PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Domestic abuse - Need to end tenancy early?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    tara747 wrote: »
    This! ..................
    NeilCr wrote: »
    This. Absolutely this.

Contact the Police. And Womens Aid or your local DV support organisation.

I agree, except the OP didn't say: he pushed me, he grabbed me, he this or that. Which are what would certainly spring to mind,

She said: He keeps threatening on an almost daily basis that he’s going to move away to his parents (half way across the country) and not come back

So whilst I agree contacting women's aid and shelter are good ideas and should be done. The police may not be the most appropriate response at this time. If the OP keeps the child, she will have some form of relationship with the father. I'd suggest safety first, police second (unless health is in immediate danger)
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Hello, please help.
    since we’ve moved in my partner has been very abusive towards me emotionally and physically and it’s getting unbearable.
    :(

From the OP.

I think the police are very much the place to go -as opposed to the landlord
  • jayII
    jayII Posts: 40,693 Forumite
    Hello, please help.
    I am 13 weeks pregnant and 4 weeks ago me and my partner started renting a house together. We signed a 12 month tenancy agreement as joint tenants, since we’ve moved in my partner has been very abusive towards me emotionally and physically and it’s getting unbearable.
    Comms69 wrote: »
    I agree, except the OP didn't say: he pushed me, he grabbed me, he this or that. Which are what would certainly spring to mind,

She said: He keeps threatening on an almost daily basis that he’s going to move away to his parents (half way across the country) and not come back

So whilst I agree contacting women's aid and shelter are good ideas and should be done. The police may not be the most appropriate response at this time. If the OP keeps the child, she will have some form of relationship with the father. I'd suggest safety first, police second (unless health is in immediate danger)

She said he has been physically abusive. That is very concerning, particularly when she is pregnant as this makes her even more vulnerable to physical injury.
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Fighting the biggest battle of my life. :( Started 30th January 2018.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    I'm not sure the landlord can agree to an early surrender with just one of the joint tenants
    you are right. Both/all tennts must agree.
    but don't quote me on that. I know that legally speaking joint tenants are a single legal entity but I wonder if the partner could claim that he had been illegally evicted, assuming he doesn't want to cooperate with an early surrender.
    Yes, he could.

I think it's something the OP ought to check with Shelter.
    In a fixed term, agreeing an early Surrender requires consent by all parties involved.

In a periodic tenancy, notice served by one joint tenant, binds all joint tenants.
  • Comms69
    From the OP.

I think the police are very much the place to go -as opposed to the landlord
    jayII wrote: »
    She said he has been physically abusive. That is very concerning, particularly when she is pregnant as this makes her even more vulnerable to physical injury.

The police can only prevent immediate violence, or prosecute previous violence. They aren't social services or DWP.

Yes the OP said there was physical abuse and yes that should be punished. But that can happen afterwards.

The reality is, if she calls the police, he'll most likely be arrested and bailed to not live there. Which is what the OP wants to avoid at the minute

(being 13 weeks pregnant is in reality not very different to not being at all pregnant, in terms of physical capacity)
  • NeilCr

The reality is, if she calls the police, he'll most likely be arrested and bailed to not live there. Which is what the OP wants to avoid at the minute.)

Actually, I would have thought what the OP wants to avoid at the minute is the continuation of the abuse which she said is getting unbearable.

If she does not call the police (and I still think she should) she needs to find a place of safety, immediately.
  • Comms69
    Actually, I would have thought what the OP wants to avoid at the minute is the continuation of the abuse which she said is getting unbearable.

If she does not call the police (and I still think she should) she needs to find a place of safety, immediately.

I agree, but she said he kept threatening to leave- suggesting it’s not what she wants.

I suppose we’ll know when OP returns.

The police don’t stop abuse. They put it on a time out.
  • NeilCr
    They put it on a time out.

Which is rather a good starting point.
  • l0islane
    l0islane Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Coercive control is a crime, there doesn't have to have been physical violence for the police to become involved. That being said the response of police to domestic abuse varies considerably and I would not rely on them solely to ensure your safety. Please contact the Women's Aid helpline they will talk through the details of your situation and help you form a safety plan. Abuse often escalates during pregnancy and immediately before and after attempts to leave so this is a particularly dangerous time. There are other housing options - a refuge is one option. In some situations of domestic abuse the law allows you to claim housing benefit on two properties for a temporary period in order to sort out these kinds of difficulties.

The Rights of Women website offers good fact-sheets about housing and domestic abuse (I can't post links):

rightsofwomen.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/guide-to-domestic-violence-housing-and-homelessness.pdf[/url]

I work in the DV sector, please contact the Women's Aid helpline, they will listen to you, believe you, discuss your options and help you form a plan.

0808 2000 247
  • Comms69
    Which is rather a good starting point.
    Honestly I'm not disputing it, it's just not what came across from the OP.

I have no vested interest, abusers should be punished, but victims should be listened to, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure