Monarch in trouble again...

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Going, going, gone! Easyjet will be busy this year with this news and all the problems at RyanAir. Glad I booked our summer flights yesterday.

Jet2 very good option too. 10kg hand luggage allowance plus 22kg if you have checked in luggage. Great leg room if you are tall. Dad is 6ft 3 and was impressed
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »

I hope the OP doesn't mind if I bump this up the thread for those that may be looking for latest information:

CAA NEWS

Monarch has confirmed that the following companies have ceased trading and now entered administration:
    • Monarch Airlines Ltd
    • Monarch Holidays Ltd (ATOL Number 2275)
    • First Aviation Ltd (ATOL Number 4888) previously trading as Monarch Airlines
    • Avro Ltd (ATOL Number 1939)
    • Somewhere2stay Ltd
    As a result, we are sorry to inform you that, as of 2 October 2017, all future holidays and flights provided by these companies have been cancelled and are no longer operating.

This is an unprecedented situation and because there are up to 110,000 passengers abroad, the UK Government has asked the CAA to coordinate flights back to the UK for all Monarch customers currently overseas. These new flights will be at no extra cost to you.
    If you are already abroad you will find all the information you need about your new flight on this website.

If you are due to depart from a UK airport with Monarch Airlines today or in the future, please do not travel to your UK airport as your flight will not be operating.
    Customers already abroad

If you are currently abroad and due to return to the UK on or before 15 October 2017 we are making arrangements for you to return home to the UK on a new flight, at the end of your holiday. These new flights will be at no extra cost to you.

We will of course prioritise vulnerable passengers, including unaccompanied minors, and make sure that family groups travel on the same flights.

For further advice and details of your new flight please read I am currently abroad.

If you are currently abroad and due to return to the UK after this date, please read the additional information section.

Customers yet to travel out of the UK

We are sorry to inform you that all future holidays and flights booked with Monarch are now cancelled as of 2 October 2017.

If you are booked on a Monarch Airlines flight, please do not go to your UK airport, as your flight will not be operating.

Further information is available at I have a future booking and have not travellled yet.

CAA

monarch.caa.co.uk
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Thanks worldtraveller, we've updated the news story since then.

Anyone that needs it please also read these guides:

Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback and Section 75 refunds guides
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • System
    Options
    I'm impressed with the arrangements and how much info the CAA have put out so quickly.
    Disappointing news for many but at least no-one should be left wondering.

I think this is why they delayed the news. After the Ryan Air debacle I think this gave the CAA time to strategize and deliver.

Very impressed also myself. Qatar aircraft were just about to land into Gatwick and Birmingham, Monarch aircraft pulled off stands at airports, hours before the announcement. Very very smooh.
  • carlosftw
    Options
    I was in the process of receiving a cheque for a flight delay claim. The cheque hasn't yet come through (takes up to 28 days) and Tuesday (tomorrow) is the 28th day. Am I screwed?
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Agreed

Although I guess the pilots will all be aware of another airline who are a bit short atm...

I don't believe for one minute that's the only cause of their problem, however it does all come down to money and if you're charging £4.99 for a flight, (with no optional extras purchased,) you simply can't afford your overheads, (including pilots).

I wonder how many people booked a flight with Ryanair this weekend? I bet they are wishing they had?

However, it doesn't inspire you with confidence for airline travel this week. Ryanair has temporarily dropped from the headlines, but..............

Anyone remember Freddie Laker?

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/freddie-laker-skytrain-airways-transatlantic-london-new-york-florida-los-angeles-british-airways-air-a7966196.html
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't believe for one minute that's the only cause of their problem, however it does all come down to money and if you're charging £4.99 for a flight, (with no optional extras purchased,) you simply can't afford your overheads, (including pilots).

Indeed, but even at £49.99 they're not covering their costs. The cheapskates who don't pay the extras (meals, hold baggage, pre-booked seats etc) are being massively subsidised by those who do, and even those who pay for everything are still being subsidised by airports who pay the airline to fly there. It's time all the "hidden" incomes were scrapped and each traveller simply paid the full cost (plus a small profit). It would make it fairer for all travellers and would give the airlines a sustainable business model.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    carlosftw wrote: »
    I was in the process of receiving a cheque for a flight delay claim. The cheque hasn't yet come through (takes up to 28 days) and Tuesday (tomorrow) is the 28th day. Am I screwed?

Even if the cheque arrives I suspect it will bounce.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • System
    Options
    Interesting question

For those flying back with an alternative company the CAA have organised- would the passengers be forced to use that carrier's luggage restrictions?

Monarch had 20kg hold and 10kg hand luggage allowance. If the alternative only allowed 7kg for hand luggage and theirs weighed 9kg, would the passengers be forced to put that bag into the hold?
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pennywise wrote: »
    The cheapskates who don't pay the extras (meals, hold baggage, pre-booked seats etc) are being massively subsidised by those who do, and even those who pay for everything are still being subsidised by airports who pay the airline to fly there. It's time all the "hidden" incomes were scrapped and each traveller simply paid the full cost (plus a small profit). It would make it fairer for all travellers and would give the airlines a sustainable business model.

Not wanting a bag in the hold or airline food doesn't make someone a cheapskate. It means they travel light and don't want to eat what is offered or when. Not caring where they sit likewise.

Ryanair do all these things you seem to think are out of order and seem to have a sustainable business. It's more about offering different things for different people with different needs/requirements.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure