Aiming high, Slowdown, is always a great idea and as alcohol only has to be resisted one day at a time, it's do-able. You've already decided you can have a drink on 10 days in November, so as long as it's not 'today' it can be 'tomorrow' for at least 10 of the 30 days. Once you've racked up a few you'll feel so great you'll want to keep the momentum up - or, at least, that's the theory. I honestly believe in the 'not today; tomorrow maybe, but not today' mantra.
    maggiem wrote: »
    17/15 for October please - finally exceeded target for a month.

Well done, Maggiem! :T :T :T

Healing vibes for your ankle, CathyBird. I think a lot of people find that cutting down means that when they try to go back to drinking as much as they used to regularly their tolerance has dipped a bit. Not a bad thing for most of us, I'd hazard a guess.

As for chucking it away, to be honest, with tequila that's not a bad idea - it'd clean your pipes out! Red wine can be frozen in icecube trays for adding to gravies etc without any risk because it tastes vile once it's been frozen but works fine if then cooked. I've no idea what 'Midori' is, but it sounds a bit suss so I'd be inclined to chuck that down the sink and beer cans go out of date relatively quickly and have a use by date on them, surprisingly, so they can go too. But champagne, ooooooh, that would make a perfect Christmas present for someone, it really would, along with the rest of the bottles of wine. Getting rid of temptation is an excellent idea, and if OH weren't in my life I'd have given away all of our wine and never thought twice about it. Decluttering is much, much easier if you know that what you're chucking out is going somewhere the stuff will be appreciated.

Shaggy, I don't do 'exercise' per se, and am in the category of people who think it's for people who have a thing for pain. I'm pretty active in a busy sort of way and don't understand what 'light housework' is, apart from dusting. The rest of it is bl**dy hard work and this house is a bu**er to look after, so that and the addition of a black cat and a black dog, both of which shed a huge amount of fur - I get exercise whether I want it or not. I just need to cut my fat and sugar consumption because I am greedy and have over-indulged for months.

I went out to lunch today and had a mozarella panini and then went out to dinner and had pizza. I think I've blown No-sugar No-fat November and it's only the first of the month!

Paspatur, one of the glories of being sober is finally being able to get stuff done. I bet you feel fantastic about clearing half the loft and raking in the money. Glorious.

Hang on in there PSL. You can do this.

1/30 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • maggiem
    maggiem Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Thanks HB - quite chuffed. Like Maman it’s good to start racking up the days at the start of the month so 2/15 please - one for yesterday and declaring very early for today.

Good luck Paspatur - very impressed with loft clearing, it’s on my list but not got very high up! Having previously not been keen on lager or beer I have had some alcohol free recently which filled the gap for me before dinner. B*cks blue is on offer in Wa1trose at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure