Lack of credit history in later life

Options
Let’s say you are in your late fifties, and for a variety of reasons I won’t go into, you have a fairly low income, but a substantial capital reserve..... live in job-related accommodation, enabling you to let the house you own, which is mortgage-free..... have a spouse who organises the finances and is first-named on all joint things....have always paid whatever you have owed on time, but as time has gone by have had less and less need to borrow.

Then one day you attempt to access the HMRC website, and discover they are unable to verify your identity - despite having a passport and driving licence, and the fact that they know where to find you when they want to send you a tax form.

This is the position my husband finds himself in. I think it would be a good idea for him to reestablish an independent data presence in the world by applying for a credit card he doesn’t need and using it instead of the one on my account. Clear it every month, build a credit history etc.

Is that a good idea? Should he check his credit files first?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A card would be a great way for him to build history, as well as other reasons.

It would certainly be wise to check his three files as well.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Absolutely a good idea for a credit card. Given your position where it'll be cleared in full every month I would focus on getting one that gives cash back on purchases. Doesn't matter what the APR is because you won't be paying interest. Also use it for purchases of £100 or more to benefit from Section 75 protection.
  • LesLittle
    Options
    Other things to check/consider:
    - Is he on the electoral roll?
    - Does he have a consented current account (i.e. anything account opened after the mid/late 90's)?
    - Mobile phone contract - some of these report in to CRAs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport