Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 15th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 21Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    0 WOW
    Sainsbury's cancels spring Nectar 'double-up' promo
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    0 WOW
    Sainsbury's cancels spring Nectar 'double-up' promo 15th Mar 17 at 4:04 PM
    Loyalty point collectors have been dealt a blow after supermarket giant Sainsbury's announced it won't be holding its 'double-up' event as expected this month....
    Read the full story:
    'Sainsbury's cancels spring Nectar 'double-up' promo'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • robin58
    • By robin58 15th Mar 17, 6:32 PM
    • 1,414 Posts
    • 1,261 Thanks
    robin58
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:32 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:32 PM
    Well Sainsburys, continue to put nails into your coffin!

You cut your nectar points to 1 per pound.

You put all your prices up in January buy 10% at least whilst even your most expensive competitor , Waitrose is cheaper on some items now.

You promise a better offer later.What, one of your useless buy £10 of goods and if your lucky you get a few megare points.

And on top of that you are screwing your stockup staff with 4 hour shift windows in the morning or nightime with of course pay and conditions changes.

You moaned about the business rates but your were I understand £19m better off.

Well I am glad I only use Sainsburys now only for goods that I can't get elsewhere. Thats bad considering I have given my custom to my local store over the last 28 years it's been there.

All I can say Sainsburys is, 'Goodbye and thanks for the fish!'
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • mabelcable
    • By mabelcable 15th Mar 17, 10:29 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    mabelcable
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:29 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:29 PM
    Very disappointed to hear about no double up.
    I was a regular Sainsbury's shopper and collected Nectar points from the Adpoints, till print outs and My Coupons site to use at the double up events.
    Over the last 18months the points were harder and harder to build up and my shopping cost was going up . I used to get about £150 worth to double up but at the last 1 I only had £40 and that was a struggle .
    After that I started shopping in Waitrose and using their Pick your own offers . I have only been in Sainsburys once this year, the only thing i miss is the Fairtrade teabags and the cooked ham. Waitrose cooked meats are very expensive so i have been trying the Aldi ones as it has opened a store across the road from Waitrose.
    Sainsburys have stopped rewarding me for my loyalty so i have taken it elsewhere.
    Mabel
    • minislim
    • By minislim 16th Mar 17, 9:14 AM
    • 258 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    minislim
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:14 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:14 AM
    Yet another punishment to loyal sainsburys shoppers.

They cut the amount of nectar points the other year. but promised that you would get more "deals" vouchers at the till. that failed to materialise.

then did away with the brand match scheme. but promised comparable low prices.
    after that they appeared to up their prices higher than any of the other supermarkets. dont know why?

now recently even their petrol/diesel which used to match the cheapest in the area has stopped. now its 4 to 5p a litre dearer than the closest cheapest supermarket.

im a bit of a savvy shopper geek. as i have the opportunity to visit sainsburys, asda, morrisons and aldi. so i pick out the deals each week and get them from were is cheapest. inevitably i see other things that i might impulse buy.
    but with all this going on. that visit to sainsburys has effectively stopped. there no point going in as its all dearer.

i really dont know who's coming up with all these ideas? but its well on the road to commercial suicide. put off people going there!

and then they come up with the most pointless and stupid "food dancing" advertising campaign? what a load of nonsense!

i predict that sainsburys might not be around in the next couple of years!
    • LuxuryWoman
    • By LuxuryWoman 16th Mar 17, 10:19 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    LuxuryWoman
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:19 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:19 AM
    I was looking forward to this, I have around £50 in points currently.
    Sainsburys has got so expensive though, back to Mr T I go (No other choice around here)
    I prefer Sainsburys as I love the homewares and clothing but I can live without them.

I used to gain a lot of points with Nectar Canvass but those surveys are few and far between now, I was also getting loads (£10 or £15 a week) with E-Rewards but they seem to have de-activated my account (they say due to inactivity but I suspect it's really over activity)

I may as well just go and spend my points on a few nice things then and forget about it going forward.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 16th Mar 17, 11:21 AM
    • 17,536 Posts
    • 7,116 Thanks
    richardw
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:21 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:21 AM
    Nectar, which was never any good really, gets worse.
    The double up promotion was only ever on stuff with a massive profit margin anyway, it's not like it was really costing them much.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • nick78447
    • By nick78447 16th Mar 17, 1:11 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    nick78447
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:11 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:11 PM
    Very annoyed by this. Like many others, I've jumped through all the various "hoops" now required to earn points (wine and cleaning products bulk bought etc.) only to find the offer has been withdrawn seemingly on a whim.

This will keep me away from Sainsburys for a good while.
    • davetrousers
    • By davetrousers 16th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 4,739 Thanks
    davetrousers
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    Nectar, which was never any good really, gets worse.
    Originally posted by richardw
    Agreed, Nectar has always been pretty rubbish

• Bumblebear
    • By Bumblebear 16th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    Bumblebear
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    Agreed, I'm a Sainsbury's shopper from a Sainsbury's shopper family, aside from a couple of years where the nearest shop to where I've lived has been too out of the way. Like others I've been savvy with my points over the years and we've done pretty well out of it, free EasyJet flights, and I bought our first Christmas decorations including tree, and a slow cooker, all from our points on a double up promotion, clothes for me etc. I didn't think that was too shabby considering they were earned buying food we needed to eat anyway, fuel we needed in cars anyway (also cheapest in the area) and the cheapest energy tariff for us.

I thought I was going mad when MySupermarket kept saying that Sainsbury's was second dearest nearly all the time for my lists, sometimes being beaten by Mr Ocado - but it sounds like it's not just me noticing the bills creeping up. I spotted the other evening that there were hardly any promotions on either. The ends of aisles where the BOGOHP, introductory offers etc, were all gone. Just washing liquid and gravy granules. Whilst promotions can make us impulse buy or waste food, which are both bad, sometimes said promotions are on things that you were going to buy anyway - so that's another loss. I'm leaning towards giving up with them and travelling a bit further to go to Mr M - more reasonably priced, more British produce and wonky veg!
    • extrafisher
    • By extrafisher 16th Mar 17, 4:02 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 829 Thanks
    extrafisher
    I think people are being a bit miserable. Tesco cancelled theirs, sainsburys will be back later in year.

Plus they are replacing it with another offer which may still be good.
    • minislim
    • By minislim 16th Mar 17, 5:10 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    minislim
    I think people are being a bit miserable. Tesco cancelled theirs, sainsburys will be back later in year.

Plus they are replacing it with another offer which may still be good.
    Originally posted by extrafisher
    or will that also fail to materialise?
    • netimka
    • By netimka 1st Apr 17, 9:56 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 37,818 Thanks
    netimka
    wonder when or if we hear about this new offer as its April today and nothing yet...
    This will be mine in 2009 member's club no. 359 Cash £1000+, Holiday, Handbag
    Aug wins: The Good The Bad The Weird On Blu-ray~Benecol Bag for Life

• mabelcable
    • By mabelcable 2nd Apr 17, 11:00 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    mabelcable
    I checked my Nectar page yesterday and there was nothing just a 50 point offer for Ebay. There haven't been any Sainsbury offers on the Nectar page for ages.
    • netimka
    • By netimka 3rd Apr 17, 8:28 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 37,818 Thanks
    netimka
    dont think we will be getting any deals now :-( just hope they still go ahead with double up in November ...
    This will be mine in 2009 member's club no. 359 Cash £1000+, Holiday, Handbag
    Aug wins: The Good The Bad The Weird On Blu-ray~Benecol Bag for Life

• LuxuryWoman
    • By LuxuryWoman 11th Apr 17, 8:32 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    LuxuryWoman
    I just realised I don't seem to get till spits anymore either, they were often useful, I liked the 700 points for a £20 clothes spend and used to work that offer to full advantage.
    • givememoney
    • By givememoney 18th Apr 17, 2:32 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    givememoney
    Yes they are rubbish now. A few years back we took our DGS to Legoland on nectar points. Three adults and himself got in for about £20 the rest of the entrance fee was paid in nectar points. Had we racked up at the gate, the cost would have been about £120.
    • LuxuryWoman
    • By LuxuryWoman 21st Apr 17, 8:56 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    LuxuryWoman
    My Coupons has been closed down now too, another source of Nectar points gone. Closing 6th May but there are no new coupons available, only ones that are already selected.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 21st Apr 17, 9:00 AM
    • 58,015 Posts
    • 333,384 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Sainsbobs is my closest main 4 supermarket - so I do use it more than the others, but begrudgingly so. It's not a terribly large store. It's "proper supermarket size" but on the small side. They never have what I'm looking for, prices are high and I often leave with nothing/disappointed.

It takes me about 2 years to get up to enough points at all to then use them in a purchase. Sometimes I try to spend them, but do not meet the criteria (which I can never remember) ... but there are things about minimum amount on the card, minimum spend this time - and even one that caught me out when I finally DID have a spend high enough to use the points I'd accumulated when it said "this is not your local store".

All this faffing with points and cards is a huge time waster and money waster. They should all just drop it ... speed up the tills and make you not feel you're "missing out" because you didn't manage to accumulate X points to get things you don't want anyway.
    • LuxuryWoman
    • By LuxuryWoman 21st Apr 17, 9:48 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    LuxuryWoman
    Sainsbobs is my closest main 4 supermarket - so I do use it more than the others, but begrudgingly so. It's not a terribly large store. It's "proper supermarket size" but on the small side. They never have what I'm looking for, prices are high and I often leave with nothing/disappointed.

It takes me about 2 years to get up to enough points at all to then use them in a purchase. Sometimes I try to spend them, but do not meet the criteria (which I can never remember) ... but there are things about minimum amount on the card, minimum spend this time - and even one that caught me out when I finally DID have a spend high enough to use the points I'd accumulated when it said "this is not your local store".

All this faffing with points and cards is a huge time waster and money waster. They should all just drop it ... speed up the tills and make you not feel you're "missing out" because you didn't manage to accumulate X points to get things you don't want anyway.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

I would prefer lower everyday prices but I have accumulated £160 nectar points since January and used them to buy clothes in the 25% off Tu sales, plus I've had some cracking bargains in the clearances (Egyptian cotton bath towels 80 pence! and £50 worth of good quality baking trays and chopping boards reduced to a pound or so then paid for with points)
    I agree that just collecting the on shopping is hardly worthwhile, but I do surveys for them and the 'my coupons' I mentioned meant they accumulated much quicker so I do find them worthwhile. Actually my entire wardrobe is just a long rack of Tu labels - all free!
    I also won £50 of points during the swipe to win (breaking up my transaction) I must be a pure nightmare to be behind in the queue.
    • chandlerscroft
    • By chandlerscroft 21st Apr 17, 10:47 AM
    • 2,554 Posts
    • 48,238 Thanks
    chandlerscroft
    I would prefer lower everyday prices but I have accumulated £160 nectar points since January and used them to buy clothes in the 25% off Tu sales, plus I've had some cracking bargains in the clearances (Egyptian cotton bath towels 80 pence! and £50 worth of good quality baking trays and chopping boards reduced to a pound or so then paid for with points)
    I agree that just collecting the on shopping is hardly worthwhile, but I do surveys for them and the 'my coupons' I mentioned meant they accumulated much quicker so I do find them worthwhile. Actually my entire wardrobe is just a long rack of Tu labels - all free!
    I also won £50 of points during the swipe to win (breaking up my transaction) I must be a pure nightmare to be behind in the queue.
    Originally posted by LuxuryWoman
    Wow £160 in Nectar points that is some serious spending to accumulate that in 4 months
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,180Posts Today

8,612Users online

Martin's Twitter