Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mdbrfc11
    • By Mdbrfc11 19th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mdbrfc11
    Cash ISA and H2B - help
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    Cash ISA and H2B - help 19th Mar 17 at 9:15 PM
    Hello all I'd appreciate some help please.

I've just opened a Coventry flexible isa (match 2017) that id like to put around 400 in each month going forward.

Then in April/may 2017 I'd like to open a help to buy isa with nationwide. (Deposit then 200 a month)

Can I pay into both each month?? I know the rules around opening one per year but am unclear around how many I can pay into.

Obviously I won't exceed the total amount allowed.

Please help!!
    Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • isasmurf
    • By isasmurf 19th Mar 17, 9:24 PM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    isasmurf
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:24 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:24 PM
    No you can't. All deposits in the current tax year must be held with a single Cash ISA provider. Nationwide do allow you to split your cash ISA allowance between different cash ISAs held with them, so if both the cash ISA and HTB ISA was with Nationwide you would be able to subscribe to both. Not all cash ISA providers allow this.
    Last edited by isasmurf; 19-03-2017 at 9:26 PM.
    • Mdbrfc11
    • By Mdbrfc11 20th Mar 17, 9:07 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mdbrfc11
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:07 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:07 PM
    No you can't. All deposits in the current tax year must be held with a single Cash ISA provider. Nationwide do allow you to split your cash ISA allowance between different cash ISAs held with them, so if both the cash ISA and HTB ISA was with Nationwide you would be able to subscribe to both. Not all cash ISA providers allow this.
    Originally posted by isasmurf

OK thank you for that. I have an old nationwide cash ISA that needs renewing before use so all being well I shall open the H2B ISA with nationwide in April and just renew the cash ISA with them at the same time and split the allowance between the two..
    • badger09
    • By badger09 21st Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    • 5,069 Posts
    • 4,265 Thanks
    badger09
    • 21st Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    OP

Are you sure a cash ISA (excluding HTB which is a good idea) is the best place for your savings?

Have you considered the various current accounts and regular savers paying up to 5%?

As you mentioned Nationwide, are you already using their Flexdirect current account & regular saver, both of which pay 5%?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,056Posts Today

8,034Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin