Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PennyK
    • By PennyK 20th Mar 17, 10:00 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 49Thanks
    PennyK
    Advice required re online return - bogus company
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:00 PM
    Advice required re online return - bogus company 20th Mar 17 at 10:00 PM
    Hi,

Unbeknonst to me, my husband bought a "designer" jacket online from a company that appeared to be an outlet store for the brand. He thought he had grabbed himself a bargain....however, as I suspected (once he had told me) the jacket arrived today and it is clearly a fake.

The jacket has arrived from Hong Kong and there was no inovice or returns label in the parcel. Furthermore, the amount agreed to be paid was £154 however, the company has taken £167 from my husband's account. I am going to endeavour to return the jacket (he has had email correspondence with them so I can email to request to make a return) although I suspect that this will be a fruitless pursuit.

My questions are;
    1) Are there any legal rights I can fight for when requesting a return 2) Do we need to worry that this bogus company has my husband's bank details in that they may be able to take further funds from his account?

Thanks in advance,
    PennyK
Page 1
    • takman
    • By takman 21st Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 1,890 Thanks
    takman
    • 21st Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    The reason that £167 was taken instead of £154 could be due to them charging the card in a different currency and alot of banks offer a poor exchange rate and charge fees on top.

Due to the goods being bought from Hong Kong then UK consumer rights don't apply. If you ask to return it they may try and offer you a discount to encourage you to keep the jacket. But they usually try and stop you from returning the item. Even if they do accept the item back it isn't going to be cheap to return it to them.

Also as this is a moneysaving website then i can't see how a £154 jacket could ever be considered a bargain!. It's crazy how much people will pay for the branding on their clothing.
    • bris
    • By bris 21st Mar 17, 10:11 AM
    • 6,618 Posts
    • 5,644 Thanks
    bris
    • 21st Mar 17, 10:11 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 10:11 AM

Also as this is a moneysaving website then i can't see how a £154 jacket could ever be considered a bargain!. It's crazy how much people will pay for the branding on their clothing.
    Originally posted by takman
    because it will be a jacket that normally retails for £600, it surprising how people are still caught with these "70% of honest it is" websites. The warnings are there easy to read about and even see from the cheap full of errors websites.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 21st Mar 17, 10:16 AM
    • 10,464 Posts
    • 7,039 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 21st Mar 17, 10:16 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 10:16 AM
    How did he pay?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 21st Mar 17, 11:56 AM
    • 16,460 Posts
    • 10,634 Thanks
    molerat
    • 21st Mar 17, 11:56 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 11:56 AM
    How did he pay?
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    This.
    Please say directly by credit card
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • PennyK
    • By PennyK 21st Mar 17, 4:26 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    PennyK
    • 21st Mar 17, 4:26 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 4:26 PM
    Thanks everyone for your responses...as I said...this was done without my knowing. I am far more savvy to online shopping than my husband...hopefully he will have learned his lesson.

I fully agree that £154 for a jacket is not a bargain, however as Bris has said the retail cost would have been £600 odd which is ridiculous!

Unfortunately he would have paid by debit card...he doesn't own a credit card (rolls eyes!)

I'll pursue the return and see where we can go from there.

PennyK
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,302Users online

Martin's Twitter