Bank Account for New Born

Options
Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone can help me out here with a simple question, My wife gave birth to our son 4 weeks ago and he has been given money from grandparents (around £700), we're looking to set up a bank account for him that and we will pay regular amounts (£20-£50pm) into ontop of the £700, we wont need access to the money as it will be given to him when he is 18 (Well, probably sooner so he can understand the value of saving).

I've been looking on the page about Childrens Savings and have picked out the following two options that seem the best:

Halifax Regular saver (4.5% AER) allows amounts from £20 - £100 to be paid in each month
Santander 123 Mini current account (3% AER) Allows unlimited amounts to be paid in.

My dilemma is that with the Halifax account we could only pay £100 a month, whereas the Santander we could pay the full £700 and earn interest in it straight away on the full amount,.

Can anyone advise the account we will make the best interest on, or if anyone else has a better option.

Thanks a lot

Jonny

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you considered a JISA? Check over on the ISA Board
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lowermax wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone can help me out here with a simple question, My wife gave birth to our son 4 weeks ago and he has been given money from grandparents (around £700), we're looking to set up a bank account for him that and we will pay regular amounts (£20-£50pm) into ontop of the £700, we wont need access to the money as it will be given to him when he is 18 (Well, probably sooner so he can understand the value of saving).

I've been looking on the page about Childrens Savings and have picked out the following two options that seem the best:

Halifax Regular saver (4.5% AER) allows amounts from £20 - £100 to be paid in each month
    Santander 123 Mini current account (3% AER) Allows unlimited amounts to be paid in.

My dilemma is that with the Halifax account we could only pay £100 a month, whereas the Santander we could pay the full £700 and earn interest in it straight away on the full amount,.

Can anyone advise the account we will make the best interest on, or if anyone else has a better option.

Thanks a lot

Jonny

The kids regular saver is a year only account so you would have to open one each year and the money saved is moved out each year, which doesn't sound like it matches what you are looking for.

I would also have a look at a JISA as this allows you to fund it each year and on 18 the money in the account is the child's, this only downfall to this is the child gets the money at 18 regardless of their financial understanding and could end up being frivolous with it.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • GunShotResidue
    Options
    We have a Halifax Kids Regular Saver, it renews automatically each year, and the previous years funds are automatically moved into your nominated account, so you don't actually have to do anything.

I would put the £700 in either the Santander account or the Halifax JISA (which is also 3% at the minute). Then set up the regular saver for the £20-50pm you want to save and ask to have it moved into the account with the £700 in at the end of the year (ours moves into the Halifax young saver but I presume you can nominate any account).
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    if you are saving for 18 years then you need exposure to the stock matket not savings accounts
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Lowermax wrote: »

Well, why not both accounts? Halifax Reg Saver as the "interest generation" account, and the resulting capital plus interest dumped into a more long term option on maturity each year. The Mini 123 can be either an "overflow" or "feeder" account as you see fit (in Year 2 onwards you can cycle the same cash back through the regular saver, up to the £100pcm limit). The name of the game is maximising the sum of money in the highest interest paying account, any extra goes in the next-highest account, and so on.

As others have mentioned the real long-term gains will be found by investing in a Junior Stocks and Shares ISA, which will accommodate just over £4000 of junior's money each year. However you indicated you'd like to be able to withdraw some cash before 18 to get your child accustomed to saving and budgeting, which I think is a great idea too. So, split your monthly savings between cash and stocks in whatever ratio you feel comfortable with; maybe £20 cash to every £30 stocks as a suggestion.

My own opinion is that you wouldn't keep all of your own wealth in just stocks, or just fixed term accounts, or just in instant access savings, so why do we save that way for our children? We want the same for them as we do for ourselves: long term growth, instant access for emergencies, plus a degree of certainty which you gain by holding cash. So, consider things like kid's regular savers, kids instant access savings, cash JISAs, stocks JISAs, Premium Bonds (a controlling adult can buy for a child or grandchild), and children's cash bonds once the the interest rate raises up to something that's worth a damn. Essentially, I think creating a basic portfolio for your child is a good idea. Others may think differently and I'm sure they'll make themselves heard presently!

Congratulations on the new arrival.
    : )
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Over 18 years a S&S JISA will probably do better than cash. My two have one with Cavendish.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As per suggestions above; take your time while you consider stocks & shares options (he'll thank you for that in 18 years time).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure