Mooloo's little tapestry of life, 2016

Options

Comments

• Brighton_belle
    Options
    Your reasoning does make good sense mooloo: though for general advice to any other readers, I would add that de-clutters can be about the gentle approach, but of course, the slower the pace the client needs, the more time it can take to achieve clear space.
    Often the belief that 'I could sell that' totally stagnates the de-cluttering progress to the point of paralysis. It can come under 'magical thinking' and be totally unrealistic - the same pile of stuff is still there unsold 2 years later (and the rest).
    Sometimes the freedom of the stress of having a home that is overwhelming can be worth the £200 you might make selling stuff.
    But it sounds like you know yourself well mooloo and do gradually sell and clear things and a declutterer would not suit you at present.
    One secret is of course to de-cluttering, most especially if you find it difficult to get stuff out of the house again, is be very very careful what you bring into the house in the first place.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    As a child we moved all the time, and were only allowed to keep a few things. Then when I married I think I started keeping things. Although I always had to have a clear out every time I moved.
    Baring in mind this is my 40th home. The problem is that I have not moved in nearly 6 years and therefore not had that three week blitz before the move!
    Brighton Belle, your probably right that stuff will still be waiting to be sold two years later!
    But I know my limits at the moment, and I'm just really beginning to realise that I'm not going to be moving any time soon, and that I now need to make this place my home, rather than just a house we have to live in.
    I haven't ever liked this house, so it's never really had any love put into it.
    Now I'm trying to find that love, and make it better as I'm not going to be leaving here in a long time.
    Unless my dream builds enough funds to buy that home by the sea somewhere, which probably won't be until at least retirement, some 12 years down the road.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,142 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mooloo - for any clutter that is saleable, could you advertise it in the shop? If you have a 'for sale' notice board that other people can also use it would encourage footfall, and fits with the upcycling ethos of the work you do.

It's also worth offering stuff on freegle, even if it is something dead for 'spares or repair' before you take it to the tip - it's amazing what people will take, and upcycling is very popular now. You never know - someone might want to make your TV into an artwork :D
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Mooloo - for any clutter that is saleable, could you advertise it in the shop? If you have a 'for sale' notice board that other people can also use it would encourage footfall, and fits with the upcycling ethos of the work you do.

It's also worth offering stuff on freegle, even if it is something dead for 'spares or repair' before you take it to the tip - it's amazing what people will take, and upcycling is very popular now. You never know - someone might want to make your TV into an artwork :D

That may work. I'll have to have a think where I can put one.
    The tv has now been out in the rain, so it's carcus might work as its Spider-Man tv.
    I'll find the freebie sight of nothing else. Giving it away would be easier then throwing things. I do like to give.

I'm in bed now, electric blanket is on, not because it's cold but because my skin is crawling, and my back aches X
    Night people x
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    edited 3 October 2016 at 10:14PM
    Options
    I'm awake, got my cup of tea, and the second alarm has just gone.
    I've checked my very depleted bank accounts, and now I must concentrate on spending less and earning more to rebuild them. My Mum has been sewing her little heart out, and has created some great little bags, pouches, and aprons etc to sell in aid of the Maculor Society. I'm just waiting for the paperwork to arrive before we can put them in the shop.
    I think I will provide her with some of my fabric hordes so she doesn't keep buying more. Sewing has certainly got her busy and motivated.

I'm still not right. So I may come home early after all. But I'm aware that staff has done 11 hours of overtime this week, and I have practically emptied the business current account after paying the rent etc. We have had so little work in this last fortnight since the curtains (£1,000), cancelled.
    I must not worry. The thoughts I'm trying to keep are the positive ones, that this lull has allowed me to take care of DGD, and now to look after myself, at home. Ready to feel better, and tackle the increased load of work that will be coming in as the weather starts to change. This is the time where the coats usually get brought in for new zips, and the winter weight things are dug out only to find they need some TLC.
    Meanwhile, I'm going to give myself some TLC and take it as easy as I can with a full on week ahead.
    Time to wake DGD for school.
    She has a busy day.
    Swimming first thing, then after school a birthday tea, and Brownies.
    Tomorrow she is 9 and her Mummy is coming up for the day. We're all having a birthday tea at the local pub.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    I tried to slow myself down but it didn't really work.
    I drove to school then to work. Meant to arrive early but ended up chatting to someone in the street and it was 9.25 when I finally went into the shop!
    I had a look around at what was in, and started on the things that had been there the longest. Interrupted a few times, one lady has ordered a sewing machine, they are out of stock but delivery is expected soon.
    Sold £1 of ribbon and had a £10 collection. Not much. Staff came in later, at 11.30 so I could leave earlier, but it was about 3.15 when I went up to our mini pound shop, for candles, birthday hats, paper, cards etc
    When I got back to the shop it was 3.50 and so I left to get DGD from afterschool club. Home, changed, and she was off to a birthday party. I had a reheated dinner as I realised I'd missed lunch.
    Did a little housework and collected DGD again. Back home, changed for Brownies, and back out again. Home, collected the car and over to my Mum, said hello to my brother as he was chatting to Mum on Skype, collected a few more things Mum had sewn, and over to Biggest of Mooloo's with some dishes and bits and pieces for her, and back in time just, to leave the car and go and get DGD as she'd gone to Brownies on her bike.
    Home, snack, cuppa, and then when DGD went to bed, present wrapping time and then I came to bed.
    Did an Approved Food order, to help us all stretch our budget, and now I can relax and get some sleep.
    Twin 2 rang today, concerned about DGD. Twin 1 has told her that it was her BFs sister that called Social Services in August, so I was right, retaliation for my refusing Christmas!
    Twin1 is coming up tomorrow for DGDs birthday, but not stopping. Apparently the BFs Dad is driving them up as their car is off the road.
    So all that moving beds and furniture etc etc was all for nothing!
    Oh well
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Morning from a bleary eyed Moo!
    I didn't sleep very well and when I did I woke early. DGD went off to school on her new stunt scooter, so I had an energetic walk to school trying to keep up.
    Biggest and her kids Face Timed DGD and sang to her. The tradition is to take sweets into school so I took a tin sweet shop sweets and hope there is enough for the class. Told the teacher DGDs Mum is collecting her today rather than the after school club, and he told me he was really pleased with her English work she did yesterday, and that she wrote a page and a half, with all the right paragraphs and punctuation! Yeah. She loths writing.
    I'm at work now waiting for the first of three people booked in for fittings, they are now 20 minutes late and the 2nd one is due in in 10 minutes.
    I hope it's not going to be a chase my tail day!!
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Yesterday evening my friends dog decided to take a dislike to me and bit me on the thumb. So I am now sitting in the health centre waiting to see someone to see if I need a tetnus or antibiotics!
    The second problem is that I am struggling to do much with my thumb as it is. Going to be awkward trying to sew the way it is. Good job I have until tomorrow as the shop is shut today.
  • Savvy_sewing
    edited 5 October 2016 at 10:44AM
    Options
    I've had a Tetnus and I'm back home now.
    I am finding it difficult to do things so I'm hoping I can just relax at home today. Spoken to Mum on Skype and she's ok, doesn't need anything.
    DS hasn't replied to my message so have no idea if he needs shopping or not. I shall not go over unless he does. I only need bread so I could actually just make a loaf here at home as I have enough ingredients.
    So I think a relaxing day until the Circus tonight.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    For once I did just relax at home, in fact I had a couple of hours sleep before lunch. Then I watched some DIY programme before walking to school to collect the girls. At 5.30 we went back to watch the Circus. It was quite good, but I was so cold. It also went on for two hours. So by the time we got home it was 8.30. My neighbour had bought Pizza for tea, so gave DGD and myself some for our supper. Zapped in the microwave. Having seen the various habits etc of her and her kids, I can safely say I now know why she's broke at the end of the month. 3 large pizzas delivered from a certain pizza place, costs would probably feed them for 4/5 days!
    So when we do her budget soon, I think meal planning will need to be high on the agenda!
    The only time I have ever bought pizza for delivery was during a house move when we did all the moving and it was too late to plumb in a cooker.
    I'd rather buy three in the supermarket and do them myself.

Today is back to work, sore thumb or not! I have fittings booked in at 10.30 and a sewing lesson at 10.45 ( had to cancel last week when we were ill).
    This evening is my class at 7.30 too.
    Long day then.
    Must get something out of the freezer this morning. Probably chicken based as I still have loads from Muscle Foods.
    I have a lot of seeing that needs doing as it came in on Tuesday afternoon.
    Here's to a nice steady day, and no complications.
    DS did finally message me, they were OK for shopping. So the stuff I bought the previous two weeks is still doing them. Which is good.
    He said the sitting room and kitchen were all done now, and they were tackling the upstairs.
    My things are still to be tackled, but the majority of the recycle able stuff went to the tip yesterday. My staff and her husband took it for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure