Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • notrealname
    • By notrealname 20th Mar 17, 8:58 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    notrealname
    Why didn't I get a payrise?
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:58 PM
    Why didn't I get a payrise? 20th Mar 17 at 8:58 PM
    Despite getting a 'satisfactory' performance review score (along with 75% of the company), I was the only person in my team not to get a payrise (first time in 7 years not to have a payrise, majority of the team are 'satisfactory'). I don't earn signifcantly more (or even more) than the rest of the team and I don't know why I was missd out and plan to ask them questions about it ("were you unsatisfied with any aspect of my performance?" etc.). I work hard and often put in extra hours and want to stay at the company and don't want to inflame them - equally, I want to know why this decision has been made. Any advice on how I should play this, aside from some simple questions as above? The only change in circumstance is that I recently (in the last week) was allowed to go back to fulltime from part time. Again, during this conversation, they were happy to offer me fulltime - so I am very perplexed.
Page 1
    • asajj
    • By asajj 20th Mar 17, 9:53 PM
    • 4,089 Posts
    • 10,172 Thanks
    asajj
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:53 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:53 PM
    Probably because you are already earning well enough according to them? Only they can know and give you an answer to that. It should have been discussed during the performance review anyway, did you not ask them?
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 20th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 3,874 Posts
    • 3,943 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    If all the other staff with 'satisfactory' grading received a payrise it does seem odd that you didn't. Unless you are at the top of your grade band I would simply ask for an explanation of the reason.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 21st Mar 17, 10:19 AM
    • 5,874 Posts
    • 7,622 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 21st Mar 17, 10:19 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 10:19 AM
    It's reasomnable to ask.
    How do you know what other staff are pauid, what pay rise they were given or what theirppraisals were? Bear in mind that people are not always truthful when discussing that kind of thing.

It may be that you are at the top of the pay band for your specifc job, but it is ialso possible that there was some sort of technical glitch - for instnace, that someone was not paying attention and saw that your pay had gone up because your hours changes, but mistakenly assumed that the change was a pay rise. (in many organisations, there may be limits on having a second pay rise within a short space of time)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,540Posts Today

4,229Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin