Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pomaus
    • By pomaus 20th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 3Thanks
    pomaus
    Changes to compensation laws and discount rates
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    Changes to compensation laws and discount rates 20th Mar 17 at 12:45 PM
    First of all, sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section, I did not know where else to put it.

My question is in relation to the change in laws that came into effect today regarding Compensation payments, loss of future earnings because of a disability and the way that the Lord Chancellors Discount Rate is applied.
    The Discount Rate has been dropped from 2.5% to minus 0.75% was made in accordance with the law and in her capacity as independent Lord Chancellor.
    I know this applies to Personal Injury claims, Medical negligence and this will effect the NHS, other public bodies and Insurance companies, but does it also apply to "Criminal Injuries" i.e the CICA as they use the same chancellors Discount Rate in their scheme?

I have looked everywhere online and can not find an answer.

Many thanks if anyone can help

Matt
Page 1
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 20th Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    Typical.
    My grandson died of preventable complications at birth and left my daughter traumatised.
    She didn't sue the hospital at the time as she was far too unwell. By the time she gathered the strength to do something about it, three years had elapsed and she was out of time.
    Pity no one told her at the hospital that they had made such a tragic blunder.
    With the discount reduction it would have set her up for life with no worries going forward.
    • pomaus
    • By pomaus 20th Mar 17, 7:11 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    pomaus
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:11 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:11 PM
    @rockingbilly

I do not want to appear rude or unsympathetic to your situation because clearly your family experienced a tragic situation, however, I am unsure as to why you posted this comment on this thread? I think it is called hijacking a thread which is not very constructive to people who are seeking answers.
    Again, I am not being heartless to your situation but I think you should keep your comments to your own threads unless you have something constructive to contribute, otherwise it just puts other people off commenting

Kind regards

Matt
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,439Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin