PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How can I get rid of the smell of gloss paint?

Hi everyone. I have tried searching for this but i dont seem to have the knack!

OH glossed the wood inside our bedroom cupboard while he was (finally) sorting it out for me. That was saturday and i cant seem to get rid of the horrible smell of gloss!

I open the windows in the bedroom most of the day with the cupboard door open and we have installed a vent too but after (almost) a week, it still stinks and i cant get our clothes back in until its gone.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the smell or is it just a case of waiting?

Comments

• rockie4
    rockie4 Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I was told that onion gets rid of it. I've not tried it myself but put a cut onion on a saucer in the room (or the cupboard) and it should get rid of the paint smell.............or at least make everything smell of onion!!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi there

I have done the onion thing whilst decorating and it really seemed to help ....
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Yep, the onion works!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• KE7285
    KE7285 Posts: 66 Forumite
    WOW!! Of all the things i thought might be able to help get rid, onions were definitely not one of them!

I'll give it a bash tonight - how long do you leave it in there for? Just as long as it takes?

Thanks loads! :j
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    KE7285 wrote: »
    WOW!! Of all the things i thought might be able to help get rid, onions were definitely not one of them!

I'll give it a bash tonight - how long do you leave it in there for? Just as long as it takes?

Thanks loads! :j

Yep -just cut them in half and stick on a saucer and leave until the paint smell has gone -if it hasn't gone after a couple of days you might need to cut a new onion ;)
    I always have them in the rooms when Im decorating.. hope it gets rid of the smell quickly for you :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • KE7285
    KE7285 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Thank you MRSMCAWBER! Its much appreciated :j
  • I was told to put out a small dish of neat white vinegar to absorb the smell
  • yup the onion thingy definitely works....

then your place reeks of onions lol.....:D
    Time is the best teacher
    Shame it kills all the students
    :p
    *******************************************************************************************
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    I've always put some vinegar on a saucer then put a cut onion in it too - maybe I like the best of both worlds :rotfl:
  • SunnyGirl wrote: »
    I've always put some vinegar on a saucer then put a cut onion in it too - maybe I like the best of both worlds :rotfl:

lol poooheeeyyy must be really smelly after you paint:rotfl:
    Time is the best teacher
    Shame it kills all the students
    :p
    *******************************************************************************************
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure