Best donor account to open first?

2»

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    fuzzgun19 wrote: »
    He uses then as 'pots' to save for various things he wants to keep separate.
    He has 2 Flexaccounts, 1 Flexdirect, and one other is a joint account with his wife, does the joint count as the fourth?
    I maintain there is no reason for having more than max 2 Nationwide current accounts, even for "potters". Aside from missing out on benefits such as interest or a switching bonus, it's a good idea anyway to spread your money across more than one financial institution.
  • bioboybill
    bioboybill Posts: 3,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Their prior lack of switching bonuses obviously has nothing to do with how easy and quick they are at opening accounts.

Barclays will open an account immediately, if accepted, and give you access to your online account straight away (with sort code and account number). The application progress is very quick.
    You're not kidding. I opened one just after 6 this morning. ID checked online and account open with sort code and account number in 5 minutes. Totally different to Nat West!
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    bioboybill wrote: »
    You're not kidding. I opened one just after 6 this morning. ID checked online and account open with sort code and account number in 5 minutes. Totally different to Nat West!

Hmmmm

However, Barclays are not offering £125 ;)
  • fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    colsten wrote: »
    I maintain there is no reason for having more than max 2 Nationwide current accounts, even for "potters". Aside from missing out on benefits such as interest or a switching bonus, it's a good idea anyway to spread your money across more than one financial institution.
    In your opinion.....
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • bioboybill
    bioboybill Posts: 3,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    badger09 wrote: »
    Hmmmm

I know, but I can switch to Halifax from Barclays now. :-)
  • I do NOT recommend opening up with Santander.

Painfully slow.... Once I received my debit card, I had to separately request details for online banking... I finally got that set up last night, switched direct debits for M&S account switch + transferred money in.

I then refreshed the online page to check the balances had all been updated... and i've helpfully been locked out of my Santander account. :rotfl:
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    badger09 wrote: »
    Hmmmm

Very true, but the account opening process is not made cumbersome and disorganised by the presence of a switching bonus!
  • ValiantSon
    I do NOT recommend opening up with Santander.

Painfully slow.... Once I received my debit card, I had to separately request details for online banking... I finally got that set up last night, switched direct debits for M&S account switch + transferred money in.

I then refreshed the online page to check the balances had all been updated... and i've helpfully been locked out of my Santander account. :rotfl:

I don't remember it being especially difficult when I opened a 123 account some years ago, but it wasn't as swift as Barclays. Get instant opening with Santander now because I am already a customer.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I do NOT recommend opening up with Santander.

I've never had any problems with Santander, they're probably one of the easiest banks to deal with in my experience.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • ValiantSon
    I've never had any problems with Santander, they're probably one of the easiest banks to deal with in my experience.

Customer service has been excellent (I hope I don't regret saying this) , they are fast, efficient and I earn interest on the account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure