Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • arenaman
    • By arenaman 16th Mar 17, 10:37 AM
    • 715Posts
    • 131Thanks
    arenaman
    Motability Scheme
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:37 AM
    Motability Scheme 16th Mar 17 at 10:37 AM
    My son now qualifies for enhanced rate mobility PIP following the transition from DLA to PIP and he's now entitled to the motability scheme which looks very good so we're just checking things out about the scheme.

Just a few questions for people who know about the scheme as it looks too good to be true.

If I'm reading this right you can basically get a vehicle with insurance, tax, breakdown, MOT, servicing, tyres etc thrown in so you just add fuel for 3 years.

You can get say a Kia Picanto worth about £8k for £48 a week with no advance payment or something like a Renault Kadjar worth 3 times as much for only £9 a month more (max entitlement £57.25) Is that right?

Couple of other things my son is 16, we're not really sure if he's going to be able to or want to drive due to his disability but am I right in thinking that he doesn't have to be a named driver and we (parents) can be his drivers and he could be added later if needs be? (or not at all)

I've read that he wouldn't have to be in the vehicle every journey as long as it's used for his "benefit" so things like the wife going shopping for family food etc would be fine.

The other thing was the wife works 3 days a week and would use to car for commuting, is that acceptable? could that be deemed as using the vehicle to earn money for my son's benefit? Not sure how strict the scheme is but don't want to break the usage rules

She always calls in the shops on the way home from work for groceries for "his benefit" if that counts

Lastly from September he'll be going to college near where she works so every work day for my wife will consist of dropping him off, going to work then picking him up. Though she does do the odd bit of business miles and has casual business use on her current car, then there's the times when there's college holidays and she needs to go to work so it would't be used for his benefit then.

Sorry for the ramble, the main point was the vehicle will be used 90% for my son's benefit in some way but there will be times when it's not so I need to know if that would be ok

Hope this makes sense

Can anyone advise?

Cheers

PS Mods, wasn't sure if this should go in this or the motoring section so feel free to move it to where it will get the best response, thanks
    Last edited by arenaman; 16-03-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Page 1
    • Ames
    • By Ames 16th Mar 17, 11:07 AM
    • 16,254 Posts
    • 28,387 Thanks
    Ames
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:07 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:07 AM
    My son now qualifies for enhanced rate mobility PIP following the transition from DLA to PIP and he's now entitled to the motability scheme which looks very good so we're just checking things out about the scheme.

Just a few questions for people who know about the scheme as it looks too good to be true.

If I'm reading this right you can basically get a vehicle with insurance, tax, breakdown, MOT, servicing, tyres etc thrown in so you just add fuel for 3 years.
    Originally posted by arenaman
    Yes, that's right.

You can get say a Kia Picanto worth about £8k for £48 a week with no advance payment or something like a Renault Kadjar worth 3 times as much for only £9 a month more (max entitlement £57.25) Is that right?
    Why would you pay nearly nine grand over three years to hire a Picanto and have nothing to show for it at the end?

I was with motability for nine years, the amount I paid out would have bought a car. If you look at the overall cost it becomes less attractive.

Couple of other things my son is 16, we're not really sure if he's going to be able to or want to drive due to his disability but am I right in thinking that he doesn't have to be a named driver and we (parents) can be his drivers and he could be added later if needs be? (or not at all)
    You're correct, the disabled person doesn't have to be a named driver.

I've read that he wouldn't have to be in the vehicle every journey as long as it's used for his "benefit" so things like the wife going shopping for family food etc would be fine.

The other thing was the wife works 3 days a week and would use to car for commuting, is that acceptable? could that be deemed as using the vehicle to earn money for my son's benefit? Not sure how strict the scheme is but don't want to break the usage rules

She always calls in the shops on the way home from work for groceries for "his benefit" if that counts

Lastly from September he'll be going to college near where she works so every work day for my wife will consist of dropping him off, going to work then picking him up. Though she does do the odd bit of business miles and has casual business use on her current car, then there's the times when there's college holidays and she needs to go to work so it would't be used for his benefit then.
    This is where it gets complicated. Going to the shops is fine. Motability are fine with commuting as they say the income earned benefits the whole family including the disabled person. However, it's against the rules of the free road tax. There's no way of paying your own tax on a motability vehicle to get around that.

A lot of people just go ahead anyway, it's an issue that gets a lot of debate on these boards.

Sorry for the ramble, the main point was the vehicle will be used 90% for my son's benefit in some way but there will be times when it's not so I need to know if that would be ok

Hope this makes sense

Can anyone advise?

Cheers

PS Mods, wasn't sure if this should go in this or the motoring section so feel free to move it to where it will get the best response, thanks
    Something else to think about is, if you get rid of your current car and then lose the motability car in future would you be able to buy another? Bearing in mind you lose the car even if you go to appeal and win, you have to start the process of applying for a new car. So you could be without one for months.

Also (and apologies if this isn't possible due to his disabilities), what would you do if/when your son grows up, moves out, and you don't have daily access to his car?

Obviously I don't know your finances, and buying a car in future might not be a problem, but if it would cause hardship it's another thing to think about.
    Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • arenaman
    • By arenaman 16th Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    • 715 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    arenaman
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    Thanks, interesting about the commuting and road tax issue, just don't want to be left with invalid insurance if we had a prang or something

There's no way I'd pay £48 for a Picanto but a Kadjar at £57 with 75mpg sounds tempting

We never usually buy a car and run it into the ground anyway, it's usually the case of paying a car off, PXing it for a newer one and getting that over 5yrs @ £200 a month or something then repeat. This scheme wouldn't cost much more per month for a new car and everything thrown in.

I pretty much think our son will be with us all his life, I hope I'm proven wrong but I'd be very surprised if he gets a job, finds a partner and gets married etc. If it did happen we'd be able to stretch to another car out of our finances.
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 16th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    Thanks, interesting about the commuting and road tax issue, just don't want to be left with invalid insurance if we had a prang or something

There's no way I'd pay £48 for a Picanto but a Kadjar at £57 with 75mpg sounds tempting

We never usually buy a car and run it into the ground anyway, it's usually the case of paying a car off, PXing it for a newer one and getting that over 5yrs @ £200 a month or something then repeat. This scheme wouldn't cost much more per month for a new car and everything thrown in.

I pretty much think our son will be with us all his life, I hope I'm proven wrong but I'd be very surprised if he gets a job, finds a partner and gets married etc. If it did happen we'd be able to stretch to another car out of our finances.
    Originally posted by arenaman
    With the Kadjar over the 3 years you will have paid out approx. £8892.
    First of all you have to work out if you bought one new and part ex'd it after 3 years how much would you have lost in depreciation.?
    Then how much would you have paid out in servicing, insurance and recovery over 3 years.

If the loss and the overheads come to more than £8892, then Motability is a good bet.

Unfortunately due to a small minority of previous customers who abused the Motability scheme by leasing a £75,000 Range Rover for £57 a week, Motability quite rightly now restrict cars according to their price. If you were in the market for an up market model and manufacturer then Motability wont be able to help you. Hence why we have to buy our own cars as they are nearly double the maximum price than Motability will allow.
    • arenaman
    • By arenaman 16th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    arenaman
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    It works out quite favourably to go for the Kadjar or similar, not necessarily because it's a £20k car but because we need something of a decent size as my son's 6 foot 6 and it has good MPG with no other financial outlay over the 3 years.

Having said that it's nice to have a better vehicle and it seems a disproportionate difference between the cheaper cars compared to the more expensive ones and is better to go for the more expensive ones. I could buy an £8K Kia Picanto over 3 years for the same price it would cost to rent one via motability so that wouldn't be cost effective.

I reckon it would work out at £248 a month for a Kadjar, I currently pay £160 a month over 5 yrs (with a deposit down) on my 13 plate Fiesta Zetec which was £11k new.

I could sell our other car (11 plate Micra) and pay off the year I have left on the Fiesta with that money as I don't want to be shelling out for 2 cars at the same time.

I worked out you could factor in £70 a month easy, maybe more for Insurance, breakdown, tax, MOT, repairs, wear and tear (tyres etc)

Then my Fiesta does 40mpg (not too good) whereas the Kadjar is much better, there's about £20 a month saving in fuel so it starts to work out cheaper per month to do this and driving a new car at the same time.

As we never keep a car usually longer than 5 years and are usually always getting a new or nearly new one and constantly have some sort of finance going then I see thsi scheme as quite good.

I notice Evans Halshaw are doing a deal on the Kadjar, £245 a month with £245 down over 4 yrs though it's not cost free, you pay for the insurance, servicing etc then there's GMV payment at the end of 4 yrs or hand it back, limited to 6000 miles a year. Comared to that the motabilty deal is much better.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 16th Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    • 16,254 Posts
    • 28,387 Thanks
    Ames
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    Don't forget to have a proper test drive, with any equipment you'll be using. Your son might find it hard to get in/out of a car, or the boot might be too small. The motability advisor at the dealer should be able to help, but it would be worth visiting a few different dealers.

Also, if your son might be learning to drive (you said you weren't sure) not all cars are available to drivers under the age of 25.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • arenaman
    • By arenaman 16th Mar 17, 1:36 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    arenaman
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:36 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:36 PM
    Don't forget to have a proper test drive, with any equipment you'll be using. Your son might find it hard to get in/out of a car, or the boot might be too small. The motability advisor at the dealer should be able to help, but it would be worth visiting a few different dealers.

Also, if your son might be learning to drive (you said you weren't sure) not all cars are available to drivers under the age of 25.
    Originally posted by Ames
    Yes thanks, it is suitable for under 25s, he doesn't turn 17 until September so IF he is capable of driving and taking his lessons then we'll get him added (I'm sure we can do that).

Not sure he'll need any adaptations yet, he scored 0 for the movement aspect of the PIP but 12 for planning and following a journey so he can physically move and walk but his condition means he's not capable of going anywhere unaccompanied.

I don't think he'll qualify for a blue badge actually which is probably fair, he needs wheels to be taken places or for us to get things for him but doesn't really need a disabled space as we can park in a normal space and he can walk with us.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,977Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin