PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Options

Comments

• meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just to confuse things further........whinberries, bilberries are called frauchens in the Dublin county area where my late mother grew up.......there was a "Frauchen Sunday" when charabancs ( 1920s) would take people out from the city to pick them and have picnics around the area known as the Pine Forest. Allegedly all these berries, and bluberries, grow best in areas where there are pine forests......perhaps FPK you can find a pine growing area to start your search.....good hunting.

Marie.
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you Floss! We're very close to Dovestones so I shall butter OH up with the pie and then make the suggestion. We may be in this house a year, possibly two so I may not even be here for a first strawberry harvest. There is a good spot for them in the garden, but it may just have to wait. OH will eat any flavour of jam and I also have the apples to mess about with. Almost forgot--Rhubarb is also on the list for longer term.

Meanmarie--what a great image. I'd love to get a charabanc with a picnic and go fruit picking! I'll keep my eye out for them any time I see pines.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Options
    nursemaggie That's brilliant news about the central heating :j

Nice to see you on here Marie :)

Well, it's been an interesting day so far.....we got into the car and set off to go shopping, but OH immediately realised something didn't feel right with the car....flat tyre! So we managed to turn round and come back home, as we'd only got round the corner.
    He rang the RAC who initially said there would be a wait of about 3 hours, so i prepared to take the shopping trolley to the local shops; but then the RAC man rang and said he was only round the corner and would be with us as soon as he'd finished his current job.

He came about 10 minutes later and was here only about 10 minutes - we were so glad that when OH ordered the car (it's a Motability one) he paid extra for a proper spare wheel. Well, I say a "proper" spare wheel, it's one of those "spacesaver" ones but a great deal better than just a repair kit.

So we were able to go shopping, then when we got back OH told me that one of the arms of his glasses had snapped as he changed over from his reading glasses when the RAC man arrived.

Now waiting for someone from KwikFit to bring a new tyre, but it's 5 o'clock and they're not here so far.

Ah, they've just rung but can't come until Tuesday, or OH can take the car to another local-ish branch to have it done there, but there's no need really as we have a usable car for now. And we have food. Easy stuff, mostly.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    All this talk of bilberries is making me want some! DM used to buy them in Leeds market during the 1940s/50s and, apart from being yummy, they turned your tongue purple. If you had cream on the pie (well, evaporated milk :D ) that would turn purple too. Alas, none of the stall holders have them nowadays; instead they have blueberries which imo are NOT the same thing at all.
    We are having central heating. I have been wishing for that ever since we moved in. I could not believe it when I got a phone call last night from the housing association. The gas people are bringing in gas to the building next month so they decided as we all have decrepit storage radiators they may as well put in gas central heating for everyone that wants it.

I told her I thought everyone will want it as the storage radiators are not very efficient and cost a lot more than gas. I have a surveyor coming on Wednesday.

Happy days nursemaggie, you'll love it. :)

We moved into our council property in the early 1980s when it had under-floor heating (living room and hall only) that had been in since the day the place was built in the late 50s/early 60s. That was useless so eventually the council installed storage heaters. Better, but still expensive and not ideal as they worked on Economy 7. Warm when you got up in the morning but no heat left in them by the time you got home from work in the evening. :doh:

In 2006 our council introduced a scheme where tenants of electric only properties could ask for gas central heating to be installed ... so we did! :D We did have to pay a contribution (extra charge on weekly rent for 11 years) but got gas laid on to the property, gas meter, radiators in every room, new combi boiler and all pipe work included. In fact, we've just finished paying our "bit" a fortnight ago. :):) The installation did make a bit of a mess but it was so worth it to be warm and have constant hot water on demand.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you Floss! We're very close to Dovestones so I shall butter OH up with the pie and then make the suggestion. We may be in this house a year, possibly two so I may not even be here for a first strawberry harvest. There is a good spot for them in the garden, but it may just have to wait...

They will happily grow in troughs or pots, and then can go with you. As to harvest, the first ones I planted in Feb 2012 were two packs of six plants from Aldi, and we had our own strawberries for Wimbledon finals day that year!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Floss wrote: »
    They will happily grow in troughs or pots, and then can go with you. As to harvest, the first ones I planted in Feb 2012 were two packs of six plants from Aldi, and we had our own strawberries for Wimbledon finals day that year!

My strawbs were doing well, until naughty pup decided to break through the gate, n scoff the lot :eek::rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

Floss, I've never gotten strawberries to fruit in containers. I can get most things going in them so there must be some secret I lack! I suggested Dovestones to OH after his first bite of pie. He said he'd think about it.

Yorkshirelass, we got them in the local greeengrocers--tried them more as a novelty as I wouldn't say they were an economical way to spend a tight fruit budget. The label said Poland, so there must be some knocking about somewhere.

Right we're off for a morning walk. Hugs to all who need them.x
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    My strawbs were doing well, until naughty pup decided to break through the gate, n scoff the lot :eek::rotfl:

I remember once someone posted a pic of her dog caught red-handed, (so to speak :D) with a strawberry between its teeth and looking extremely guilty :rotfl:
    I think it was on the Daily thread, years ago.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Floss, I've never gotten strawberries to fruit in containers. I can get most things going in them so there must be some secret I lack!

Yorkshirelass, we got them in the local greeengrocers--tried them more as a novelty as I wouldn't say they were an economical way to spend a tight fruit budget. The label said Poland, so there must be some knocking about somewhere.

Apparently bilberries originate from Northern Europe, especially Scandanavia and Eastern Europe (so not surprised yours were from Poland) whereas blueberries are American cultivares. The bilberries are smaller, less sweet and grow wild on poor, scrubby, acidic soil rather than being cultivated. They're also more time-consuming when it comes to picking. I suppose back in the 50s we didn't have today's choice and all-year-round availability that we do now and tended to eat seasonally. Maybe then the bilberries were an "extra"growing in corners of farm fields but wouldn't be profitable nowadays. And no, they wouldn't be economical as you need loads to make a pie!

On a happier note, I can normally grow strawberries in containers, but this year mine haven't done that well either. Probably the up/down weather's to blame rather than our horticultural skills! ;)

As for local greengrocers - if only :cry: . Our nearest local parade of shops has a Chinese/Thai take-away, an off licence/convenience store (I never use it - very expensive), a hairdressers, a fish & chip shop and two units knocked into one for a community centre. In the other direction, on the "big" parade, we did have two greengrocers (one of which also sold wet fish on a Wed and Fri), a butcher and choice of two bakeries. Not any more though, they've all gone :( We're left with 5 charity shops, 2 funeral directors, a cafe, 2 hairdressers and a barber, a mobile phone shop, a Jewish deli, a travel agent, a newsagent and 3 bank branches.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I have alpine strawbs growing madly all over the front garden and this year they are huge and very sweet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure