Kitchen Strip Light Flashing. Never Had One Before... help, what are the options?

I am now being rescued, so no advice is needed on this thread.
Thank you.

Hi

Just went to knock up some tea (have to go out for chips now!) and the kitchen light is flashing.

It's a single strip light about 3' long. It flickers then goes on/off every split second, making a buzzing noise when it does that.

So, I've never had a light like that before. I can't reach it. I have no idea how to pick/buy a new one or how to get this one out, or what it will cost.

Any advice? Recommendations? Will whacking it with a broom help?

Comments

• chalky_75
    chalky_75 Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    Think it could be the ignition button. If it is that saves buying the whole strip light
    Try and do a good deed every day.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    chalky_75 wrote: »
    Think it could be the ignition button. If it is that saves buying the whole strip light
    That sounds complex. It might be easier if I move house, I'm rubbish at these things, but as a tenant it's my responsibility for lightbulbs, so I can't/don't want to bother the landlord.
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    chalky_75 wrote: »

I think chalky means the starter, it's a cylindrical thing about 15mm round, you take it out by turning it about a quarter turn. Putting it back in sometimes fixes the problem.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • PasturesNew
    bryanb wrote: »
    I think chalky means the starter, it's a cylindrical thing about 15mm round, you take it out by turning it about a quarter turn. Putting it back in sometimes fixes the problem.
    Ah, a bit of practical advice even I might be able to follow.

I hate doing things like this. I am the world's worst at anything DIY. Truly and unbelievably useless.
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If it's flashing/striking then it is most likely the tube that is faulty and not the starter - measure the length of the tube, check the wattage (should be printed on the tube), you should be able to get a replacement from most DIY stores.
  • PasturesNew
    Jonesya wrote: »
    If it's flashing/striking then it is most likely the tube that is faulty and not the starter - measure the length of the tube, check the wattage (should be printed on the tube), you should be able to get a replacement from most DIY stores.
    I think I'd rather get it out and take it with me if that's the case.

I'd hate to measure it then get to the shop and find out there are 2-3 different sorts/fittings... and eventually choose one, come home and find I can't get the old one out.

And that's a thought ... how do you get them out?

I know I can reach it, if I clamber onto the kitchen worktops, but once I'm up there, what am I looking for?
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    And that's a thought ... how do you get them out?

but once I'm up there, what am I looking for?

http://tenantshandbook.oxford.gov.uk/oxfordirb/fluorescenttube.html
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,

I would think that it's the starter, have a look here, should help.

To remove starter: make sure light switch is off, usually a quarter turn to the

left to remove, if you have another strip light, then try swapping starter first,

To remove tube: it is held in a spring loaded connector, to remove, grip one

end and push towards the other end, then measure and check the wattage

it'll be printed on the end.

Edit: Oops, too late.
  • PasturesNew
    OK, 2.5 months on and I'm back. Today I decided to tackle this. Clocks have gone back and I now find I can't eat after 4pm as it's too dark to see in there.

Took the strip out, all OK.
    Read the link/instructions and it seems it is probably the starter that's at fault.
    Tried to get the starter out and no joy. Tried everything. Pushed, pulled, twisted. Followed the instructions that say push/twist anti-clockwise, it's not moving.

So. Stuck

Tempted to move house.

It's not easy getting up there either. Quite dangerous clambering onto the kitchen units when you're short and unstable (oh, and utterly useless).

I put the strip light back in, it sounds to me like it is the starter.
  • steve-o_3
    steve-o_3 Posts: 122 Forumite
    As said,

sounds like your starter. Quick way to tell if its the starter or the tube (the lamp itself) is :

If the starter is accessible with the power on, (starter is usually accessible from the side of the fitting, protruding slightly out of the fitting) pull it out while the lights flickering (a quarter turn anti clockwise and pull it out). Don't try this if you have to open the fitting and get inside to access the starter.

If the light stays on and doesn't flicker, then you just need a new starter (approx £1).

If the light fails, you might need a new tube as well.

Steve.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport