Great 'disguised Own Brand' Hunt.

Comments

• As a few others have said, Thorntons make most of M&S chocolates and sweets (I used to work for Thorntons).

I did hear a rumour that Clarins produced the M&S Formula skincare range and some of their cosmetics but I don't think there has been any proof of this.

I also read that Bourjois cosmetics are made by Chanel (as some others have said) and L'Oreal are made by Lancome but again I have never had any confirmation of this.

Hi Does anyone know who makes M&S premium range the revival skin care range, is this clarins as well

Cheers

Bex66
  • vannessaq
    vannessaq Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, im new to this but here goes...... I worked for Lancome for 6 years and I know that they are owned by the L'oreal group who also own the following :- L'oreal, Lancome, Mabeline, Helena Rubenstien, and a huge range of fragrance houses. I also know that Clinique is owned by the Estee lauder group who also own Mac, Clinique, Estee Lauder and once again a load of the fragrance houses. Chanel also owns Boujois. Clarins is just Clarins. If I think of any others I will let you know. Oh I worked for boots for 8 years too and when I worked for them there batteries were made by duracell not sure if thats still the case now though!
  • Roops
    Roops Posts: 1 Newbie
    royalsteve wrote:
    Neff still make their own as far as i am aware

I've bought 3 or 4 dishwashers in the last few years (different houses) and noticed the model stamp inside the units were exactly the same for Bosch, Neff and some MFI in house brand models. A quick look at the web site reveals that Bosch & Neff are located in the same place in Milton Keynes:

Neff & Robert Bosch Domestic Appliances,
    Grand Union House
    Old Wolverton Road
    Wolverton
    Milton Keynes
    MK12 5PT

And from ARG's website - AEG Domestic Appliances is one of the leading manufacturers of domestic appliances in Europe and a subsidiary of the Electrolux Group with worldwide operations.

I know for a fact that my Zanussi fridge / freezer is identical to an AEG model selling for £250 more...how smug I felt!
  • suekjw
    suekjw Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Most of the paint sold as O/B by the big DIY companies is made by either Crown Or Dulex - or at least used to be!

I used to work at Do It All years ago, and I am fairly sure their OB Paint was manufactured by Crown. Obviously it could have changed by now but I always buy the OB stuff - find the B&Q OB better than Crown or Dulux!

Maybe someone else knows more?

Sue
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have to say that I've never found an own brand paint that matches up to the texture & covering power of Dulux, so if they do make paint for others, it must be a completely different formula they use I feel.

I understand that the difference between Dulux retail paint & the one they market as trade is that the trade is a watered down version. Apparently builders & painters prefer a more runny constistancy, finding it easier to work with as it dries quicker than the retail version.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Marigold123
    Marigold123 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Same with bar soap used to use imperial leather can't now biggest ingredient in all bar soap sodium tallowate (cow,pig,goat fat you are washing yourself with lard!) a host of preservatives (to stop it going off)and parfum to mask the lovely (sic!) natural smell.
    Real soap is made with olive,palm oil or other nut seed oil and has little or no preservatives.
    Sorry, but 'real' soap is made with whatever fat you choose to make it with. All fats will saponify to make soap, but use different quantities of sodium hydroxide.

However, I can quite understand that as a vegetarian you would object to using soap made from animal fats. (Though of course after it has been through the saponification process it is changed chemically, and is no longer actually fat.) I agree that this is something that soap manufacturers ought to put on their labels, as it is relevant to those eating a vegetarian diet. (Though it's perhaps more strictly a vegan issue, as many vegetarians still wear leather shoes.)

Personally my concerns would be more with the added chemicals, preservatives, scents, etc, being bad for you, but this is only my view.
    EDIT: Sorry, lipidicman. Didn't see you'd already answered that post.
    A penny saved is a penny gained
  • Marigold123
    Marigold123 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Does anyone else recommend any type of soap which is good for sensitive skin and is not made out of pig etc.
    If you want to know exactly what is going into the products you are using on your skin, make your own! I'm not being sarcastic, it's very easy to make soap. There are lots of good books out there, plus tons of information on the Internet. It's great fun, inexpensive, and the good bit is you get to decide exactly what goes into it. I can recommend The Soapmaker's Handbook as an inspiring starting point. I can't put my hand on it at the moment, so I can't tell you the author. I got it from Book People years ago. Amazon don't appear to have it.

Handmade soap makes really lovely christmas presents as well.
    A penny saved is a penny gained
  • jazzyjustlaw
    jazzyjustlaw Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    If you want to know exactly what is going into the products you are using on your skin, make your own! I'm not being sarcastic, it's very easy to make soap. There are lots of good books out there, plus tons of information on the Internet. It's great fun, inexpensive, and the good bit is you get to decide exactly what goes into it. I can recommend The Soapmaker's Handbook as an inspiring starting point. I can't put my hand on it at the moment, so I can't tell you the author. I got it from Book People years ago. Amazon don't appear to have it.

Handmade soap makes really lovely christmas presents as well.

Thanks for that I will keep my eyes open.
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    For all you Moneysavers asking about 'smell alike perfumes...'

Next time easyjet has flights to Amsterdam for £1, almost opposite Hotel De Gerstorkorrel in Damtraat, (an economy but super value hotel) you'll find a VERY interesting shop, selling hundreds of perfumes.

Plenty of well known names, but their main business, is offering copies - not fakes - but products which have extremely similar aroma, to expensive brands.

The guy running the shop really knows his stuff & is a friendly, but a persuasive salesman, so make sure your plastic is well charged!!

VB!
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh! if only I was going to Amsterdam sounds like perfume heaven. Did you try any and were they any good?
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport