PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegan Store Cupboard Challenge

Comments

• Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I love the recipes!

Great inspiration, if you are ever feeling in a photo taking mood...pictures would be fabulous!
  • bohemia wrote: »
    Just wondering if this is the best place to post or not but... would anyone veggie/vegan recommend getting a slow cooker? Everyone seems to be raving about them but I wondered if they are mainly great for meat dishes.

I have a 6.5 litre which is too big for us as I don't have enough room in the freezer to store lots, &DS2 doesn't like stews. Though I've just started doing steamed puddings in it which turn out well &i can fit 2 in at a time. Wouldn't get rid of it, wish I'd got more freezer room!
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • Murtle wrote: »
    I love the recipes!

Great inspiration, if you are ever feeling in a photo taking mood...pictures would be fabulous!

sorry murtle...would love to give photos....just don't have the technology (technophobe at heart!!:rotfl:)
    I have a 6.5 litre which is too big for us as I don't have enough room in the freezer to store lots, &DS2 doesn't like stews. Though I've just started doing steamed puddings in it which turn out well &i can fit 2 in at a time. Wouldn't get rid of it, wish I'd got more freezer room!

I used to have a slow cooker....but everything seemed to taste the same :o obviously, not one of those things I ever mastered....have been told that they are great for cooking beans though....apparently, you just boil them for 10mins then shove into slow cooker for 12 hours and they are meant to be great....I did think about getting one again,but dh thinks that they are the spawn of satan so probably never will!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Will put this weeks recipes on tomorrow....it has turned into a sunday morning ritual when everyone else is having a lie-in....:D did go to farm shop this morning and got a 10kg sack of onions for £2.50, which means that I have a huge pot of onion chutney on the go at the moment, plus the onions are cooking for tonights caramelised onion tart and I think i may make some onion soup and some onion bread for the freezer....... am chopping job lots of them to put in the freezer to save me time during the week too!! Just wish that I wasn't crying so much......:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::D
    Mortgage 12.12.12 £55842 12.12.13 £42716 14.12.14 £28837 13.12.15 £25913
    Mortgage OP £50/£600 House Fund £420/£5000
  • This weeks recipes....

Caramelized Onion Tart

3tbs olive oil
    2 onions – sliced
    2 leeks cut diagonally into thin slices
    1 red onion cut into thin wedges
    5fl oz white wine
    3tbs white wine vinegar
    1tbs lemon juice
    13oz puff pastry

Heat oil in pan, add onions (both types) and leeks and stir until coated with the oil. Cover and cook very gently for 1 hour. Season with salt & pepper. Increase heat, add wine, vinegar and lemon juice. Stir until wine has almost disappeared. Remove from heat.

Heat oven to 190/gas 5.Roll pastry and cut out four 4in circles. !!!!! bases all over with a fork. When onions have been cooking for 40mins put a baking tray in oven for 1 in to heat. Place circles of pastry on the baking tray and bake for 10-15mins until golden & puffy. Turn the circles over, spoon some onion mixture onto each one and bake for further 5 mins

Autumn Veg Stew

2tbs olive oil
    1 med onion finely chopped
    1 turnip peeled & diced
    1 large carrot cut halved lengthways and cut into ½ in half moons
    1 large parsnip peeled, halved lengthways and cut into ¼ in half moons
    1 large sweet potato peeled & diced
    2 cups winter squash peeled & diced
    ½ cup dry white wine
    2 cups veg stock
    1tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves or ½ tsp dried
    1 tsp salt
    ¼ tsp ground black pepper
    2 cups dark leafy greens
    1 ½ cups or 1 tin cooked kidney beans
    2tbs chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in large saucepan over med heat. Add onion, turnip, carrot, parsnip,sweet potato & squash. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until slightly softened – about 10mins. Stir in the wine, stock, thyme, salt & pepper and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the veg is softened and the liquid reduced – about 30 mins. Stir in the greens and kidney beans. Simmer for about 10 mins, sprinkle with parsley & serve.

Roasted Squash Risotto

1 med squash (eg. acorn, butternut) halved and deseeded
    8 vegan sausage patties cooked
    2tbs olive oil
    3 garlic cloves finely chopped
    ½ onion diced
    ½ tsp curry powder
    ¼ tsp nutmeg
    1 ½ cups arborio rice
    ½ cup dry sherry
    3 cups veg broth + half cup water heated
    ½ cup chopped pecans
    2tbs soya cream
    1tbs parsley chopped

Preheat oven to 200. Roast squash cut sides down on well oiled baking sheet. Bake for approx 30mins until fork tender. Remove from oven, cool for a few minutes, scoop out the squash and set aside. Heat oil over medium heat and cook onion & garlic for about 3 mins. Add curry, spices and rice, stir until coated. Stir & cook for 5 mins. Add sherry and 1 cup of broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for approx 7-8mins. When most of liquid absorbed, add remaining cups of broth 1 cup at a time, stirring and simmering until each cup of liquid is absorbed before adding the next. When final cup is nearly absorbed add roasted squash & pecans and stir well. Break the sausages into bite sized pieces and throw in. Stir until rice is cream, add soya cream, black pepper and parsley. Serve.

Polenta Stuffed Red Peppers

4 cups water
    1 ½ tsps salt
    1tbs corn oil
    1 ½ cups cornmeal
    4 large red peppers
    1/3 cup rehydrated sun dried tomatoes
    3 tbs olive oil
    ½ cup finely diced onion
    1 garlic clove finely diced
    1 tbs finely chopped parsley
    1tsp finely chopped basil

In large saucepan, combine water, salt & corn oil. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and gradually whisk in cornmeal, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Cook, stirring until the polenta begins to pull away from side of the pan – about 20 mins. Remove from heat and set aside.
    Preheat oven to 175. Slice tops off peppers and remove seeds & ribs. Plunge peppers into boiling water and cook for approx 3 mins. Remove from water and set aside, cut side down, to drain.

Drain sun dried tomatoes and chop. Heat oil in large pan, add onion and cook until softened – about 5 mins. Add garlic and cook, stirring for about 30secs. In a large bowl, combine polenta, onion mixture, tomatoes, parsley, basil and salt & pepper. Mix well, fill pepper with mix and place upright in baking dish. Add few tablespoons water to baking dish, cover and bake for approx 30 mins.

Corn Coconut & Lime Soup

1 tin sweetcorn
    2tbs veg oil
    1.5 litres veg stock
    1in piece root ginger, peeled & grated
    2 shallots, sliced
    1 chilli, seeded & finely chopped
    3 kaffir lime leaves
    4floz coconut milk
    large handful basil leaves

Heat oil in large saucepan, add ginger, shallots & chilli. Fry gently for 5 mins. Add kaffir lime leaves, veg stock & coconut milk. Bring to boil, then reduce heat immediately and simmer for 5 mins. Add corn and simmer for further 5 mins. Tear basil leaves and put into soup bowls, add soup and serve.

Millet & Veg Savoury

½ lb millet
    30 fl oz water
    4 small or 2 large leeks chopped
    4 sticks celery chopped
    2 carrots grated
    2oz vegan marg
    ¾lb tofu
    2tbs tahini
    1 ½ tbs miso
    juice of 1 small lemon
    2 tsp soy sauce
    4 tbs soya yoghurt
    6 tbs water

Wash millet, cover with water. Bring to boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for approx 30 mins. Meanwhile, melt marg in pan and saute leeks, celery & carrots for approx 10 mins stirring frequently. Put tofu, tahini, miso, lemon juice, soy sauce, yoghurt and water into liquidizer and blend thoroughly. Mix veg into the millet. Pour about ¾ tofu mix in and mix thoroughly. Pour this mix into an oiled casserole dish and pour remainder of tofu mix over the top. Bake at 190/gas 5 for 20-30 mins until top is browned.

Chick Pea & Green Bean Tagine

1 ½ cups mixed dried fruit
    1tbs olive oil
    1 large onion chopped
    2 garlic cloves finely chopped
    ½ tsp ground cinnamon
    ¼ tsp turmeric
    1/8 tsp ground allspice
    8 oz green beans cut into 1 in pieces
    1 tin diced tomatoes
    1 ½ cups veg stock
    1 tsp brown sugar
    1 tin chick peas drained (or dried & cooked equivalent)
    ¼ cup slivered blanched almonds
    2 tbs minced fresh parsley
    1tsp grated lemon zest

Place dried fruit in bow. Cover with boiling water and soak for 20 mins. Drain, coarsely chop and set aside. Heat oil in large pan over med heat. Add onion, cover and cook for about 5 mins until softened. Stir in garlic, cinnamon,turmeric and allspice, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add green beans, tomatoes, stock, sugar and salt & pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 mins until beans are tender. Add the reserved fruit and chickpeas and cook for 5-10mins. Stir in almonds, parsley and lemon zest. Serve.

Enjoy :D:wave:
  • I have realised that I am not really treating this as a challenge!!:o

I am using a lot of things that I have in my cupboards, but have basically not set any targets and haven't designed my menu plan from what I already have in the house.....:wall: not really the point of a challenge is it!!!:whistle::doh:

So.... from Solstice, I challenge myself to spend no more that £100 per month on additional foodstuffs....it may sound a lot, but I have six adults in the house and this will also include toiletries and puppy food :eek:

I will stick to the menu plans I currently have for this week and next (they are already on this thread :D) and from then on, it will all be based around what I already have in the house.....

Be prepared for some wierd and wonderful menu's & recipes:dance::laugh::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Fabulous recipes, I can see me popping into this thread daily :D
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Rummer wrote: »
    Fabulous recipes, I can see me popping into this thread daily :D

will be pleased to see you!!! :D
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've been reading too - some of the recipes sound lovely! :)
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • Justamum wrote: »
    I look forward to them :T

Thanks Justamum :D....have noticed that you drop in regularly!!:D
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Fabulous recipes, thank you :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories