Student daughter & boyfriend whats fair to ask in housekeeping?

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Lokolo wrote: »
    The student maintenance loan is for expenses, for living. So she should either be putting that towards rent, or not taking it. £30 a week is way too little if she is getting a student loan. Triple it at a minimum.
    She's in Sixth form currently and will sit A levels next summer. She's not in receipt of a student loan. Her parents might be in receipt of child related benefits for her (depending on their household income)
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    74jax wrote: »
    Why wouldn't she take it? It doesn't matter what is used for surely?

It's not a terribly good idea to borrow money just so you can have more to spend on entertainment.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The student maintenance loan is for expenses, for living. So she should either be putting that towards rent, or not taking it. £30 a week is way too little if she is getting a student loan. Triple it at a minimum.

Blimey...would you really triple it knowing it was loaned money?

Glad your not my Mother....
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Spendless wrote: »
    She's in Sixth form currently and will sit A levels next summer. She's not in receipt of a student loan. Her parents might be in receipt of child related benefits for her (depending on their household income)

Do parents really charge their kids rent when they are in sixth form? Only 4 years since my youngest finished 6th form, but I didn't know any parent who did.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • System
    silvercar wrote: »
    Do parents really charge their kids rent when they are in sixth form? Only 4 years since my youngest finished 6th form, but I didn't know any parent who did.

No nor me. Ours paid board when they were settled in full time employment. We 'carried' them in between.
  • Discuss with your daughter so that she can convey it to him rather than you doing it.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Those living at home get a much smaller loan.

It says in the OP how much the DD will be getting - around £6k, although that figure seems way too high imo.
    Judi wrote: »
    Blimey...would you really triple it knowing it was loaned money?

Glad your not my Mother....

Yes, it doesn't make it worthwhile taking the loan if you aren't planning on using it for your living expenses, as thats what it's there for. You'd honestly just let your DS or DD take out a £5k maintenance loan then splash it out?

I am also glad I am not your mother, the operation would be painful.
    Spendless wrote: »

My post was quite clear that it was about when she goes to university and is planning on living at home. Should be pretty clear given the OP mentions about her going to uni, receiving student loan and at this point is where the parents stop getting CB.

---

There is a difference between now, when shes in Year 13, and when she goes to university. I agree with others in that you shouldn't charge her whilst she is doing A Levels and you have CB.

However, when this stops and she attends university, receiving maintenance loan and grant (you may want to re-check the calculator) she should either be saving it (do not recommend in the current rules), use it for maintenance (living, bills etc. like any other adult) or not take it. £30 to live at home whilst in receipt of student loans is a mickey take.
  • System
    I am also glad I am not your mother, the operation would be painful.

On both sides i can assure you.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2016 at 1:45PM
    You'd honestly just let your DS or DD take out a £5k maintenance loan then splash it out?
    I really don't see the problem with that, it's a loan she's entitled to so why shouldn't she take it? I'm not being snarky - I genuinely don't understand why it would be a problem?

Edit: we can't assumer the daughter will 'splash it out', we have no idea what she will use the money for.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I really don't see the problem with that, it's a loan she's entitled to so why shouldn't she take it?

She will have to pay it back (in theory) with interest being charged on the loan from the start. If she earns sufficient she will be paying it back for a long time.

A lot of people would not want their offspring to take out a loan to give their parents money. A way of supporting your offspring in their studies would be to not charge them to live in your home while they do so.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure