PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Guarantee of newly fitted kitchen and bathroom

We are in the process of purchasing a flat which has a new kitchen and bathrooms fitted which is reflected in the price of our accepted offer.

What protection/guarantee do we have in regards to this if it started to fall apart stop working etc?

Any advise on sources that may help in this query would be greatly appreciated.

We want to find out that if things were to go wrong if there is any sort of come back on the vendor or it will just be our responsibilty.

Thank you for any advise

Comments

• Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We had a B&Q kitchen fitted in the house we sold and it had a guarantee which I believe transferred to the new owners when we sold it. If they have used a similar business there will be a written guarantee I would guess.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would expect any appliances to come with a guarantee, but it would be unusual for a guarantee to be provided for the work that has been carried out.

It is up to you as the purchaser to satisfy yourself that the installation has been carried out to an acceptable standard.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    AmyAlex wrote: »
    What protection/guarantee do we have in regards to this if it started to fall apart stop working etc?

In general, you have no guarantee about the condition of anything. That's why many people ask a surveyor (and/or other professionals) to report on the condition of the property.

You can ask the seller if the kitchen/bathroom came with any transferable guarantee.

If they did, read the terms of the guarantee to see if it's any good, and make a judgement on the trustworthiness of the company making the guarantee. (For example, if the company goes bust, the guarantee is likely to be worthless.)

But I wouldn't get too hung up about this.
  • Chanes
    Surrey_EA wrote: »
    I would expect any appliances to come with a guarantee, but it would be unusual for a guarantee to be provided for the work that has been carried out.

It is up to you as the purchaser to satisfy yourself that the installation has been carried out to an acceptable standard.

B&Q guarantee the works for 5 years.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Chanes wrote: »
    B&Q guarantee the works for 5 years.

Which is fine if B & Q were responsible for the work in the property the OP wishes to buy.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AmyAlex wrote: »

Realistically though, what are the chances of this actually happening? How many kitchens or bathrooms have you had that have suddenly and without warning blown up, fallen apart, ceased working?

If you're worried about it, I suggest you also take out alien abduction insurance, as that might happen too.....
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2016 at 11:58AM
  • Chanes
    Surrey_EA wrote: »
    Which is fine if B & Q were responsible for the work in the property the OP wishes to buy.

I am just pointing out it is not unusual, as you said. I think they are the biggest kitchen fitters in the country. I am jealous of those folks who can do all that kind of thing; they don't have to rely on guarantees at all and must save themselves thousands!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure