PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

neighbours light fitting fallen-blaming son

13»

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Karma; a wonderful thing when it bites your enemies' bums.
  • baldelectrician
    baldelectrician Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you get another response you should point out that light fittings should be adequately secured to the building- as this fell down it was not and therefore not adequately installed and the problem of the landlord as he is liable for his fixtures and fittings.
    baldly going on...
  • mchale
    mchale Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    shortcrust wrote: »
    If your son wants to crowdfund a laminate floor and big pair of boots I'll definitely chip in.:)

Might not be a good idea:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/05/noisy-neighbours-must-pay-banker-100000-compensation-floors/
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Yes... Since artful mentioned it in #9. "Brace yourself, Rodney". :rotfl:
    Damn, missed that - beat me to it :rotfl:Ta!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Damn, missed that - beat me to it :rotfl:Ta!

It only goes to show that great minds think alike, hazyjo. :)
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    charb56 wrote: »
    he is worried he will have to get a lawyer in and just feels completely out of his depth on this when he has done nothing wrong

No need for a lawyer!
    1) currently there is no claim, wait until there's a claim filed through a court, or atleast a Letter Before Action

2) If anything, this would be a Small Claims issue, where no lawyers are needed. Son would simply state his position (ie 'I've done nothing differently') and respond logically to any 'evidence' the claimant presented (probably as being irrelevant)

3) The claimant needs SOME evidence to be successful, currently it's just words.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If it helps I had a cheap metal light fighting literally shatter in my hands when I was screwing in a bayonet fitting. It had three bulb fittings, and the darn thing just shattered. It was very old and cheap. I just replaced it with a standard fitting but it was in the property I was renting obviously.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Also tell your son to stop worrying about lawyers.

I can literally get a solicitor to write anything I like for around £100. Doesn't mean it has any legal standing. (you'll know when the letter contains phrases such as "My client claims, My client insists, My client is seeking")
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Comms69 wrote: »
    (you'll know when the letter contains phrases such as "My client claims, My client insists, My client is seeking")

Roughly translated as "my client is an idiot but as he won't listen to me I'll happy to keep taking his money for a while longer."
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    elsien wrote: »
    Roughly translated as "my client is an idiot but as he won't listen to me I'll happy to keep taking his money for a while longer."
    Pretty much exactly that.

Wording is everything
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family