The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• I managed to have pancakes today, and was so chuffed with myself.
    I didn't have any eggs, nor enough milk, so I tried bicarb in the flour and whey protein for the protein from the egg white, with water instead of milk. Worked a treat, lovely fluffy pancakes, much lighter than my usual flat crepes made with plain flour. Doing that again. I'd steeled myself for 'Oh they won't be as good, but at least it will be a pancake', and dang me, they were better.
    Apparently aqua faba makes great meringues as well. I don't eat a lot of eggs, but I do make pancakes a lot, not just on Shrove Tuesday. They are a regular Saturday morning treat - that's what my last, way out of date egg was used up on, on Saturday morning.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If there is one thing in my life I can guarantee it is that my DS will eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday. The mix makes 6ish & he eats 5 & I have the dogends. 50/50 milk/water is totally acceptable & as for eggs well that's a best before date surely & not a use by date. Sssshhh don't tell DS. Some use by/best before dates I "remove" before he can see them as he can be a little ******** about them.
  • badmemory wrote: »
    as for eggs well that's a best before date surely & not a use by date. Sssshhh don't tell DS. Some use by/best before dates I "remove" before he can see them as he can be a little ******** about them.

Whilst I totally agree with you about being 'sensible' about best before dates, I'm not so sure that alot of the eggs - from the type of places that I buy them from - are as 'farm fresh' as they once were. I had my first ever really bad egg last year - I'm talking greeny black inside _pale_ and that was in date and from the high street shop with all the food-alls........ albeit in their 'economy' range. The fact that eggs burst when boiling, indicates that they have 'air' in them - eggs get more air in them the older they are. I've had eggs burst on the day I've bought them - which indicates that they have been 'somewhere' for a length of time before coming home in my shopping basket. That is also why I refuse to buy eggs covered in chicken $hyt3, as egg shells are pourous and things can - potentially - be absorbed into the egg. Which is why all these top chefs put a truffle in their egg cartons.

So yes, I agree, just because an egg is 'past' some notional date, there is no need to ditch it, but I always, now, proceed with greater caution.

We deposited our food bank donation in the box today - there was room :j

I did have a chuckle to myself this morning on seeing someone I know shopping in mrAl. There is nowt wrong with mrAl - and to give this person due credit, many moons ago, they shopped at mrAl, when it was very much a 'discount' store - the items weren't individually priced, the stock was stacked cheek by jowl and the till assistants had to remember the price of all the stock by memory! So, you could have knocked me over with a feather when a few years later, we were discussing 'discounters' and they huffily and puffily claimed to be a 'mrS' shopper, through and through, claimed not to have set foot in a mrAl store and made me feel very small by some additional comments, denegrating my choice of retailer......... Fast forward to today, and they are in mrAl, filling their shopping trolley like there's gonna be snowstorm :rotfl: Seriously it doesn't bother me where folks shop - but why lie? :huh: I hope they have just seen the :money:light and not that their circumstances have changed, adversely, in any way......... I did, however, not bother to engage them in conversation - I think those days have passed.

I've no idea what to make for tea, as DH needs to be collected, and I've no time to make anything now (plans altered). Just took time out to look in the freezer - cottage pie it is, and I'll do veg to accompany :D

Right best vamoose. BG is napping - after being awake and a livewire all day - and I need to make headway.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    So yes, I agree, just because an egg is 'past' some notional date, there is no need to ditch it, but I always, now, proceed with greater caution.

More for the general audience, but if you're uncertain (or even if certain) about eggs, put them in water. If they float, they can float into the bin, and if they sink like a rock, then they're very fresh.

If they're chirping, then the supply chain is a touch too long.
    I did have a chuckle to myself this morning on seeing someone I know shopping in mrAl. There is nowt wrong with mrAl - and to give this person due credit, many moons ago, they shopped at mrAl, when it was very much a 'discount' store - the items weren't individually priced, the stock was stacked cheek by jowl and the till assistants had to remember the price of all the stock by memory! So, you could have knocked me over with a feather when a few years later, we were discussing 'discounters' and they huffily and puffily claimed to be a 'mrS' shopper, through and through, claimed not to have set foot in a mrAl store and made me feel very small by some additional comments, denegrating my choice of retailer......... Fast forward to today, and they are in mrAl, filling their shopping trolley like there's gonna be snowstorm :rotfl: Seriously it doesn't bother me where folks shop - but why lie? :huh: I hope they have just seen the :money:light and not that their circumstances have changed, adversely, in any way......... I did, however, not bother to engage them in conversation - I think those days have passed.

The days of satisfying your own curiosity have passed? :eek:

You could have got a light from the hardware bit to shine in their face during the interrogation...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm proud to shop at discount stores and buy non-branded items. I think we live in a culture though where it's emphasised to people that branded must be good and cheap must be nasty. I guess that's how these places make their money though :o
  • Good Morning :hello:

We've a trip out today to look forward to :j We're gunna go and see some snowdrops :D hook up with a friend and dine out at a very reasonably priced local FE college cafeteria. Today will be a low-cost spend, rather than a no-cost.

I need to contact another friend and sort out a lunchdate, which has been disrupted due to snotfactors (ours, not theirs :D)

I need to do my meal-plan for the next week, as I haven't done it, and have no clue what is 'for us tea'. It can't be anything complicated, as I'm out for a large chunk of the day, and may yet have to do further running around.

Tea last night was l/o cottage pie, broccoli and green beans with mrAl onion gravy. I couldn't be bothered to go to mrT to get veggie gravy granules and mrAl don't do them. The gravy was ok - I'm not terribly convinced it 'oozed' of onion flavour, but it was perfectly edible. I wouldn't rush to buy it again, but will certainly finish up the container I have bought, and would buy it if I needed to in the future.

I hear in the news that 'ultra-processed' foods are now in the firing line for causing cancer, and with middle-aged women being most at risk. A good time to be giving my diet an overhaul I think.

My alcohol-free lent is going well :D <---- smug. But that's no biggie, as we rarely drink alcohol midweek anyway, so I've achieved nowt! :D i see mwc is really biting the bullet and giving up chocolate too! Respect :T I like to think that I eat very little chocolate anyway, and only 'need' it at a certain point in any month. However, i realised that I mindlessly ate a chocolate biscuit and a kitty katty yesterday, so that clearly isn't true! :rotfl:

Right, best shift a tail feather.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Have a grand day :D
    :A
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Lilith1980 wrote: »
    I'm proud to shop at discount stores and buy non-branded items. I think we live in a culture though where it's emphasised to people that branded must be good and cheap must be nasty. I guess that's how these places make their money though :o

Originally, branding really kicked off in the Victoria era where food adulteration was a real problem. Branded foods were a "guarantee" that what you were eating, is what it said you were eating.

Fast forward to today, and you have the problem of brands running into financial difficulties and being bought (either the whole company or just the right to use the name).

Venture capitalists come in, cut costs to the bone, and make a lot of profit. If you're selling kinder eggs at kinder costs, but faberge prices - you will make a lot of money, and share prices will rise stratospherically. Eventually people get wise, and the companies can only sell them for kinder prices, but the venture capitalists have long gone at that point.

Many brands are indeed worth it, but you do need to trawl through a lot of reviews/have your own harsh experience to know.
    I hear in the news that 'ultra-processed' foods are now in the firing line for causing cancer, and with middle-aged women being most at risk. A good time to be giving my diet an overhaul I think.

Even reading the BBC report on the study, it's plainly obvious it's junk. A "we got headlines, so give us money for a follow-up study" kind of report.

You'd get more 'skillful' recommendations from a torn tea bag.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    On the gravy front, Bisto beef gravy is veggie and vegan friendly it might not be to your taste but my local Mr Al had it for 69p a couple of weeks ago so we stocked up. I'm used to it as it's the gravy my Mum used when we were growing up (well, the Mr T version which at the time was just bisto rebranded!!)

Have a lovely day, the sun is SHINING. Congrats on no alcohol, I don't drink at all and after about a month I stopped noticing the lack of gin fuelling my weeks! xx
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    ZTD wrote: »
    Even reading the BBC report on the study, it's plainly obvious it's junk. A "we got headlines, so give us money for a follow-up study" kind of report.

You'd get more 'skillful' recommendations from a torn tea bag.
    Processed meat causing cancer regularly hits the headlines. Moderation...

This time they focused on higher consumption of fizzy drinks and ready meals causing the cancer. Rather than the glaringly obvious 'the lifestyles associated with very high consumption of fizzy drinks and ready meals.'
    Moderation...

My mum had one of the healthiest lifestyles of anyone I've ever met, my dad not so healthy, to put it mildly. Mum died six years before Dad did, both of cancer. Scare stories do nothing much for anybody,
    Although if a few more people switch from sugar laden fizzy drinks to water or milk, and make a pan of soup instead of having a Big Mac, that's not a bad thing,
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure