PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• lg1968!
    Options
    Very disappointed with Nationwide - ppi refusal. My husband was offered a Nationwide Credit Card when we applied for a mortgage with them. The application was pre-filled a week before he went in to sign and when he questioned why the ppi box was ticked he was told that it was compulsory if he wanted to be accepted for the credit card. He wasn't overly happy especially as he had other policies and means to cover if he was off sick or made redundant etc but back then he trusted what the bank manager told him. When the ppi mis-selling first hit the headlines he realised that his ppi had been mis-sold as it was not compulsory etc. We tried to claim and Nationwide not only rejected the claim but also sent him a rather abrupt and !!!!!! letter. He then went to the Ombudsman who sided with Nationwide - for some reason they did not believe that the form had been pre completed etc. We decided to try and submit a new claim when Plevin was mentioned and applied via Resolver and received a letter from Nationwide today 'reminding' us that we applied previously and was rejected and how the Ombudsman also agreed. So whilst we are still peeved that he feels duped knowing that ppi wasn't actually compulsory to having a credit card he now also feels annoyed that I tried and failed to submit a new claim. Just to note that Nationwide are the only company who refused out ppi claims. Has anyone else had any problems and how could they not accepted it was mis-sold
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nationwide are not the only company who refuse PPI complaints.
    They are not accepting it was missold because he can't show any of the conditions that missellin require, and if the ombudsman don't see it either, then the balance of probability lies in Nationwide not having missold it.

Sounds like your complaint restedon the form being pre-filled in and therefore compulsory.

Might have had a different outcome if you'd leftt hat bi out and shown you didn't want or need the PPI due to other benefits.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • RedFinn
    Options
    Just a quick one to say that on 14th July I used Resolver to raise a complaint with HSBC going back to 1998 (I am no longer a customer but was until November 2011, so they still had my details) I had no paperwork, no account numbers. I received a letter acknowledging my complaint about a week later which was followed up with a couple of phone calls, during which I stated that I was in full-time employment with 6 months paid sick leave and would have been eligible for substantial redundancy pay, also that the loans in question were taken out in branch and nobody advised that PPI would not have been suitable.

Anyway, wasn't expecting anything much to come of it but last Friday received a letter from HSBC upholding my complaint and offering me £8032.88 in F&F, my husband thought I'd had an accident as I shrieked upon seeing it!

So, all thanks to MSE for encouraging me to do it myself and Resolver!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The application was pre-filled a week before he went in to sign and when he questioned why the ppi box was ticked he was told that it was compulsory if he wanted to be accepted for the credit card.

Whilst that is a missale reason, it is one of the weakest complaint reasons in terms of likelihood of success due to lack of evidence. Every try-it-on/fraudulent complaint also uses that as a reason.

When the ppi mis-selling first hit the headlines he realised that his ppi had been mis-sold as it was not compulsory etc. We tried to claim and Nationwide not only rejected the claim but also sent him a rather abrupt and !!!!!! letter.

The Nationwide response letter will take the standard reply format as the complaints process is regulated and requires certain wording to be present in it.
    He then went to the Ombudsman who sided with Nationwide - for some reason they did not believe that the form had been pre completed etc.

What evidence did you have to support your allegation? If none, then its going to be rejected.
    We decided to try and submit a new claim when Plevin was mentioned and applied via Resolver and received a letter from Nationwide today 'reminding' us that we applied previously and was rejected and how the Ombudsman also agreed.

That is the correct response. You dont get multiple attempts.
    So whilst we are still peeved that he feels duped knowing that ppi wasn't actually compulsory to having a credit card he now also feels annoyed that I tried and failed to submit a new claim.

He shouldnt be annoyed the second attempt failed. You get one bite of the cherry.
    Just to note that Nationwide are the only company who refused out ppi claims. Has anyone else had any problems and how could they not accepted it was mis-sold

Nationwide complaint stats are broadly in line with the others. There is nothing to suggest they are doing anything different or wrong. The problem here is the weak complaint reason and lack of evidence.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • lg1968!
    Options
    hi dunstonh, as evidence of the pre filled form we sent a copy of the original form showing where it was dated the week before and that it was different writing
  • dunstonh
    Options
    lg1968! wrote: »
    hi dunstonh, as evidence of the pre filled form we sent a copy of the original form showing where it was dated the week before and that it was different writing

That doesnt mean anything. For example, in a phone call or meeting they discuss the PPI with you and you agree to have it. They say they will arrange the forms and you can sign them at the next meeting or via the post. They type on the computer your details and you are having PPI and the forms are printed with that all on there (or written on if an older case that is before computers). So, you have a pre-filled application. Quite normal and correct and no indication of any wrongdoing.

pre-ticked is an issue that only applies to internet cases.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 September 2017 at 5:23PM
    Options
    lg1968! wrote: »
    as evidence of the pre filled form we sent a copy of the original form showing where it was dated the week before and that it was different writing
    I'm afraid you've completely misunderstood.
    There is certainly mis-selling where an INTERNET application form has the option box to accept PPI pre-populated and the applicant has to untick the box in order to refuse the insurance. This has long been accepted as an unfair and misleading practice.

In your case you are complaining that someone filled in the form on your husband's behalf and that the date he signed the agreement is different to when it was filled out.

This is not mis-selling, it's just time-saving.

Your husband would still have had the clear option to refuse any insurance at the time he signed, so not unfair.

Unfortunately, your claim that he was told that the insurance was compulsory (which is a separate complaint) was not substantiated by the available evidence and the complaint was therefore rejected by the Bank and the Ombudsman.

You cannot go on making complaint after complaint about the same thing I'm afraid. Once rejected by the Ombudsman, the complaint is over no matter how aggrieved you continue to feel. Plevin is not a new opportunity to present your original case.

With regard to Plevin, you needed only to make a complaint that the commission charged was not made evident to your husband and was over 50%.
    However, even if you are successful, you will only receive a refund of any commission paid over the 50% threshold.

You will never receive a full refund of the PPI.

If the commission paid was less than 50%, you'll receive nothing at all..
  • anthonyd923
    Options
    Just received an offer back from Santander for PPI on a loan from years ago.

The monthly premium for the PPI was £17.49/month on a loan of £6000 to be paid back over 8 years.
    The offer I've been given is £227.37, plus the interest, etc which pushes it up to £422.61

The loan was paid off years ago, but I did run into financial trouble and it ended up being paid back to Santander via a debt collection agency.

I've calculated that if the loan & PPI was completely paid off then 96 installments would be £1,679.04.
    Why would Santander's offer be so low? Would repayments made through a debt collection company not be considered?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    J
    The offer I've been given is £422.61
    I've calculated that if the loan & PPI was completely paid off then 96 installments would be £1,679.04.
    Why would Santander's offer be so low?
    Sounds like the Bank may have off set monies (interest etc) which were written off as part of the Debt Management. The breakdown of the redress should show this, if not you can request a breakdown. Remember also that your PPI will have been cancelled when you defaulted, so perhaps you didn't pay it all to term.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    The loan was paid off years ago, but I did run into financial trouble and it ended up being paid back to Santander via a debt collection agency.

Did that involve some of the balance being reduced as part of an agreed settlement?

Also, when that happens, there is usually a part rebate on the PPI premium at the time it goes to the debt company. The rebate is paid to the balance of the loan.

If either or both of the things happened, then that would explain the reduced figure.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback