Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tiff
    • By tiff 3rd Mar 08, 4:19 PM
    • 6,583Posts
    • 8,597Thanks
    tiff
    Girls white dress for First Holy Communion
    • 3rd Mar 08, 4:19 PM
    Girls white dress for First Holy Communion 3rd Mar 08 at 4:19 PM
    There must be a few of us here with girls taking FHC this year. Was hoping we can post here any reasonably priced dresses. Must be white though, not ivory.

First off Ebay and US Ebay have some really good buys. I'm hoping though to be able to try something on, also would like a plain white dress that could maybe be worn again.

Looked in Monsoon today but all their dresses are ivory. BHS has a white dress for £65 and apparently Liverpool, Belfast and Glasgow M&S stores have dresses in around £65. Being a cheapskate I'm hoping to get mine for less!

Anyone found a bargain?
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
Page 1
  • finc
    • 3rd Mar 08, 8:35 PM
    • 3rd Mar 08, 8:35 PM
    I bought my daughter's a couple of years ago in Debenhams during one of their blue cross sales. It was a bridesmaid dress but very simple and elegant design in white for £50.
    Adams also do a very simple white dress for £35 but only go upto age 10. No good for my daughter even though she was 7 as she's tall for her age. It would depend on what length you were going for though. Just watch out for the competitive mums though who have to spend at least £150 on the dress and £60 on the veil then another £50 on the shoes. Or maybe that was just the mums at my daughter's school.
    • tiff
    • By tiff 3rd Mar 08, 9:30 PM
    • 6,583 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 3rd Mar 08, 9:30 PM
    • 3rd Mar 08, 9:30 PM
    I think there will be Mums like that, although we've been told to keep the dress as plain as possible, and no extra bits like bag, umbrella etc! I'm not having a veil either and the priest was ok with that.

I've seen that Adams dress, very tempted. Tried to have a look at it in store but I think its online only. Must get a move on or it will be sold out.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • floss2
    • 5th Mar 08, 9:59 AM
    • 5th Mar 08, 9:59 AM
    When my DS's made their FHC 15 yrs ago, there were a few mini-brides...but the most extravagant dresses were worn by a Romany family who had a horse & carriage for 3 girls wearing full length beaded dresses with train, veil, gloves and a small blue-velvet dressed page-boy to hold their Bibles.....I'm glad I had boys!
    • Becles
    • By Becles 5th Mar 08, 2:22 PM
    • 12,831 Posts
    • 25,874 Thanks
    Becles
    • 5th Mar 08, 2:22 PM
    • 5th Mar 08, 2:22 PM
    There were some mini-brides when my sons did their FHC.

The girl who looked nicest was actually in a white brodiery anglaise shirt dress, and white sandles. She had shoulder length hair, and her Mam had glued tiny white silk flowers onto hair slides to clip the sides back off her face. She looked so fresh and pretty.

I would guess they probably spent the least amount on an outfit, plus she got wear out of the dress and sandles over the summer.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • lily the pink
    • 5th Mar 08, 3:00 PM
    • 5th Mar 08, 3:00 PM
    try vertbaudet - there are a couple of lovely white dresses in the Mila Blue range. La Redoute might have something too.
  • Shelanne
    • 5th Mar 08, 3:04 PM
    • 5th Mar 08, 3:04 PM
    Three years ago I bought off ebay US for my eldest daughter, an absolute bargain at £23 incl. postage. Maybe not what i would have chosen had I been inclined to be spending £150, but she looked as cute as a button.

I intended to do the same this year for DD2 but when I looked, I didn't see anything I liked as much and the dresses weren't quite so cheap. I landed lucky and picked up a real simple beauty of a dress in TK Maxx just before Christamas - £16.99!! Can't go wrong at that but as biggest size was age 6, she won't have to grow too much between now and May Unlike eldest she will want to do whole veil and tiara thing tough so I won't be finished at that!!
    • tiff
    • By tiff 5th Mar 08, 4:34 PM
    • 6,583 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 5th Mar 08, 4:34 PM
    • 5th Mar 08, 4:34 PM
    What does everyone think of this, is it too casual?

http://www.vertbaudet.co.uk/baby-nursery-maternity-clothes/Girls-Retro-Style-Dress.aspx?ProductId=V702133089&DocumentId=V370&Co mpanyId=V&source=4
    • tiff
    • By tiff 5th Mar 08, 4:39 PM
    • 6,583 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 5th Mar 08, 4:39 PM
    • 5th Mar 08, 4:39 PM
    Oops, the colour choices are cream or blue, even though it looks white.

How about this

http://www.vertbaudet.co.uk/baby-nursery-maternity-clothes/Mila-Blue-Girls-Broderie-anglaise-dress.aspx?ProductCode=6344796&CompanyId=V
    • Becles
    • By Becles 5th Mar 08, 7:14 PM
    • 12,831 Posts
    • 25,874 Thanks
    Becles
    I like that dress, and I don't think it's too casual.

And she can wear it again afterwards, so it's too!
    Here I go again on my own....
    • tiff
    • By tiff 5th Mar 08, 8:15 PM
    • 6,583 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    Yeah, thats what I thought. I've just got to be brave and not do what everyone else is doing!

Thanks to the person who suggested Vertbaudet.
    • Nenen
    • By Nenen 5th Mar 08, 9:16 PM
    • 2,350 Posts
    • 7,525 Thanks
    Nenen
    I went to a First Communion Service last year and the prettiest dress by far was the one worn by a little girl whose mum is Spanish... they had bought the dress in Spain where there is apparently a great choice at very reasonable prices.. Might be worth a 1p Ryanair flight to do a day trip to look! She has little white flowers on clips in her hair which looked lovely too.
    Personally I really dislike the little strappy numbers worn by several of the girls... looked really tarty and inappropriate... but maybe I'm just old fashioned!
    “A journey is best measured in friends, not in miles.”
    (Tim Cahill)

• finc
    My mum lives in Spain and the Spanish make a real occasion of the Communion Day. There's a big festival in the village and a parade for all the children to show off their lovely outfits. As well as the religious side of course

I like them to look like little girls and not mini brides but then most of the 7 year olds in her class think they're teenagers anyway.
    • tiff
    • By tiff 6th Mar 08, 1:38 PM
    • 6,583 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    Going off topic, but my daughters friend turned up on a Saturday morning dressed in heeled boots with zips and chains on them, shorts and tights and pony tail on the side, with makeup on. She is 7. We had tears as we were going to the school fair and my daughter didnt like what she was wearing (fine previously) because she wanted the sort of thing her friend was wearing. There's no way she'll be wearing that, but it is so hard to deal with sometimes.

We talked about the communion dress last night and first of all she was happy with my choice, then later on she said she would like a longer dress but not "puffed out"! No further on than yesterday then lol

I did find lots of nice ones in the Tigerlily section on Debenhams website, but all the cheaper ones have sold out in a 7 or 8. Typical!
  • undercover_angel
    Have you seen this one?

http://adams.co.uk/shop/product/products_id/7180.html

ooh and i think this is really pretty to:

http://www.firstholycommunionday.co.uk/#/bridget/4527208745

Good Luck with your Search!
    11th March 2010- Got engaged to my amazing fiance, planning our wedding for 2012
  • AussieLass
    Originally posted by tiff
    I think this is really nice & suitable for first communion. Personally I think it looks stupid when parents go OTT at these type of things. After all it's not really about the dress. :rolleyes:
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

• feclmum
    • By feclmum 7th Mar 08, 9:52 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    feclmum
    was my dd FHC last year and ds1 year before we dropped on with the dress in debenhams sale for £25 was simple but gorgeous,last three years george have done white communion/bridesmaids dresses for about £20 which have been lovely not ott at all.have next directory not done them this year?
    we didnt do the veil thing either,we got a lovely white satin headband with a small bow on from claires(who also do cheap tiaras),curled her hair and she looked gorgeous!
    • ebaybaby
    • By ebaybaby 10th Mar 08, 12:36 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 1,244 Thanks
    ebaybaby
    I am probably going to get slated for this but I have to disagree with most of you who think it's ok to buy a summer dress and pass it off as a FHC dress.

Before you all start going mad, I dont think it should cost hundreds of pounds either or be too OTT.

But at the end of the day this is a very very special occasion for your daughter / son and I think it's worth pushing the boat out a bit more.

I actually dont follow trend or do what everyone else is doing, but I want my daughter to be/feel comfortable in what she is wearing and although I hate to admit it I would also be worried about the effect it will have on them if other kids made comments.

My eldest made her FHC a couple of years ago and we were lucky enough to be visiting the US before hand so hers was bought there. My youngest makes hers in May and Im still searching at the moment. But It will be a HC dress.

Good luck on your search.
  • bluepricey
    have you tried woolworths got my daughters shoes from there last year but got the dress and veil from a shop that specalised in hc dresses good luck very stressful time for mums
  • MrsE
    I am probably going to get slated for this but I have to disagree with most of you who think it's ok to buy a summer dress and pass it off as a FHC dress.

Before you all start going mad, I dont think it should cost hundreds of pounds either or be too OTT.

But at the end of the day this is a very very special occasion for your daughter / son and I think it's worth pushing the boat out a bit more.

I actually dont follow trend or do what everyone else is doing, but I want my daughter to be/feel comfortable in what she is wearing and although I hate to admit it I would also be worried about the effect it will have on them if other kids made comments.

My eldest made her FHC a couple of years ago and we were lucky enough to be visiting the US before hand so hers was bought there. My youngest makes hers in May and Im still searching at the moment. But It will be a HC dress.

Good luck on your search.
    Originally posted by ebaybaby
    I agree.

My daughter had hers 14 (ish) years ago.
    I had a dress made for her, a beautiful veil with an embroidered cross on the back, pretty shoes, the matching bag & all. The dress had tiny pearls sewn in it. The dress was not OTT naff looking, but beautiful & it looked incredible. The total outfit cost was about £150 to £200 14 years ago.

I only have one child, (fertility problems) so I only get to do each of these things once & I wanted to make it as special as possible for both of us.

So its not all about showing off.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,985Posts Today

5,585Users online

Martin's Twitter