Online fixed saver electricity deal direct debit increase

Hi

I switched from Npower to Scottish Power based on my energy details here and it was a considerable saving to switch to a fixed saver tariff until March 2018. Now 6 months in Scottish Power instead of taking the usual £77 by direct debit have just taken £121 out for September and I've just had a letter saying they will be taking £161.75 in October.

They say they can put up the direct debit if I use more energy, well I haven't and I don't understand this at all because when I signed up for it I put my readings for the whole year into the calculator and it came out as £77 a month, so they knew what my average yearly use is.

Can anyone advise me please because this is now going to work out more expensive than Npower

Teresa

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 2 October 2017 at 6:43PM
    Have you been sending them monthly meter readings and checking your bills or statements to make sure that they reflect your consumption and that they havent been estimating your consumption.

Never accept an estimated bill, get it corrected immediately by giving them a reading or checking your on-line account to ensure that its accurate and up to date

If you've been with them for the the past six months (over the summer) then by now you should have a fairly healthy credit to see you into the winter.

However if you've not been keeping an eye on your bills then SP may think that you need to increase your DD to cover the increased usage over the winter.

Most people will only use around 30-35% of their annual energy during the summer and the remaining 65-70% in the five months between November and March

If you've been monitoring your consumption and it's in line with your estimates then get the DD reduced.

You can do your own sums - £77 a month for 12 months = £924.

Say you've used about 35% of your annual energy then you' should have used around £324 worth, but you've actaully paid £77 x 6 = £462, so you should be in credit by about £138 by now.

You'll be using around £600 worth in the next six months but you've only got another six payments to make = £426 so unless you are in credit by at leat £120-£140, you could be around £140 in arrears by the end of winter, which is what SP are trying to avoid.

If you have already accrued a debit (whether real or estimated) then you'll be even more in arrears so do your own sums to see whats happening and get it corrected if necessary.

You need to read your meters and subtract from it the initial reading that you gave when you started with SP to work out exactly how much energy you've used and how much it's actually cost to see if you are on track.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,
    Teresa_B wrote: »
    I switched from Npower to Scottish Power based on my energy details here and it was a considerable saving to switch to a fixed saver tariff until March 2018.

all that's fixed is the unit price, and standing charge, Direct Debits can go up or down, depending on usage.
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

I switched from Npower to Scottish Power based on my energy details here and it was a considerable saving to switch to a fixed saver tariff until March 2018. Now 6 months in Scottish Power instead of taking the usual £77 by direct debit have just taken £121 out for September and I've just had a letter saying they will be taking £161.75 in October.

They say they can put up the direct debit if I use more energy, well I haven't and I don't understand this at all because when I signed up for it I put my readings for the whole year into the calculator and it came out as £77 a month, so they knew what my average yearly use is.

Can anyone advise me please because this is now going to work out more expensive than Npower

Teresa

Hi Teresa B,

Thanks for your message. If you need our help with your query you can contact us using the details on our profile page.

Thanks,

Jen :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi

Teresa

I can well understand your frustration at the proposed increase in your monthly payments. However, you are confusing monthly payments with charges for the energy that you use. Monthly payments are nothing more than a credit to your account.

If you are on a fixed term contract, then the two things that are fixed are the contract term and the unit price. The upper limit of the standing charge is also fixed; however, as any discounts are taken from this charge it follows that the removal of these discounts (for say, a payment breach) could result in a standing charge increase.

In sum, even if the supplier asked for a £1000 a month, you will only pay for the energy that you use at the agreed contract price.

So why has your DD increased? My guess is that the supplier has used 6 months on your present tariff plus 6 months on the SVT to calculate your costs for the next year. A lot of the suppliers appear to be doing this, and Ofgem seems to be happy about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure