Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CandyB101
    • By CandyB101 20th Mar 17, 7:34 AM
    • 1,217Posts
    • 2,817Thanks
    CandyB101
    Being in Credit Advice Please
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:34 AM
    Being in Credit Advice Please 20th Mar 17 at 7:34 AM
    Can anyone advise me please ...
    Last year my partner ran up a debt on our gas and electric.
    The account is only in his name.
    We contacted them and a payment plan was drawn up, and I paid monthly by direct debit out of my bank account for the bill/debt.
    We are now splitting up .. hes leaving on the 31st .. and thanks to me the account is now showing over £297 in credit.
    As he is leaving me with other debts to pay, can I get this refunded to back to my account ?? To help pay for the rent.
    I'm wanting to contact them to change the bill into my name ... but not wanting him to recieve the credit that I've created.
    Can I request the credit back to my account?
    I have a child to support.
    A creative mess is better than tidy idleness
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 20th Mar 17, 8:50 AM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 2,709 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:50 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:50 AM
    We contacted them and a payment plan was drawn up, and I paid monthly by direct debit out of my bank account for the bill/debt.
    We are now splitting up .. hes leaving on the 31st .. and thanks to me the account is now showing over £297 in credit.
    As he is leaving me with other debts to pay, can I get this refunded to back to my account ?? To help pay for the rent.
    I'm wanting to contact them to change the bill into my name ... but not wanting him to recieve the credit that I've created.
    Originally posted by CandyB101
    A couple of general comments. Firstly, a credit balance is a meaningless figure unless it is based on an actual meter reading/s and then only on the day that the reading/s were taken. It follows that the £297 might not be correct.

Secondly, when your partner moves out it is important that you contact the supplier on that date with an actual meter reading to avoid any claim against you for unpaid bills. It is likely that the supplier MAY put you on its standard variable tariff until such time as you agree to a new fixed term tariff or switch to another energy supplier.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 20th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 3,825 Posts
    • 1,519 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    Originally posted by CandyB101
    Any refund will usually be sent to the account holder.

Some suppliers may refund to the bank account on record which ahs been paying the bill via direct debit, but you have compliacted matters by paying someone else's bill.

Are you sure you are not now the (joint?) account holder in the eyes of the energy supplier?

Probably best to contact the energy supplier and ask them their policy on refunds.
    Of course, if you are not the account holder, they may refuse to speak to you about the account.
    Which begs the question, how did you arrange the DD set up in the first place?
    Hence why I suspect you may now be the (joint) account holder.,
    • CandyB101
    • By CandyB101 21st Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 2,817 Thanks
    CandyB101
    • 21st Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    Thank you.
    I will give them a call.
    A creative mess is better than tidy idleness
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

361Posts Today

5,022Users online

Martin's Twitter