Tax credits & benefits for people in work or looking for work

Comments

• Yes I work but my wage is only just covering debts and food, hubby pays other bills hence the panic!
    LBM 01/03/12 Debt £[STRIKE]27924[/STRIKE] :eek:
    now £0 100% paid :j :beer: :T
  • Yes I work but my wage is only just covering debts and food, hubby pays other bills hence the panic!

Input your figures into one of the benefits calculators, they will tell you if you are entitled to anything. Unless you live in an area with high rents, or you earn very little, don't expect it to be a great deal.
  • Hi folks[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Can I make a request that this thread is only used for people to ask a question and for the official CAB representative to reply.

It's great that so many want to try and help answer questions but we would like to keep the sticky threads as official as possible.

This doesn't apply to non sticky threads in the CAB board where any replies you are able to give are appreciated.

Thanks all
    *** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***
  • CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative
    Hi there,
    I am in £25K of debt and no assets and am 5 months into a self managed debt management plan with the help of National Debtline / Cashflow. My husband has just has an accident and is hospitalised and is told it will be 6 months before he can walk / work again. He was only three weeks into a new job! His new boss isn't communicating with us and we are panicking about money. If he manages to get S.S.P through work, can he get anything else like tax credits or incapacity benefit? We are scared that without his wage we may go bankrupt. We were struggling on his full wage!
    Many thanks

Hi Getmeoutofdebt,

Thank you for your enquiry.

In regards to claiming benefits with SSP, may we direct you to our factsheet on ‘Off work because of sickness’ which can be accessed through:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_time_off_work_e/off_work_because_of_sickness.htm#statutory_sick_pay

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) can be paid for up to 28 weeks. If your partner cannot get SSP, for example, because he does not earn enough (£107 p/w), or if the 28 week period comes to an end, his employer will provide him with a form SSP1. Your partner can then use form SSP1 to claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) from your local Jobcentre Plus.

(for further information on what ESA is and how to make a claim please click on:
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_sick_or_disabled_people_and_carers_ew/employment_and_support_allowance.htm )

Please note that as of 31st January 2011, you cannot make a new claim for Incapacity Benefit. You should make a claim for ESA instead.

WTC could be paid alongside SSP however it is dependant on various factors e.g. how many hours your partner worked and how long he is off work for. You can find further information on:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/keep-up-to-date/changes-affect/work-changes/no-work-illness.htm

Alternatively, you may wish to contact the tax credit helpline on 0345 300 3900

As mentioned in previous posts, benefits are calculated on household income so your earnings will also be taken in to account. It may be worth having a benefit check to see if you are eligible for any other benefits by contacting Turn2us:

Turn2us is an charity which provides information on benefits, benefit checks and grants.

Kind regards,

Birmingham CAB
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • gilligansyle
    gilligansyle Posts: 4,124 Forumite
    This is a question on behalf of my son aged 25 - he was laid off from his job in April last year and has been looking for work since then. He moved from contribution based JSA to income based JSA, and has had some casual work during this time (and has signed off on each occasion)
    He now has a chance to go to college in September on a retraining course and has been told that he won't get JSA because he's not available for full time work, although he would look for work that fitted around his course. He sees re-training as the only way he can get a job in the current climate.
    This presumably leaves him in a catch 22 situation, if he's in receipt of benefits, he doesn't pay course fees, but being on the course means he then has no income and can't get there. Would he be entitled to any other benefit? He lives at home, so has no rent etc. to pay, but I do not have the spare income to support him through college.
    Debts at LBM - Mortgages £128497 - non mortgage £27497 Debt now £[STRIKE]114150[/STRIKE][STRIKE]109032[/STRIKE] 64300 (mortgage) Credit cards left 0

"The days pass so fast, let's try to make each one better than the last"
    This is a question on behalf of my son aged 25 - he was laid off from his job in April last year and has been looking for work since then. He moved from contribution based JSA to income based JSA, and has had some casual work during this time (and has signed off on each occasion)
    He now has a chance to go to college in September on a retraining course and has been told that he won't get JSA because he's not available for full time work, although he would look for work that fitted around his course. He sees re-training as the only way he can get a job in the current climate.
    This presumably leaves him in a catch 22 situation, if he's in receipt of benefits, he doesn't pay course fees, but being on the course means he then has no income and can't get there. Would he be entitled to any other benefit? He lives at home, so has no rent etc. to pay, but I do not have the spare income to support him through college.

Dear Gilligansyle,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunatley, most full time students are unable to claim income related benefits unless they are single parents, have a disability or have a partner who is also a student.

It may be worth your son contacting the college directly to see if they offer any bursaries or financial support.

‘Discretionary Learner Support’ May also be another source of help. For further information on this, please click on the following directgov link:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/AdultLearning/FinancialHelpForAdultLearners/DG_10033131

You may also access further funding advice on the National Careers Service Website:

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/courses/funding/Pages/default.aspx

We hope you find this information useful.

Kind regards,
    Birmingham CAB
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Hi
    I was made redundant on 30 March 12 and submitted my Tax Credit claim, all was well and I have received my payments every week since then.
    I contacted the HMRC helpline today as I have not received my payment due last Friday. I was told that I was no longer entitled to TCs as my income last year was too high, which I don't dispute.
    However, my income for this tax year will be JSA(CB) for 6 months £1846 and my wife's annual earnings of £20,995 giving an annual income of £22,841.
    Given my income has reduced by more than £2,500 should I not be receiving TCs as I have already?
    many thanks
    Hotspur111 wrote: »
    Hi
    I was made redundant on 30 March 12 and submitted my Tax Credit claim, all was well and I have received my payments every week since then.
    I contacted the HMRC helpline today as I have not received my payment due last Friday. I was told that I was no longer entitled to TCs as my income last year was too high, which I don't dispute.
    However, my income for this tax year will be JSA(CB) for 6 months £1846 and my wife's annual earnings of £20,995 giving an annual income of £22,841.
    Given my income has reduced by more than £2,500 should I not be receiving TCs as I have already?
    many thanks

Dear Hotspur111,

HMRC should take in to account changes to your circumstances when calculating your entitlement. You stated that HMRC no longer believe you are eligible after you told them of the reduction in your income? If this is the case, you may request a written explanation for their decision. If their decision still remains the same you can appeal.

For further information on this please click on the following link headed ‘problems with benefits and tax credits’:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_benefits_introduction_ew/problems_with_benefits_and_tax_credits.htm#get_the_decision_looked_at_again

For the purposes of checking your entitlement to tax credits, you may wish to go through the tax credit calculator:

http://taxcredits.hmrc.gov.uk/Qualify/DIQHousehold.aspx

To check your entitlements to any other benefits you could contact Turn2us – a charity providing independent benefit advice on 0808 802 2000 / www.turn2us.org.uk.

Kind regards,

Birmingham CAB
  • Hi, my husband will shortly be made redundant after 8 years with company & will receive a decent payoff which may include some element for time in lieu.

He's not sure yet if he's going to 'actively seek work' straight away (due to wanting to sort out health issues first). In this case would he still be able to sign on for NI contributions benefits (ie without being available for work) nb he has approx 25 years worth on NI contributions. If so does this involve weekly/fortnightly signing on?

If he does look for work straight away would time in lieu payment invalidate any jobseekers allowance (contributions based) claim until that time period is up?

Many thanks
    divadeus1 wrote: »
    Hi, my husband will shortly be made redundant after 8 years with company & will receive a decent payoff which may include some element for time in lieu.

He's not sure yet if he's going to 'actively seek work' straight away (due to wanting to sort out health issues first). In this case would he still be able to sign on for NI contributions benefits (ie without being available for work) nb he has approx 25 years worth on NI contributions. If so does this involve weekly/fortnightly signing on?

If he does look for work straight away would time in lieu payment invalidate any jobseekers allowance (contributions based) claim until that time period is up?

Many thanks

Dear Divadeus1,

Contribution based JSA does not take into account savings your partner has however, he must have paid enough national insurance contributions over the last few years. If he has at least 25 years worth of contributions like you say, he most likely will eligible.

Contribution based JSA is paid weekly and will require your partner to sign on fortnightly. Contribution based JSA will only be paid for up to 6 months.

In order to receive JSA, your partner will have to show that he is available and actively seeking work. If your partner is ill then he may not be able to satisfy these conditions. Your partner may enquire in to applying for Employment and Support Allowance until he become available for work.

Your partner may not be able to claim JSA whilst he is receiving payment in lieu of notice. It is only after the payments come to an end will he be able to make a claim.

It may be best to clarify these issues with the JSA department who will be able to guide you further Tel:0808 802 2000.

You can also click on the following link for more detailed information:
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_benefits_in_work_or_looking_for_work_ew/benefits_for_people_looking_for_work.htm#problems_with_jobseekers_allowance

Kind regards,
    Birmingham CAB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure