Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • neilio
    • By neilio 17th Mar 17, 9:45 AM
    • 206Posts
    • 101Thanks
    neilio
    Advice on line management - preparation for interview
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:45 AM
    Advice on line management - preparation for interview 17th Mar 17 at 9:45 AM
    I’m applying for a small promotion at work. Twelve of us report to our line manager who is creating two team leader posts that will report to him, and the remaining ten will report into the two team leaders, five each. Although the positions are open to the whole team to apply, three of us (me included) are of a higher employment grade than the rest, so it’d be weird if one of the junior people were to succeed and end up having a senior graded person report into them, therefore I think I am in with a reasonably good chance, but not naively assuming anything is a given. I’m applying for it but I want to be duly prepared. I’ve never line managed anyone before. Can anyone recommend any good material I can read up on to get myself prepared and understand the challenges of having direct reports at work?
Page 1
    • danica322
    • By danica322 20th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    danica322
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    Manager Interview
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    An interview for a management position will contains of questions about your experience, management style, what you've accomplished in the past and what your expectations are for the future. Manager means person all of you looks what the manager do. Manager is the active worker in an organization. The manager will ask questions to determine how well you will fit into the organization, and how effective you’ll be in the position, most interviewers will focus on two important aspects of the managerial experience; chiefly getting results and dealing with people. There are so many questions ask to you these questions are mainly based on the experiences.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 20th Mar 17, 9:28 AM
    • 15,048 Posts
    • 37,689 Thanks
    elsien
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:28 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:28 AM
    You need to take your lead from the job specification as that is what they will base the questions on if it is a competency based interview.
    You can still also reference transferable skills from outside of the workplace, so if you have experience in handling people - motivating, organising, managing conflict etc and in running a local team or group, that would be appropriate to talk about.
    It depends on what the team leader role is actually going to involve.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 20th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 3,098 Posts
    • 3,825 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    As Elsien says, motivating, organising, dealing with conflict are obvious ones. So is performance management.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 20th Mar 17, 9:43 AM
    • 18,689 Posts
    • 18,974 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:43 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:43 AM
    Re performance management.

Disciplinaries should be last resort, and in any case are designed to help the employee improve to the standard required.

You need to ensure that your staff know what the expectations of them are - good practice is to have regular supervisions where any problems can be flagged up. If you encourage a no-blame culture where mistakes are used as a learning experience, it enables people to share mistakes with you before they have a chance to grow into something big!
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 20th Mar 17, 12:00 PM
    • 3,874 Posts
    • 3,943 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:00 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:00 PM
    Re performance management. Any problems / issues need to be dealt with immediately, not left until the next scheduled 1-2-1. I was shocked some years ago when another team leader told me that he left them until that time because he didn't like confrontation! Wrong man, wrong job I think.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,540Posts Today

4,229Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin