PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We fell in love with a house and ours is not on the market yet!

bluedrop
bluedrop Posts: 662 Forumite
edited 14 June 2017 at 9:07PM in House buying, renting & selling
What to do?

Our initial plan was let to buy. This house is a bit over our budget, but its PERFECT for us. So we saw it yesterday. DH and I are totally in love with it. we cannot afford it with let-to-buy arrangement. We are happy to sell our current house for this house.

My house needs a bit of touch up before I can put it on the market. The handyman can come only after next week.
There is more to life than increasing its speed.

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Get yours on the market ASAP.
    Hope somebody falls for it.

Simultaneously...
    Put an offer in on this one.
    Hope it's accepted.
    Hope the vendors are happy to wait.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    bluedrop wrote: »

My house needs a bit of touch up before I can put it on the market. The handyman can come only after next week.
    No! Get it on the market today, and if you do that at a sensible price, you might be in with a shout.

There's nothing that a 'handyman' can do that will make your house a goer. You have to do that, by pricing it right.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Are the estate agents selling the house good in the area? If so, let them know your situation and ask if you can sell it through them, this may give you some more leverage.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You're not proceedable, and don't know if you can afford the new house - things don't look good.

I would sit down and take a hard look at your finances to determine whether you can actually afford the new place. If you think you can, then get the current house on the market ASAP and hope someone falls for it like you've fallen for the next place.

If the sums or the timing doesn't work out, then it ain't gonna happen. Forget it and move on quickly, as it'll only lead to heartache otherwise.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Never view houses if you're likely to become emotionally attached. I love two, but can't offer until I have a buyer. I'm quite pragmatic about it. If they go, there will be others.

We were determined to make ours perfect before selling, but after viewing many houses which leave a lot to be desired(!), I wish we'd marketed anyway. The market was a whole lot better than now!

I'd not offer until I had a buyer: 1) you make it more appealing to other people (human nature); 2) it doesn't give you much room for negotiation on the price of yours; 3) if it takes you months, they are far less likely to lower the price on theirs if you've offered high... Saying that, there was someone on here recently who offered and joined the middle of the chain without having a buyer. Other reasons which I've forgotten (it's early, I've not had tea), but you might find them on the search. I've said 'human nature' in this respect many times.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • NicNicP
    NicNicP Posts: 249 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    We were in exactly the same position as you. We had no plans to move until we saw a house we fell in love with. We did a few jobs that needed doing then put ours on the market. It sold within 24 hours and our offer was accepted on the new house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure